CCP Drops the Hammer With "Unholy Rage"

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
Well done, CCP! I hope other companies take lessons from you! Unfortunately I don't think the RMT suppliers will stop until the demand for RMT stops, though...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
hansari said:
Malygris said:
CCP Drops the Hammer With "Unholy Rage"
Why call it "unholy rage" though? It sounds a bit cheesy to me.

I wonder if in the department they made it sound all official and militaristic. "Gentleman, in 0200 hrs, OPERATION UNHOLY RAGE will launch!!"
I've spent some time in the past attempting to stop RMT activity and clean up the messes they create. As a player you may see a handful of spam messages during your playtime and get annoyed. As the CS rep on the other side you get to see that each player that spends $10 in an RMT buy results in hundreds of thousands more spam messages being sent and all players being annoyed. The day you find out that player had also complained to CS constantly about how the spam was ruining things... "Unholy Rage" seems like a perfectly reasonable name for the operation.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
This was awesome news to hear. 30% fewer resources being used is a LOT when you take into account all the servers they have to combine to make it one single world. As a whole, though, the EVE community is pretty good about ignoring the spammers in chat. Even in the rookie channels, everyone just tells you to block the spammers and submit a ticket. Way better than other games i've seen (Blizzard, i'm looking sidelong at you...)

backster

Jul 15, 2008
Yeah it sounds pretty great till you realize that they banned the account and not the owners, it makes them money hand over fist and they get to say they killed off so many accounts when you will notice they didn't drop the numbers of subscribers because they let them re-up another group of accounts. Please don't get me wrong it will take the RMT folks about a week to get back into the market again as they were working on hundreds of free accounts at the same time or do you really think they would be botting with only ten accounts when they can make thousands of accounts that pay for them selves in a few days! I watched after the start of this Bantastic voyage and I still see thirty CNRs flowing out for a day of Bot grinding and CCP responses the same way when you petition..."thank you for your concern we will look in this and take action. (The same groups every day never missed an hour...CCP like the other MMOs loves money and numbers too much to hit every RMT just the ones in a hundred ship mining fleet eating an ice belt every hour. Oh and two days later another group popped up with one live person per twenty pilots..they can adapt as easily as the system and tend to be faster each time. RMT users are never going to leave till you make the market such that people can't hand over isk or items without a spotlight always there and no MMO is going to employee the people to over see all transactions.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Yeah it sounds pretty great till you realize that they banned the account and not the owners, it makes them money hand over fist and they get to say they killed off so many accounts when you will notice they didn't drop the numbers of subscribers because they let them re-up another group of accounts.
How would you ban the owners? IP addresses can be either proxied or even moved to a different physical address. You also run the risk of catching legitimate players in the IP ban net which is something no company wants to do. Credit cards can be replaced or different ones can be used and a new e-mail address takes a minute and a half to set up.

Of course the bots will still exist. As long as people use their services and buy 'gold' (or, ISK in the case of EVE) then there will be bots to grind the gold for them. Nothing will change unless the playerbase does. However, castrating the bots - if only temporarily - obviously has a positive effect as displayer by the CPU change reports listed in the article.

backster

Jul 15, 2008
You are 100% right there really is no way to stop them without hurting innocent users.

A friend of mine plays WOW maybe one hour a day five days a week as real life takes the rest of his time. Then one day he had everything that took me weeks to get and bragged that he had done it through buying gold! I was disappointed in the end he payed someone to get what he did not have time for and because of him some gold farmer now spams the crud out of everyone!
I did the only thing that a friend could do, I took pitty on him, patted him on the back and told him I understood and then reported him. After his account was banned and he made a new one I worked with him to understand that five hours a week for three years is better than one hour of listening to gold spams while trying to put stuff up on auction. He found out shortly after his restart that if you make a female character (Not even a good looking one) you can make more gold in a hour dancing then three weeks of grinding quests! He now does TS sessions for people for gold...excuse me while I go puke at the thought of a thirty year old male TSing to three people who think he is a 22 year old college student who broke up with her boyfriend and just wants to find romance on line.

Oh and he got me back in spades for those that think reporting him was a crappy thing to do. He got my log in and password from my brother one night and payed a leveling service to level one of my alts while I was on vacation. He then called me the last day of vacation and mentioned that I shouldn't be using leveling services and that I could be banned for it. I get back to find that the service had leveled the character though it was still in level 40 gear and there wasn't a single coin on it..and had to go through hell and a lot of phone conversations with Blizzard over it as I had to report it as a hack or face the Power of lemon fresh BAN! Character was deleted which sucked as I had gotten him up to 40 with a mount but the others are safe from the taint and my brother doesn't play on my account anymore!