CD Projekt Boss Drops the Dime on Witcher 2 for Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CD Projekt Boss Drops the Dime on Witcher 2 for Consoles

It looks like The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Collectors-Pc/dp/B004CQRCF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303922662&sr=8-2] will be coming to consoles after all, if a Google translation of a German report of a Polish television interview is to be believed.

It's hard to say that speculation about a console version of The Witcher 2 has been running rampant - this isn't collapsed [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303922694&sr=8-1] in 2009 and since then the studio has shown no great interest in straying off the ranch, but in a recent interview on Polish television, CD Projekt co-founder Michal Kicinski said the game is in fact coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and won't actually be very far behind the PC release.

So it seems, anyway; bear in mind that the original statement was made on a television show which was then reported by a Google [http://www.ps3site.pl/hot-wiedzmin-2-takze-na-playstation-3-michal-kicinski-pracujemy-nad-tym/69024/]. At best, it's a clunky interpretation of Kicinski's words; at worst, it's all a big, fat, heavily-accented lie.

"Yes, it is for us a completely new project, but of course we are already working on it," Kicinski allegedly said, sort of, when asked if the game will be released on consoles. "You can assume that we [will tell] you during major events such as E3 and the Gamescom [and will] be informed about this further."

That's obviously a little rough around the edge and CD Projekt isn't being particularly helpful with details. "We'd love to bring The Witcher to consoles," said CDP PR VP Tom Ohle, "but have not announced any such plans."

The report claims that CD Projekt Red is focused on the PC release of The Witcher 2 and that the console version will lag about three or four months behind, so we won't have to wait too terribly long to find out if this is true. In the meantime, CD Projekt did confirm today that the game has gone gold; The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings comes out on May 17, exclusively (so far) for the PC.

via: Blue's [http://www.bluesnews.com/s/121124/the-witcher-2-console-plans-confirmed]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I'd love for the Witcher 2 to come to consoles, so any thoughts that it's a hyper-complex franchise for PC gamers might be destroyed. Actually, I don't even know if there are any thoughts like that. The only criticism for the first game I've heard is from Zero Punctuation...

Oh fuck nugget, who cares? The changes to the game makes it seem that it will be perfect for the console. Only problem I can think of would be if the interface was shit, but I believe in Projekt Red to make perfection once again.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
PC Master Race mass QQing in 3....2....1....

Serious: Well isn't that nice? Still, I'm a bit curious to see how the game will be.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"It looks like The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will be coming to consoles after all, if a Google translation of a German report of a Polish television interview is to be believed."

Crikey.

Every time someone does a written interview that's been translated once, there's an update to the story the next day about how a word had gone amiss and what they said was actually completely different.

I wouldn't pay any attention to this.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
If this is true: FRELL YEAH! We didn't get rise of the white wolf, but at least we will get the sequel. I love me some WRPGs, and I have heard some excellent things about The Witcher franchise, but being a person who (mostly) plays on consoles I never had a chance to play it. I will be keeping an eye on this...

If not: :'(

WinExploder

Mar 14, 2011
Since I speak German i can safely confirm the rumor if the information on the site is legit. So yeah, Witcher 2 is coming to consoles in about 4 months.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I don't care as long as they keep up the standard on PC.

Crysis 2 was not a bad game but it did needlessly suffer from console-itis that knocked it down a peg or two.

Apr 28, 2008
Not surprisingly, given the Witcher runs on the engine 2 can
Work on consoles. I would like to bring it to consoles
good. Everyone should play The Witcher, it's a fantastic RPG.
The Witcher 2, it seems to improve in every way, especially with
Fight that is unbelievable.

I am fully behind the idea, amazing more people in this
Game.

This has been an English to Polish to German to English translation

Huh, not as mangled as I would have thought.

But seriously, more people playing The Witcher = awesome. Show people what a branching story really is.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hey, if I have to wait, what, a year to play Fable 3 on PC then no biggie for there to be a delay in getting Witcher 2 on consoles ;)

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
This is true, I confirm the translation however the console version is to come 3-4 months after the PC launch.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Well, isn't that how it always is? Raise revenues on the PC market, then expand to the consoles...

Hopefully, in the future they'll still optimize the PC version like DICE and Valve.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Watch it come out in two years, and only on the new Nintendo platform. Oh I'd laugh.

But anyways, good. Nice to have more people playing a (hopefully) great game.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Atheist. said:
Watch it come out in two years, and only on the new Nintendo platform. Oh I'd laugh.

But anyways, good. Nice to have more people playing a (hopefully) great game.
Thats kinda how it is for us PC gamers when console games gets ported to the PC.

EgonCom

Aug 5, 2009
I just love this sentence: "a Google translation of a German report of a Polish television interview is to be believed"

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so basically they are gonna release the game on PC and then get to work on porting it to consoles. which will take 3-4 month. so why do i have to wait 4 month for ass creed and 12 month for fable?
i just hope for console gamers that they work on the menus, what i have seen of those so far makes them a ***** to navigate without a mouse.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I suppose the fact that the game is using a circular HUD and that the combat SUDDENLY mapped to the first two keys has just NOTHING to do with the Witcher coming to the consoles at all.