CD Projekt Details Cyberpunk 2077

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I've got quite a bit of the old Cyberpunk material. About the only thing the alternative history in it has going for it is how completely off the rails it is from how anything actually turned out. The EU is the dominant economic power, for example, and the Euro the world reserve currency, rather than the economic basket case that could fly apart at any moment.

It was very much in vogue to minimize the nation state and play up the corporation in early cyberpunk, but what we ended up with was big business and big government backing one another, and yes, there's a difference between that and a weak/collapsed government overrun by extraterritorial corporations. I'd love to see a cyberpunk setting that took more of that into account, rather than the same old same old which feels pretty stale and dated by this point.

Though this is set in 2077, so maybe they'll remake some of the timeline? But based on what I saw in the Cybergeneration timeline, I'm not holding out much hope.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
I've been looking forward to this game ever since I heard it was announced. (CDProjekt RPG, awesome, cyberpunk, even more awesome!)

I do hope they get the science right, in DE:HR the attention to detail when it came to the science of the implants was quite impressive.

Jack_in_theGreen

Apr 20, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
It's hard to tell in that image but if you look at the original (the site is currently down for some reason, but it's there), she actually appears to be either a cyborg or a heavily augmented human. It's quite arguable that the outfit is meant to expose the woman's meta-humanism as much as it is as straight-up "sex sells" marketing.

Actually, she is most probably meant to be Alt Cunningham, an iconic "netrunner" from the original game, that was treacherously killed by the evil corporation Araska (sorry, spoilers :p). Later, her "digital ghost" was able to break free into the net...

Some of us think that they are bringing her back as a playable character for this new setting, as one of the shots from the teaser trailer revealed yesterday, clearly shows a cyborg-hand with "red painted nails".

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/3615/cyborghand.jpg

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Let's see. A game based on one of my favorite game genres and systems, done by the makers of (arguably) the best action RPG's on the planet with the best storylines written. Sirs, kindly shut up and take my money. Now.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Great, I've been waiting for more information on this. Still not much but enough to get me excited. Everything about this sounds very promising, we'll see what CD Project will do with this.

Aug 31, 2012
mattaui said:
Though this is set in 2077, so maybe they'll remake some of the timeline? But based on what I saw in the Cybergeneration timeline, I'm not holding out much hope.
I think cybergeneration was always considered "alternative universe" to main 2020.

Having watched the presentations on the site it might be a rewrite of Cyberpunk V3. Mike Pondsmith mentions the end of the 4th corporate war but there's nothing said about V3 (very wisely IMO) so maybe he's using this to "reboot" the franchise after V3 bombed and shifting the timeline a bit so it makes more sense to people who aren't familiar with the original.

Jack_in_theGreen said:
Actually, she is most probably meant to be Alt Cunningham, an iconic "netrunner" from the original game, that was treacherously killed by the evil corporation Araska (sorry, spoilers :p). Later, her "digital ghost" was able to break free into the net...
Hey now, that was an accident! Sure, they would probably have killed her anyway but it was the rescue team that actually cut her lifeline, as it were.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
DrunkOnEstus said:
Another game from CDProject based on some rather esoteric source material...but that's not a complaint. I read some of the Witcher books because of the games, so now I wouldn't mind looking into the ruleset of this game for my next currently unplanned tabletop session.

Most importantly, good on them for making the kind of games they want to, they wish a game existed so they go ahead and make it real. Mark me as totally excited about this.

EDIT: I hadn't realized Cyberpunk was so popular, I've played a lot of D20 settings (I don't imagine this is) and never heard of it. My mistake for equating "I don't know about it" to "esoteric"

Now that I was thinking about this game more, I hope they take their time and release it a little closer to their ideal state. I appreciated all the patches, DLC, and revisions for Wither 2 being free, but it was kinda jarring sometimes to get new quests for areas I'd already been through, and the many restarts I did because "now it's the definitive experience" or director's cut, or whatever it may be called. Then again, if I finished it near launch and they went ahead and overhauled the whole damn thing, it would be an incentive to re-visit it. I imagine they're quite the perfectionists over there.

Don't feel bad, I HAVE heard of it, and played and GMed it more than a few times (have a pretty huge stack of the books still), and agree with you that it counts as esoteric. It's one of those "also ran" RPGs that enjoyed a degree of success among pnp RPG gamers and spawned a good number of supplements and multiple editions BUT never achieved anything like the semi-mainstream recognition of games like "Dungeons and Dragons", "Vampire: The Masquerade" or even "Shadowrun" enjoyed at various times.

It was one of the first games to come up with a fair way of handling cyberware, and was perhaps the first I seriously played that used a system of damage scales, basically a big thing being needed to take out a big thing, so you couldn't say blow a tank away with enough shots from a handgun. Palladium came up with a more famous (and also much simpler, and also much parodied) system but I first encountered the basic idea with CP2020.

Basically, don't let fanboys get you down. I actually think one of Cyberpunk's saving graces was that it never got too mainstream. Trying to cater to more casual gamers and an increasingly younger player base and lower human denominator was part of what lead to D&D's degeneration over the years, but that's another entire discussion.

-

As far as the news goes, I'm cautious. My gut feeling is that this will be a cash grab made in hopes of revitalizing the property (taking something fairly obscure and making it more mainstream through game exposure) and while good for the pocketbooks of R. Talslorian or whomever holds the CP2020 liscence and CD Projeckt won't be good for the property.

In the final equasion I just think CD Projekt might be good, but they are all wrong for this material. Sure they do dark, edgy, stuff, but they tend to not really be freeform enough to really create a true RPG world. "The Witcher" worked because it was dealing with a series of novels, doing minimal character development when you get down to it, and basically telling a story that could be heavily controlled by the definition of the protaganist they were using.

One of the big strengths of CP 2020, like any successful RPG, is the character generation system. That's the big hook that grabs people and what a successful game builds on in spades. You take that, and the diverse kinds of characters that can be created, away from it and it's pretty much "meh". It's the way you can control the mechanics in CP 2020 and what you can do with them rather than the system itself, and if someone hands you "Billy Bob, the cyber merc" the way they do with Geralt and then build the world around that one perspective, your losing like 90% of the point of wanting to use this engine to begin with. See in CP 2020 you could play as the Solo (mercenary guy) but also as a Fixer, Reporter (Max Headroom), Cop (Judge Dredd), or even one of the corperate dudes who is typically a genere villain. It's also a setting where outside of the cities is totally lawless (again think Judge Dredd) and you have bands of Nomads (think Mad Max) terrorizing everything, which are another player option. Bringing all those diverse elements together and experiencing the world from any of those perspectives (or variations on them) is part of the point.

I'd also point out that if they DO indeed do this, they might need to go further than 2077. If the idea is to use the world, they already did CP 2020's "future" in a game called "Cyber Generation". A sequel that met with mixed results but was kind of fun. Basically the so called "Dark Future" ends and things civilize, but a technological accident releases clouds of nanites that infect large numbers of kids and give them nano-based powers, this being referred to as "The Carbon Plague". Cybergeneration basically being about the future of the 2020 universe where you play as one of those kids that are being hunted down by the now totalitarian semi-utopian society.

Now yes, I'm an uber-nerd (and have admitted it before), but I'm one of those people who looks at people picking up a property and has to wonder if they realy want that property or just some elements of it, and if it's just some elements of it, why bother to keep the name or association?

In the end this is a case where I feel a lot of fans are going to get stepped on if they view this as a real CP 2020 revival of sorts. Truthfully I think CD Projeckt would do better to drop the entire "Cyberpunk 2020" referance and system, create their own dark future game from scratch, and just use Mr. Pondsmith as a consultant. Everyone gets paid, and honestly I think a lot of people would be happy to see CP 2020 have ended with some fond memory rather than being re-animated from it's pseudo-grave and made to dance around until it collapses into a pile of muck that will taint the fond memories it previously spawned.

Such are my thoughts.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A bit odd, but the Cyberpunk blog is now up at cyberpunk2077.com. Don't know if the original is coming back, but either way, here's a better look at that pic:

And since that's still relatively low-res, a link to the full size images: http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D7D/www/cyberpunk/img/1600x1200_GIRL-CP77.jpg

OutsiderEX

Jul 18, 2011
I love Cyberpunk 2020 as a system and the setting isn't bad at all if you want decent 80s Cyberpunk.

This has my interest.

Jack_in_theGreen

Apr 20, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
A bit odd, but the Cyberpunk blog is now up at cyberpunk2077.com. Don't know if the original is coming back, but either way, here's a better look at that pic:
There are TWO sites, one is managed by Pondsmith, the other by CDPRed; they both share the same articles.

mygocarp

Apr 2, 2012
Hmm, that characters arms sure look like some of the characters from Eden: It's an Endless World!. Perhaps the artists got some inspiration from it.

Can't recall the name of one of the characters, but I'll edit my post if I find it.

nexus

May 30, 2012
They already have my money.

Witcher 1 & 2 was pretty dense in the world & atmosphere department. I'd love to see that level of detail and passion translated into a heavy sci-fi setting. Hopefully it's not 3 years away or something, but it probably is..

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Colour me erect. By 'me', I of course mean my penis. Because I am excited, and not because of the picture. Well, the picture may have a little to do with it. Them's some sexy arms.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
CortexReaver said:
This image is completely tasteless. Half-naked woman with Adam Jensen-style blades, d'oh. My first impression is ruined.
If you watch this where the developers and the Franchise's origional creator explane some things. There is a lot of fluff in there. However they do explane that this image is based off part of the origional Pen and Paper game.
So yes it may be what is considered one of the "problems" with the current gaming industry. However it is just a shout out to the 1988 game.
Sad that it ruins the first impressions but I can see why it does.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
CortexReaver said:
This image is completely tasteless. Half-naked woman with Adam Jensen-style blades, d'oh. My first impression is ruined.
Pff, Wolverine did it first. The rest are just posers :p

OT: I just love the sci-fi/cyberpunk revival we are seeing these days. It brings a warmth to my old Pacesetter 2000 Overdrive

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
CortexReaver said:
Herp derp political correctness derpa herp.

OT: Looks interesting, big fan of the Witcher, interesting to see how they'll deal with writing a story based on a pen paper RPG rather than a book.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Finally got my hands on a copy of the Witcher 2 earlier this week. This announcement is like the cherry on top right now. :)

Jack_in_theGreen

Apr 20, 2012
I have a snip-bit of more information... :p Since a fan has been translating some Polish interviews...

1) "CYBERPUNK: 2077" will be a close continuation to the 2020 setting (so they will skip the V3 version). Everything that you can find in 2020; handbooks, the game mechanics, the atmosphere, "Soul in the machine", "Running on the edge" - all this will be included in the 2077 game. Definitely expect a combat system as deadly, dinamic and realistic as the original was.

2)The setting will have some retro elements.

3)CDP is specially working with Mike Pondsmith on filling the time gap between the 2020-2077 years with believable back-story and events.
As an example, Pondsmith mentioned during Thursday's conference the fact that the famous Arasaka Towers have been nuked in the last stage of the Fourth Corporate War, and the wasteland that emerged from that would be in dispute by a number of different gangs.

4)They are also focusing on balancing out the classes in a better way than in the PnP game (i.e. apparently Solo was too OverPowered).

5) Character customization is suposedly going to be HUGE.

6) The game is going to be a TRUE "sandbox". So no chapters, no mission hubs, just total freedom. You will be able to go wherever you want. Two other games have been mentioned in reference to this; C2077 will be much more open ended than "Deus Ex: HR" and closer to "Fallout".

7) "Night City" in the game will definitely include Cyberpunk's iconic locations like the Afterlife club; the game will also include tons of other little details and flavours for the PnP system fans, like past events references, etc.

It has been underlined and stressed a few times in the interviews (and I include it here as there could be some worries from the original game UBERFANS); THIS IS GOING TO BE A CYBERPUNK GAME AS CLOSE TO THE SOURCE AS IT GETS, NO COMPROMISES.

Thanks to Gregski who is an awesome Polish fan of CDProjektRED. :p

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I'm going to keep a close eye on this. No screenshots as of yet, but they've got Cyberpunk's creator Mike Pondsmith on board, if anyone knows how to be true to the original, it's him. This will be very interesting. My hopes are high after what was achieved with The Witcher and its sequel.