CD Projekt Gets Up Close With The Witcher 2

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Keava said:
tzimize said:
Er...what exactly does that mean? Will the GoG version have this check too?
Only retail, as in boxed copies. GoG version is 100% DRM free, Steam version has Steam DRM.
Cool. Glad I got it on GoG then. I'll be buying The Witcher for the second time there too. Fantastic game and completely deserves another 5$ from me.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
fierydemise said:
tzimize said:
Er...what exactly does that mean? Will the GoG version have this check too?
No, the GoG version will be entirely DRM free. Also you can start downloading the game on May 10th so GoG servers don't die on the 17th.

I suspect that the date check is a physical media only thing since its much easier to control access to digital distribution content, the Steam version will probably just have basic Steam DRM although if you are going digital unless you are really wedded to the steam platform there is no real reason not to buy from GoG.
Oh, I already have it pre-ordered on GoG. First time I've pre-ordered since forever. I support it both because of the DRM free platform, and because the Witcher is one of the best RPG games I have ever played :>

Apr 28, 2008
Yossarian1507 said:
Dude, chill... Judging from the infos, you won't even notice it's there, unless you'll want to play before May 17th.

Plus, you can order it from GoG, and don't have to deal it at all.

Adding up to your discussion about Steam with my fellow countryman: Poland is one of those few countries in the world, where PC gaming is still the king (for example - CoD: BlOps. 75% of sold copies in Poland are PC versions). And yeah, over here, it's way cheaper to buy the retail version that Steam version. In fact, I don't like Steam at all, because I'm not really using it's features, and it has to be on whenever I want to play Metro 2033 (the retail version).
Yeah, yeah. I know I'm being pretty pissy. Its just that every single time I've come into contact with Securom, it has never gone well. Its led to headaches, my game not working, and about an hour of trying to get it to work. Which sullies my mood and usually causes me to not like the game I'm playing that much.

Or in Spore's case, spending 2 months getting the pirated version because the legit version that I bought would not insteall because Securom thought it wasn't legit. Do you have any idea how much of a pain it is to download a 10+ gigabyte game on a flaky dial-up connection(about 30 kb/s)? It is not fun. At all.

And I did not know that Poland had a strong PC market. Well I suspected, since PC seems to still be big in central Europe, but didn't know for sure. And again, I understand it when people say they hate Steam. Something that offers nothing that interests you and that your forced to use sucks, no matter how good it is.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Irridium said:
Yossarian1507 said:
Dude, chill... Judging from the infos, you won't even notice it's there, unless you'll want to play before May 17th.

Plus, you can order it from GoG, and don't have to deal it at all.

Adding up to your discussion about Steam with my fellow countryman: Poland is one of those few countries in the world, where PC gaming is still the king (for example - CoD: BlOps. 75% of sold copies in Poland are PC versions). And yeah, over here, it's way cheaper to buy the retail version that Steam version. In fact, I don't like Steam at all, because I'm not really using it's features, and it has to be on whenever I want to play Metro 2033 (the retail version).
Yeah, yeah. I know I'm being pretty pissy. Its just that every single time I've come into contact with Securom, it has never gone well. Its led to headaches, my game not working, and about an hour of trying to get it to work. Which sullies my mood and usually causes me to not like the game I'm playing that much.

Or in Spore's case, spending 2 months getting the pirated version because the legit version that I bought would not insteall because Securom thought it wasn't legit. Do you have any idea how much of a pain it is to download a 10+ gigabyte game on a flaky dial-up connection(about 30 kb/s)? It is not fun. At all.

And I did not know that Poland had a strong PC market. Well I suspected, since PC seems to still be big in central Europe, but didn't know for sure. And again, I understand it when people say they hate Steam. Something that offers nothing that interests you and that your forced to use sucks, no matter how good it is.
Precisely the reason, I didn't buy Spore (that, and the negative reviews). But other than that, I don't remember that much securom hiccups in my gaming career. Then again, I'm one of those people who never encountered any major bugs in Alpha Protocol or New Vegas, so I guess I'm just that lucky.

Anyway, don't worry. I believe the quality of The Witcher 2 will redeem for all of this. I've seen the reviews of the first chapter of the game, and looks like it's going to be awesome (if you didn't know that stuff already, here's my thread about it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.277023-The-Witcher-2-looking-good-Polish-review-of-the-first-act#10769743]).

Apr 28, 2008
Yossarian1507 said:
Precisely the reason, I didn't buy Spore (that, and the negative reviews). But other than that, I don't remember that much securom hiccups in my gaming career. Then again, I'm one of those people who never encountered any major bugs in Alpha Protocol or New Vegas, so I guess I'm just that lucky.

Anyway, don't worry. I believe the quality of The Witcher 2 will redeem for all of this. I've seen the reviews of the first chapter of the game, and looks like it's going to be awesome (if you didn't know that stuff already, here's my thread about it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.277023-The-Witcher-2-looking-good-Polish-review-of-the-first-act#10769743]).
Didn't encounter any major bugs in New Vegas or Alpha Protocol? Wow, thats impressive. And I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really surprised.

And yeah, no doubt that Witcher 2's quality will easily make up for it all, but still, I really hate securom.

Also, I'm trying to avoid story-based things, since I want to go into it fresh. I already know quite a bit, and would rather not know anymore.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
I pre-ordered The Witcher 2 and I have high hopes for it, especially after the really disappointing RPG's of late. I don't really mind a one-time online activation. Just buy it from gog.com if it bothers you that much...

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
[HEADING=1]Buy from gog.com[/HEADING]
[ul]
[li]A sister company[/li]
[li]DRM free[/li]
[li]Even more content in addition to the normal DD edition[/li]
[li]1 free game of: "Beyond Divinity," "Divine Divinity," "Gothic II: Gold," "Realms of Arkania 1+2," "Realms of Arcania 3"[/li]
[li]$16 worth of in-store credit due to conversion rates (not perfect but the best there is to expect)[/li]
[/ul]

Before this I had decided to get a physical copy, normal edition, for 40 ?
Steam who?

Edit:
[HEADING=1]O_O[/HEADING]
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher said:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, the highly acclaimed RPG by CD Projekt RED, will come to GOG's storefront with tons of exclusive free goodies on May 10th for a regular price of $9.99--but we're offering a special discount in commemoration of The Witcher 2 coming to GOG.com. The game will be available at a 50% discount from May 10 until May 24, and will cost only [strong]$4.99[/strong]!
Are you happy? I am.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Andy Chalk said:
We might as well get this little tidbit out of the way first: the game will use SecuROM for a one-time online activation when it's installed. It's a minimal implementation that presenter Tomasz Gop, the senior producer on The Witcher 2, explained is not meant to be "troublesome" but simply to keep pirates at bay prior to launch. "It's pretty much the only way we could make sure that the game is going to be safe until May 17 and it's not the pirates who are going to play the game first," he said.
So that whole "no drm" hype was pure bullshit? Good to know that, I almost pre-ordered.
the gog version is totaly drm free the steam one will only use steam, its the physical edition that will have it and it sounds like its the kind that is only on the disk so that people arnt using it before hand but yeah it is annoying, it certainly gives the gog version a bit of a push

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I still cant decide which version to get, I love physical stuff but the gog one is totaly drm free and the steam one will have steam achievements and such

GAH choices!!!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
I don't mean the money but I just want the nudy calendar lol. I already own the EE edition so it would be cool to just register it with them and get all the goodies.
Ah. Well in that case I can get behind such a proposition!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ugh... SEcurom sucks balls, even for minimal implementation like that... and it won't stop pirates. I want this game so bad, but I hate securom, it can be so problematic... and it doesn't stop pirates.....

One more time, it doesn't stop pirates....

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kukulski said:
This is most likely the gaming equivalent of the "Dark Side of the Moon" and you are obsessing about one-time online activation?
I'm inclined to agree with this. But if you're that worried about it, order from GOG. Personally, I'm going retail - probably collector's edition. Le sigh.

Corylea

Nov 25, 2010
The first Witcher was a really fabulous game, and The Witcher 2 looks like it's going to be even better. I'm so psyched for this game!

And if you buy it on GOG.com, there's NO DRM at all. What other AAA game can say that it has zero DRM?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Baresark said:
Ugh... SEcurom sucks balls, even for minimal implementation like that... and it won't stop pirates. I want this game so bad, but I hate securom, it can be so problematic... and it doesn't stop pirates.....

It's not supposed to. Two reasons:
First, to stop the backroom leaks so that the delivery boy/guy at your local gameshop, etc. doesn't get to play before release. Small chance such people have knowledge as to how to break SecuROM. It's pretty much a day-0 protection.

Second reason is letting know your investors and publishers you actually have any sort of protection there because it's their money.
CDP is still a small local company, they don't have connections and contracts with retailers across the globe, it's a second game they made, they need help form publishers established on the market to get the product to the customers.

CDP people said in many interviews already they know DRM doesn't stop pirates and they stated they would want to release the game without any DRM but they know as well that's not in 100% their decision to make.

And again. If one time online activation is such an issue to whine about - get it on GOG.com no DRM there.

hieiwrath

Mar 20, 2009
I already have the witcher game and I will buy the witcher 2 from GOG, so I dont know what Im gonna do with it.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
As a PC gamer I still fail to understand why anyone cares so much about basic DRM like this, where you pretty much take an extra 30 seconds at most to check your copy online. "Oh but its the principle!!" "they are treating us like thieves!!!" Shut your fucking whining and play the bloody game. Enjoy something they carefully crafted over years of hard work, rather than being so insanely annoyed by the one little niggle they tacked on when they had finished.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Keava said:
Baresark said:

It's not supposed to. Two reasons:
First, to stop the backroom leaks so that the delivery boy/guy at your local gameshop, etc. doesn't get to play before release. Small chance such people have knowledge as to how to break SecuROM. It's pretty much a day-0 protection.

Second reason is letting know your investors and publishers you actually have any sort of protection there because it's their money.
CDP is still a small local company, they don't have connections and contracts with retailers across the globe, it's a second game they made, they need help form publishers established on the market to get the product to the customers.

CDP people said in many interviews already they know DRM doesn't stop pirates and they stated they would want to release the game without any DRM but they know as well that's not in 100% their decision to make.

And again. If one time online activation is such an issue to whine about - get it on GOG.com no DRM there.
I am familiar with the level of implementation they are using it for. I am honestly fine with zero day protection, but the fact that it's from SecuROM (thanks for correcting me on how that is supposed to be typed out btw), which has caused many problems for people in the past. I am still buying this on Steam, that isn't that big of a deal. And I'm not whining about it as much as I am stating that I hate SecuROM. And even if I get it through them, it's going to have that same DRM. Also, you said it's not to stop piracy as much as it is to prevent early leaks of the game, which is a piracy issue.