CD Projekt Red CEO: Cyberpunk 2077 will be "More Ambitious on Every Single Front"

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
CD Projekt Red CEO: Cyberpunk 2077 will be "More Ambitious on Every Single Front"

In a recent interview CD Projekt Red's Marcin Iwinski discussed the teams goals for upcoming RPG Cyberpunk 2077

Details on CD Projekt Red's upcoming RPG Cyberpunk 2077 have been scarce. But in a recent interview with GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-27-cd-projekt-games-will-follow-the-rockstar-model], CEO Marcin Iwinski says that the success of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has given the developer the resources to go bigger with the new game.

"We're paranoid about disappointing people," Iwinski said. "Even with a press release, we chew on it: What should it say? How should we say it? Is it fair? We have a test internally, which we use for the toughest cases: the 'explain it to a crowd of gamers test.' Let's say we need to make a decision on this or that piece of content in the package, and then we explain why we did that. If we convince ourselves...it's because it led to a better margin, it's probably not the right choice. It has to be about bringing value to the gamer."

Iwinski says that Cyberpunk 2077 will be "more ambitious on every single front," and that the priority is reaching "the next quality bar," not only for CD Projekt Red but for the market. Iwinski says that the company is going to take the time to make Cyberpunk 2077 "something really meaningful for the whole industry."

"The Witcher finished with 80 people, The Witcher 3 finished with 250, so Cyberpunk will probably be even more. Don't think about scale in terms of us doing 20 projects; no, we'll focus, we'll focus on certain things... We don't want to be a 10 project studio. The Rockstar model is nice."

You can check out the full interview here [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-27-cd-projekt-games-will-follow-the-rockstar-model].

Back in October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142722-Cyberpunk-2077-To-Be-CD-Projekt-Reds-Biggest-Title-Yet], CD Projekt Red visual effects artist Jose Teixeira said the game will be "far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, far bigger."

"We're really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter," Teixeira said. "If anything, working on The Witcher 3 was a really good and often brutal learning experience. Cyberpunk is going to benefit greatly from it. I can almost guarantee it."

Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer features [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117529-CD-Projekt-Red-Reveals-Cyberpunk]. The game does not yet have a firm release date.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
The Chinese Room (yes, the dev) already cleared it up that with "more ambitious", CD Projekt Red means more misogynistic than the The Witcher series.

Or in other words: The Chinese Room wants your attention. And they want to make sure that you know what you support if you buy stuff made by them.

To be precise: They said that on twitter in response to a tweet from CDPR about Cyberpunk 2077 being more ambitious, as far as my source goes. I try to never, ever touch twitter again.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Charcharo said:
Yes, at least it's worth a try (to ignore this). Since it's just twitter, not the entire company that is TCR. But it's just so low to drag down colleagues in this business, especially if the subject is worth controversy/discussion in a sane, non-extremistic environment.

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
Naldan said:
Charcharo said:
Yes, at least it's worth a try (to ignore this). Since it's just twitter, not the entire company that is TCR. But it's just so low to drag down colleagues in this business, especially if the subject is worth controversy/discussion in a sane, non-extremistic environment.
Here is the thing. it was the official Chinese Room twitter account. As such it isn't unreasonable to take it that the tweet is representative of the view of the Chinese Room employees, unless they themselves state otherwise.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, if anyone can pull off a project like this it would be CDPR. I'm glad to see they are taking all the boons of previous successes and just using them to further their ability rather than dilute it with multiple projects. However, those promises remind me of that space flight kickstarter that raised an inordinate amount of money and still isn't close to done.

I am so glad to see some more cyberpunk stuff; with vr and drones and stuff coming out it's a wonder why we haven't had more things themed for it.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Still no news on what the multiplayer will be?

Or at least a hint on what the multiplayer might possibly look like?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I hope it is like Witcher 3, in that there aren't loading transitions. I would love to be able to just wander around a huge cyber-sprawl, find some random corporation building I want to hack into, go up to it, find some entry ports, and just infiltrate the place, and find myself inside the building seamlessly. Go in, steal some random data files, and then leave to go sell them to a fence.

That would make me so cyber-giddy. *bounces in his chair*

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Aww, they actually talk like real human beings, not emotionless PR robots talking in buzzwords and double-speak until they're wheeled back to their containment chambers before rogue malfunctioning gives the game away (pun most definitely intended) to us all. A warm feeling grows inside, and this time it isn't wind, alcohol or narcotics.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Charcharo said:
Well... at least I wont have to compare it to the superior books, so I am looking forward to Cyberpunk! :)
Me too.. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. I think getting away from a book and pre-set characters should give them a lot more freedom. I want to see what they do with that freedom.

Blazing Hero said:
So is the girl in the trailer the protagonist or is it the guy standing behind her with the gun?
Information is rarer then the dodo, but as I understand it. It is both. You can pick your character this time around.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
nomotog said:
Charcharo said:
Well... at least I wont have to compare it to the superior books, so I am looking forward to Cyberpunk! :)
Me too.. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. I think getting away from a book and pre-set characters should give them a lot more freedom. I want to see what they do with that freedom.

Blazing Hero said:
So is the girl in the trailer the protagonist or is it the guy standing behind her with the gun?
Information is rarer then the dodo, but as I understand it. It is both. You can pick your character this time around.
Yeah it seems to imply that you are part of a Fast Response Team for rogue augmented, just like herself. Assuming the cinematic trailer has anything at all to do with the actual game plot. I hope I can play as not her, because while I love the thematic element of that trailer sequence, I'm not a fan of her Street Samurai augmentation build. Assuming I can just build her however I want, great, no problem. But if she's supposed to be the "melee slaying powerhouse" one, I'll pass on that for the sneakier kind. xD

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Blazing Hero said:
I believe the answer is neither. The "girl" involved in this is supposed to be a victim of cyberpsychosis and having gone berserk, something that happens when you load up on too much cyberware that it affects your mind. The police are putting her down. It's not that unusual an occurance and the police maintain special units to deal with insane cyborgs in the Cyberpunk 2020 setting which I believe this is based on. If you look closely at the artwork you can tell that as well as the girl in question is mostly mechanical.

I read the bit about what the trailer was supposed to be when CD PRoject Red got their initial wave of complaints over the trailer from the SJWs.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Blazing Hero said:
I think both. At the end of the trailer both of them sit in the same vehicle with the same equipment. Which suggest that she joined his team after he stoped her when she went insane for a moment.

Naldan said:
The Chinese Room (yes, the dev) already cleared it up that with "more ambitious", CD Projekt Red means more misogynistic than the The Witcher series.

Or in other words: The Chinese Room wants your attention. And they want to make sure that you know what you support if you buy stuff made by them.

To be precise: They said that on twitter in response to a tweet from CDPR about Cyberpunk 2077 being more ambitious, as far as my source goes. I try to never, ever touch twitter again.
Just read it. Hilarious. Seems they are getting desperate considering that their games have sold worse and worse as time went on.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Charcharo said:
nomotog said:
Charcharo said:

Blazing Hero said:
Yeah, without books to compare it to, the game will be free to do whatever it wants. Also it wont have a superior art form/work breathing down its neck all the time.

With that said, for all its problems I do love the Witcher 3 in large part because it is based on books I enjoy :(

Yes and no, the game is supposed to be based on the Cyberpunk RPG, formerly known as Cyberpunk 2020, I remember reading this and it's also sort of a give away given the way they write "Cyberpunk" in the ads which is the same as the RPG. So while not tied down by novels, they are apparently working within the constraints of an existing RPG setting, one which has been around for a loooong time.

The edition of CP2020 I have has character classes and such, so I'm guessing if this doesn't use a pre-defined main character it's one where you'll wind up choosing the type of character you want to play. I'm also guessing some character types such as Media (Max Headroom), Corporate, Nomad, and Police won't be available. Nomad for example would likely involve them putting in a robust vehicle combat system and possible a focus on what happens outside the megacities in the post-apocalyptic wasted lands of the USA. Such would also involve access to the kinds of resources that don't work well in a single player RPG.

Overall I'm expecting something similar to a revved up "Knights Of The Old Republic" except based around CP as opposed to D20 Star Wars.

Those eagerly awaiting this game might consider tracking down an old game called "Bloodnet" which is a Cyberpunk RPG with Vampires, which is one of the few attempts I know of to do a Cyberpunk setting that wasn't Shadowrun.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
The thing about creating a space is that it only exists once you have created it, saying it's big now is a plan or an expectation "We expect it to be bigger and more ambitious than The Witcher 3", whether you achieve that isn't known until you've actually finished the game, until then it's still in flux.
If it's set in a city with a focus on indoor environments it could easily feel like a 'smaller' game, if there's a healthy amount of stuff to do indoors that could offset the difference, if there's too much the rest of the game world could feel locked off from you, Crackdown was in a city and took place entirely outside but felt large, in Deus Ex:HR everything was in walking distance but the pace of the game made the world feel large enough, taking an elevator can feel like a big distance when your max speed is usually a light jog.

They face a massive challenge with this game, i love that they're making something completely different from The Witcher, but it certainly isn't without its risks.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Blazing Hero said:
I don't think either one of them is. I think the purpose of the only trailer that we were shown is to show us the general idea and the atmosphere that we can expect from the game (near future, where cybernetic augmentations aregetting out of control and turning people crazy, or something like that).