CD Projekt Red CEO Says Industry Execs Need to be More in Touch With Gamers

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Its kind of sad that this needs to be pointed out. And I don't even mean this from a pure consumer perspective. Taking a marketing course, first thing you are taught is that you need to understand the market and what people want, then you produce a customer-oriented strategy to deliver what your customers want, you then put it into practice, and then you build relationships with your customers by listening to them and providing value to them, and only once you've got this great relationship that you've built with customers, by giving them a lot of value and listening to them, do you start trying to take value from them by getting them to buy your products. You also don't centre your marketing around your products, you centre your products and your marketing around your audience. If your customers don't want red scarves, you don't make red scarves and try to trick them into buying them, you ask them what they want, make that, and sell them that.

To be fair, I can also see why this would be harder in the games industry. Devs have a personal stake in their games, and we decry creating games by committee for corporate interests, instead praising games that are made purely by devs. Thing is, this is bad, because this then means that devs will make what they want to make, and its up to marketing to try and sell this to consumers, rather than marketing listening to consumers, telling devs what consumers want, devs making that product, and marketers selling it to consumers.
A whole lot of better marketing is needed in the games industry. Amusingly enough, CDPR are doing it right. They create value, and build relationships with their customers. They sell their games, and advertise DLC and such, but its done in a way that's ok by most gamers, and its done to give us value - from memory the announcement of New Game+ for the Witcher mentioned it was a much asked for feature, which means maybe they had other plans for DLC 16, but instead listened to players. They've given us what we want, and now, when Blood and Stone or W/E comes out, we'll buy it in support of our relationship with them, and because we believe we'll gain value from it.

Most other companies go the wrong way about it, trying to tailor their games to statistics, rather than actually interacting with the market they're a part of. That, I feel, is slowly changing, but it is a little sad that its taking so long for what is, really, and intuitive and mutually beneficial strategy to adopt.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
008Zulu said:
They have a video promo of their cyberpunk game they are working on; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7_ZTI1OwCk
Huh, I remember that now. January 2013, that's over a year and a half ago. I didn't really clue into who was making it at the time.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This is one of those situations were I agree with everything they say, they just sound so damn patronizing when they do it. Like an article we had a few months back when a comic book writer stated "It's so easy to include diverse characters". He's right, it is god damn easy, but you don't have to sound like a total jackass when you say it.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Rednog said:
1 is the "beard and hairstyle set" which I actually have to question as being legitimate DLC, considering it came out on launch and the whole hair/beard thing as part of the main quest in the introductory area. Don't get how this is some DLC when the mechanic is a part of the main story of the game.
Small correction, but I believe the beard and hair DLC added more new styles and the ability to choose what type of beard you want and have it stay that way. If you disable the DLC the only option you have at the barber is a few hairstyles and the ability to get clean shaven and have the beard grow back dynamically. If you want the mutton chops or the goatee or any of the other beard types you need to have the DLC enabled to select them and it disables the dynamic beard growth until you shave clean again.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zetatrain said:
In spite of this I eventually did get sucked into the game thanks to the game's lore and setting which are its strongest assets. Unfortunately it wasn't until Act 3 that I got sucked in, and it was a lot more than 10 hours (more like 20) before this happened.

I managed to slog through the prologue and Act 1, but once I got to Act 2 (Vizima) it felt like hitting a brick wall. I'm not quite sure what it was but something about that act just made the whole game feel like chore. This made me drop the game and every few months I would return to try and get through it only to drop it again after a couple hours. I started the game in 2013 and it wasn't until May of this year that I finally got past Act 2. If it wasn't for the Witcher 3 I probably would have still been stuck on Act 2.

In the end I'm glad I stuck with the Witcher 1, because I feel it made me appreciate the Witcher universe and, by extension, the Witcher 3 much more than if I hadn't completed it. Still, I find it hard to recommend the game to others because of how long it took me to complete it.
Almost every word of this is exactly what happened with me. Started the Witcher 1 ages ago, slogged to midway through Act 2. Gave up because I just couldn't be bothered with it. Picked it up again for a bit and got to a bit through Act 3 and then dropped it again. Then about a month before the Witcher 3 came out I said "oh shit I'd better get caught up" and I forced myself through it again, and eventually started to enjoy it a lot more. Finished the game and immediately started the Witcher 2. Beat that game within about a week or so and was able to start the Witcher 3 a couple days after it launched :p

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Pyrian said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
"...I think it's time for some guns, androids, and some ammo. And a necropolis. So this is what we'll be working on." - Marcin Iwinski
And suddenly, I am already hyped. =D
I second that!

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
God Bless you CDPRojektRed.

I hope to see many more quality games coming out in the coming years. You're the guys that always deserve my money, and I hope other companies begin taking notes.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Charcharo said:
It is a great achievement.

Too bad it still is not as good as the books in these things...
I don't know. I actually prefer writing in TW3 than any of the books. And CD Project RED really payed a lot of attention to source material this time. They went so far with attention to detail that they actually gave Geralt all the facial expressions that he often makes in the books. His sarcastic smirk is exactly what I wanted it to be.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
Rebel_Raven said:
It's pretty touching to read this. They are a pretty great company. If I were to offer one bit of constructive criticism, though, it's to have a playable female lead (at least as an option) that you can play as from start to finish in a world comparable to the male lead's. It wasn't the case with Witcher 3.
Well, the Witcher games are, pretty much, Geralt's story, so naturally he's the character you spend your time as. You don't get to make your own Geralt, male or female, as he is who he is. Their next game, Cyberpunk 2077, will on the other hand _not_ have a predefined protagonist like Geralt of Rivia. They've said from the start that your CP2077 character will be _your_ character, created the way _you_ want him or her to be. Male, female, black or white, cyberaugmented solo or a netrunner tweaking the corporations' noses and stealing their information from under noses with your decking skills? Your choice, chummer. At least that's what they've said about it so far.

And the CP2020 setting which that game will be based on is a pretty awesome setting too, so that's another thing to be excited about.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
SteinarB said:
Rebel_Raven said:
It's pretty touching to read this. They are a pretty great company. If I were to offer one bit of constructive criticism, though, it's to have a playable female lead (at least as an option) that you can play as from start to finish in a world comparable to the male lead's. It wasn't the case with Witcher 3.
Well, the Witcher games are, pretty much, Geralt's story, so naturally he's the character you spend your time as. You don't get to make your own Geralt, male or female, as he is who he is. Their next game, Cyberpunk 2077, will on the other hand _not_ have a predefined protagonist like Geralt of Rivia. They've said from the start that your CP2077 character will be _your_ character, created the way _you_ want him or her to be. Male, female, black or white, cyberaugmented solo or a netrunner tweaking the corporations' noses and stealing their information from under noses with your decking skills? Your choice, chummer. At least that's what they've said about it so far.

And the CP2020 setting which that game will be based on is a pretty awesome setting too, so that's another thing to be excited about.
I agree, it's Geralt's story for the most part, and I dont really have a problem with it, but Ciri could've had a more appealing section instead of being in linear missions outside of the open world. I think Catwoman had a better side story in Arkham City just because she can still screw around in the open world city even after her woefully short story mode.
Maybe if they released Ciri's stuff in a stand alone DLC like TLOU did with Ellie's side story?

The problem with talking about CP2077, which I am really hoping comes to consoles, is the wait, and the possibility we may never get it. It could go Last guardian on us, and be held up until 2020 or worse, get cancelled. Me hoping for a future release of something doesn't happen, really. I don't believe it until it's actually out. It doesn't really do me any good until it's being experienced, and I don't get my hopes up because anything can happen.

I've known about CP2077 for ages. issue is, when is it coming out?

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
Rebel_Raven said:
I agree, it's Geralt's story for the most part, and I dont really have a problem with it, but Ciri could've had a more appealing section instead of being in linear missions outside of the open world. I think Catwoman had a better side story in Arkham City just because she can still screw around in the open world city even after her woefully short story mode.
Maybe if they released Ciri's stuff in a stand alone DLC like TLOU did with Ellie's side story?

The problem with talking about CP2077, which I am really hoping comes to consoles, is the wait, and the possibility we may never get it. It could go Last guardian on us, and be held up until 2020 or worse, get cancelled. Me hoping for a future release of something doesn't happen, really. I don't believe it until it's actually out. It doesn't really do me any good until it's being experienced, and I don't get my hopes up because anything can happen.

Oh, I don't disagree with you about the Ciri section. Not at all. Never played TLOU as I don't really play on consoles. Nothing wrong with playing on consoles, but it's not for me. The controller just annoys me most of the time, so I prefer to stick to my PC and the mouse and keyboard for most kinds of games.

As for not getting your hopes up for CP2077, eh. I suppose I'm an easy mark in that regard seeing as not only do I generally have just positive opinions on CDPR, but I'm also a big fan of the pen and paper Cyberpunk game from way back when. The idea of the game just pushes all the right buttons in the "WANT NOW!" part of my brain. :D I'm fairly confident it won't get cancelled though, but I suppose that's just based on the fact that I really _want_ it to become reality and nothing more substantial than that.

As for when we'll see it? The original teaser trailer (which was more for building and gauging interest and to attract talent to the team which will make the game than anything else) did say it would be coming "When it's ready". Last thing CDPR said when they had released Witcher 3 was that they wouldn't say much, if anything, about CP2077 until 2017, and given the way advertising for a game usually works once we start hearing about a game and getting solid info on it it's usually almost done (see Fallout 4 for an example) I'd expect to see it released... oh say 6 months to a year later? Sounds about right to me.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
They definitely exude respect and care for the audience. Right down to the slips, free DLC and those patches.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
This is a modern marketing/public relations strategy in the hyper-connected age - taking a consumer-friendly approach in order to build brand loyalty - ala Valve in previous gaming circles or the original modern success story - Disney.

Half-Life came out at a time when dumb shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D received a lot of criticism, and not just from "murder simulator" critics like Jack Thompson. Within gaming culture itself there are several identities - while the stoners, deadheads, and metalheads loved Doom's "turn on, tune in, drop out" the more traditional brainiac type of gaming nerd wanted something thought-provoking. These gamers heaped praise on Half-Life, which married traditional "fast and frenetic" gameplay with a bespectacled scientific protagonist (just as they considered themselves to be, as opposed to a beefy marine) and some semblance of a narrative.

It's this cultural favoritism that led Half-Life to become a favorite of gamers (especially the subset mentioned), more so than the gameplay or narrative of the game. Some of these gamers consider Half-Life to have "saved" the genre.

This culture continued with Valve's subsequent games, with Left 4 Dead being the "smart gamers' survival run-and-gun" and Portal drenched in Something Awful-esque snark, aligning itself with the traditional nerd who believes himself to be the smartest person in whatever room he happens to inhabit.

Both Disney and Valve have benefited from a deep identity - they've achieved the best of both worlds. They have both wide appeal and are extremely appealing to a demographic niche (for Disney it's Western middle-class parents with young children).

Many RPGers are steeped in JRPGs and Western RPGs. The Gothic series introduced many Western gamers to a different kind of RPG, one influenced by Central and Eastern Europe. It was more than just a novelty - it was a completely different design aesthetic and was very exciting. While the Gothic series (becoming the Risen series) has creatively self-destructed, The Witcher series has taken the lead in continuing this type of RPG.

As the global leader in one of the three leading design aesthetics for RPGs, CD Projekt Red is in a very favorable position both financially and artistically. There's no need to take an aggressive price-gouging policy ala Ubisoft or Electronic Arts, companies which are not backed by any kind of brand identity or artistic focus. Companies with a strong identity and a secure market, like Disney, Valve, and CD Projekt Red, can become friends and allies to consumers, rather than Gordon Gekko-esque antagonists. It's far more favorable to their long-term financial well-being to do so.

On a side note, I'd like to see a new RPG design aesthetic emerge out of the growing economies of South America. This economic expansion is highly reliant on a volatile oil market, but if things go well game development studios in Brazil and Venezuela could produce for the global market and engage a Western audience with increasing interest in non-traditional games.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
SteinarB said:
Rebel_Raven said:

Oh, I don't disagree with you about the Ciri section. Not at all. Never played TLOU as I don't really play on consoles. Nothing wrong with playing on consoles, but it's not for me. The controller just annoys me most of the time, so I prefer to stick to my PC and the mouse and keyboard for most kinds of games.

As for not getting your hopes up for CP2077, eh. I suppose I'm an easy mark in that regard seeing as not only do I generally have just positive opinions on CDPR, but I'm also a big fan of the pen and paper Cyberpunk game from way back when. The idea of the game just pushes all the right buttons in the "WANT NOW!" part of my brain. :D I'm fairly confident it won't get cancelled though, but I suppose that's just based on the fact that I really _want_ it to become reality and nothing more substantial than that.

As for when we'll see it? The original teaser trailer (which was more for building and gauging interest and to attract talent to the team which will make the game than anything else) did say it would be coming "When it's ready". Last thing CDPR said when they had released Witcher 3 was that they wouldn't say much, if anything, about CP2077 until 2017, and given the way advertising for a game usually works once we start hearing about a game and getting solid info on it it's usually almost done (see Fallout 4 for an example) I'd expect to see it released... oh say 6 months to a year later? Sounds about right to me.
I don't blame you for getting your hopes up for CP2077. I did when I heard of it, but being a while ago, my hype is not infinite.
<youtube=P99qJGrPNLs>
It's just taking too long since I heard of it for it to stay on my radar.
It's gotten to the point that I gotta ask "what have you done for me lately" when a company wants to be in touch with me thanks to people wanting to bring up glories years ago every time I complain. :p
Right now, CDPR has points for giving Ciri some playability, but beyond that not much. We'll see what they do. I haven't written them off completely.
Honestly, if CP2077 doesn't even come to consoles, it won't do me much good unless something drastic comes along and I can afford a gaming rig worth my time. The bar's set pretty high there since it'll be a high powered, future proof, dedicated gaming computer. My laptop is not that right now as I use it for too much utility for it to have the resources to game worth a dang.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
Rebel_Raven said:
I don't blame you for getting your hopes up for CP2077. I did when I heard of it, but being a while ago, my hype is not infinite.
<youtube=P99qJGrPNLs>
It's just taking too long since I heard of it for it to stay on my radar.
It's gotten to the point that I gotta ask "what have you done for me lately" when a company wants to be in touch with me thanks to people wanting to bring up glories years ago every time I complain. :p
Right now, CDPR has points for giving Ciri some playability, but beyond that not much. We'll see what they do. I haven't written them off completely.

Honestly, if CP2077 doesn't even come to consoles, it won't do me much good unless something drastic comes along and I can afford a gaming rig worth my time. The bar's set pretty high there since it'll be a high powered, future proof, dedicated gaming computer. My laptop is not that right now as I use it for too much utility for it to have the resources to game worth a dang.
I get it, I honestly do. Starting the hype for the game so early, indeed long before they intended to start serious development on it given that they knew they were going to be primarily focused on Witcher 3 until that was done, might have been a bit of a double edged sword (whether it was a silver sword or a steel one is unknown). It did prove that the interest was there, and apparently did attract development talent as they had hoped, but you're absolutely right about hype-fatigue being a real thing, and intense hype started long before the game is delivered can turn those same excited fans impatient and angry. It's a difficult balancing act for any game publisher I suppose. You want people talking about your game and getting excited about it, but you don't want them to burn out on the hype either. That's probably part of the reason CDPR has said they won't be talking about CP2077 until 2017.

And I wouldn't be worried about it not coming to consoles. CDPR _are_ primarily a PC developer, but they did release their biggest, most ambitious game to date on consoles and the reason for that is of course the income console sales generate. They've gotten big enough their revenue needs to be higher than they could survive on when they made Witcher 1 and 2, and that means console money in addition to the PC money. As far as I can tell they're hoping for CP2077 to become their next big breadwinning franchise, so I'd say console ports are almost a given.

Still gonna get it on PC myself though. :)