CD Projekt Red Denies EA Buyout Rumors

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Charcharo said:
Goliath100 said:
No, EA can't by CD Projekt Red. That would ruin my cruel joke about a team up with 4A for a Stalker sequel.
You know... CD Projekt Red + 4A + GSC (is alive now) making a STALKER 2...

That is the most erotic thing I have imagined in months. Man... damn...
Would it be more cruel if I also said that they making it as a guerrilla warfare simulator? Like, full on Ranger of Arizona.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Strazdas said:
CD Project Red is a studio. It cannot be bought or sold without its owners permission, which is CDP.pl (yes the .pl is actually part of the name, silly companies). They are a local distributor of physical media as well as owners of GOG. CDProject Red owns 5% of CDP.pl stock, most likely as a capitalization stunt.
As a former employee of CDP.pl, let me step in and correct this:

CDP.pl is NOT the owner of CD Projekt Red. CD Projekt Red (as well as GOG.com and CD Projekt Red Finance) are part of CD Projekt S.A. company. CDP.pl used to be another branch of CD Projekt S.A. responsible for, as you said, distributing physical (and digital as of 2012) media in Poland. I said "used to" because in 2014, CDP.pl actually departed from the mother company and is now an entirely separate being.

OT: Never believed those rumors for a second. It just doesn't make sense as far as EA is concerned financially. There's nothing to gain from buying out NOW a studio that will release their next game in 2-4 years, and until that time it will generate more costs than revenue (after another probable sale spike of the last expansion pack). I would be more concerned if those rumors would appear in 2 years or so. Of course that could mean they could meddle in the dev process, but I think EA have enough bad publicity for a while, to make such a stunt right now.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Yossarian1507 said:
Strazdas said:
CD Project Red is a studio. It cannot be bought or sold without its owners permission, which is CDP.pl (yes the .pl is actually part of the name, silly companies). They are a local distributor of physical media as well as owners of GOG. CDProject Red owns 5% of CDP.pl stock, most likely as a capitalization stunt.
As a former employee of CDP.pl, let me step in and correct this:

CDP.pl is NOT the owner of CD Projekt Red. CD Projekt Red (as well as GOG.com and CD Projekt Red Finance) are part of CD Projekt S.A. company. CDP.pl used to be another branch of CD Projekt S.A. responsible for, as you said, distributing physical (and digital as of 2012) media in Poland. I said "used to" because in 2014, CDP.pl actually departed from the mother company and is now an entirely separate being.
Thank you for your correction. looks like googles and wikipedias info is quite wrong/outdated.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RJ 17 said:
llubtoille said:
EA's not really an 'evil' company,
I honestly hope this is sarcasm because...

they just have a bad habit of incorporating their policies into every studio they purchase, they're not 'hands-off' enough to let a successful franchise continue in its own natural direction.
Hence we get wonderful original franchises suddenly flip the table and do a total 180 in creative direction to the disgust of their old fan-base.
C&C and PvZ come to mind, but that's just the tip of a long list.
...pretty much that.
I think you mistake arrogance and bad corporate policy with "evil" as do a lot of people. Their policies have not been consumer friendly in recent years but I have noticed a trend, a very very slow trend mind you, towards being more accommodating to their customer's wishes and demands. EA 14 years ago was a wonderful company to work for and I dare say it could be again if the folks in charge commit fully to customer appreciation and keeping an ear to the ground (and for the love of Cthulhu value QA more than they do).

I don't agree with a lot of EA's recent history of heavy-handedness and such, but I'd hardly call them evil when compared to people who asset flip to make a quick buck. Thats much more selfish and greedy than anything EA has done, and those are mostly small indie companies.

Evil tends to be petty and ends up choking itself on its greed and selfishness.

OT: I'd lose a lot of respect for CD Projekt Red if they sold to a larger corporation, they're a model in the industry for how customers should be treated.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I think you mistake arrogance and bad corporate policy with "evil" as do a lot of people.
They've singlehandedly been responsible for the death of numerous franchises and studios that I - as well as a lot of people - genuinely enjoyed, which is something that I consider to be evil.

Evil tends to be petty and ends up choking itself on its greed and selfishness.
And this is the cause of death for said studios and franchises.