CD Projekt Red Given a Bunch of Money From Polish Government

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
This to me reads as a company wanting to hire better animators, to implement multiplayer in a core game and to render an open world city, two things they haven't done before.
If you're asking the government to back you, of course you're going to make it sound like you're doing something groundbreaking.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
"film quality RPG"

The death of CD Projekt begins...

Films suck, and games are higher quality than movies.

(Im exaggerating mostly...I hope, but still, that was a silly comment from them)

Anyways, they deserve it currently, so good for them.
Literature easily ROFLStomps both gaming and cinema.

With that being said, I do not think gaming has reached the levels of cinema's best yet. It will happen one day, but it is not close yet.
I will take gaming any day. Gaming does what movies and books do and more.
Egh.. I can assure you it does not do what they do, and where there are same/similarities, it loses VERY strongly to both other art forms.

Age of a medium matters. Gaming is NOT inherently inferior, it will one day be their equal in all (it already is as something worthy of respect and potential) but not yet. Perhaps 2-300 hundred years at this extremely fast rate it has been going.
And why then is literature so superior? As a medium that is. Both tell stories, but one is far more visceral and engaging. I much prefer to experience stories than merely observe.
Read my comment again. One has advanced far more, the other... has had 60 years. It is not that games are inherently inferior, they are equal. It is a current grading.

As for why... well I had hope lit classes at school would have been enough to answer that :p :p
Technology advances exponentially. That books are older is irrelevant.

How has literature advanced lately? I doubt they have improved as a medium much for centuries.
Last time I checked, it is not robots or AI that makes games but people. Humans. Artists, writers, designers. Humans. Also, last time I checked, newer games are NOT strictly better than old games either... so technology does not help them.

The age of a medium directly outlines how many languages, cultures, themes, ideas, time periods, genres, failures, classics, cult hits, criticism and input it will receive.

Literature has completely revamped its oldest genre in the past 200 years and gained science fiction as a distinct and advanced part of its offerings along with other genres. Post-modernist influence is yet unknown. What Murican "academia" calls literary fiction too has seen a relative broadening of topics and better structured (if more rigid) critical thought process.

Not as much as gaming, but again, gaming is advancing faster. Still, even it is going forward.
So, more genres that games can easily and have easily done?

I really do not see anything a book can do that a game cannot.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
"film quality RPG"

The death of CD Projekt begins...

Films suck, and games are higher quality than movies.

(Im exaggerating mostly...I hope, but still, that was a silly comment from them)

Anyways, they deserve it currently, so good for them.
Literature easily ROFLStomps both gaming and cinema.

With that being said, I do not think gaming has reached the levels of cinema's best yet. It will happen one day, but it is not close yet.
I will take gaming any day. Gaming does what movies and books do and more.
Egh.. I can assure you it does not do what they do, and where there are same/similarities, it loses VERY strongly to both other art forms.

Age of a medium matters. Gaming is NOT inherently inferior, it will one day be their equal in all (it already is as something worthy of respect and potential) but not yet. Perhaps 2-300 hundred years at this extremely fast rate it has been going.
And why then is literature so superior? As a medium that is. Both tell stories, but one is far more visceral and engaging. I much prefer to experience stories than merely observe.
Read my comment again. One has advanced far more, the other... has had 60 years. It is not that games are inherently inferior, they are equal. It is a current grading.

As for why... well I had hope lit classes at school would have been enough to answer that :p :p
Technology advances exponentially. That books are older is irrelevant.

How has literature advanced lately? I doubt they have improved as a medium much for centuries.
Last time I checked, it is not robots or AI that makes games but people. Humans. Artists, writers, designers. Humans. Also, last time I checked, newer games are NOT strictly better than old games either... so technology does not help them.

The age of a medium directly outlines how many languages, cultures, themes, ideas, time periods, genres, failures, classics, cult hits, criticism and input it will receive.

Literature has completely revamped its oldest genre in the past 200 years and gained science fiction as a distinct and advanced part of its offerings along with other genres. Post-modernist influence is yet unknown. What Murican "academia" calls literary fiction too has seen a relative broadening of topics and better structured (if more rigid) critical thought process.

Not as much as gaming, but again, gaming is advancing faster. Still, even it is going forward.
So, more genres that games can easily and have easily done?

I really do not see anything a book can do that a game cannot.
For a super easy comparison, read Witcher... then play the games.

Read Metro 2033, then play the games.

The difference in quality is staggering and it is NOT in gaming's favour. Also call me when gaming considers love stories and romantic stories central or can cover in a high level fashion ... real nationalistic feelings. Not the faux CoD type.

Also call me when gaming stops kicking its most unique genres that have no superior alternative in other mediums (RTS/RTT/Tycoons) to the ground for silly attempts at copying cinema or rehashing old formulas.

And before you go too passionate and gamey on me... remember, I am a gamer too... and have been my entire life. It is just what it is.
Just because games arent used to their full potential always, doesnt mean the medium is flawed. Reading a book is not objectively as engaging as gaming.

I just feel very confident that any story in a book could be better done in a game. Its just a matter of other variables outside the medium itself that tend to ruin things.

The reason I and many others hate when games try to be more "cinematic" it is because it seems like steps backwards than forward.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
pearcinator said:
Love how wishy-washy this all sounds. It's like they said in a few hundred words what could have been said in ten. I'll summarise what they wrote in ten words.

"We make games that push the boundaries of interactive entertainment."
Look. You don't get 30M zloty from govt officials without wagging your tongue. I mean, yeah, this would make for a disasterous Kickstarter pitch but bureaucrats love "pushing boundaries" and "taking things into account". Those are just clichees pencil pushers recongise and feel comfortable with. Besides, this was obviously translated from Polish and probably reads better in original.

No cause for alarm just yet.

Kiall

Jan 8, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, how am I the first person to bring up this view point?

CD Projekt Red are a HUGELY successful game publisher/developer. Even putting aside the rights and wrongs of giving seven figures of public money to a for-profit company shouldn't it maybe go to one that actually needs it? There's not even a good economical argument for this. While I accept the Polish government will look at this as a pair of safe hands that will at least guarantee some extra jobs and, very minor, growth in the industry CD Projekt Red are so big now the overall gain will be negligible. Instead if the money had been split between seven start-ups while some would have probably gone under with nothing to show for it the rest would likley have more than enough growth/job hiring to make them the better bet.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Eclipse Dragon said:
I can totally get on board with the idea that CD Projekt just convinced the Polish government to give them $7 million using big sounding words and phrases.

I don't really hold it against the government though. Kudos for funding a good thing. A developer could probably do the same with my government as long as the premise also includes "Art" "Guns" and "Christian Values", art being the least important in that hierarchy but can't hurt being in there.
38 Studios got money from our government even without "guns" or "Christian values" when they made Kingdoms of Amalur. xD

Sadly, they got the government money BEFORE they made an AWESOME game. Amalur had potential, but it was sadly not to be. <.<

Best of luck to CD Project Red to avoid that fate with Cyberpunk 2077.
Hopefully The Witcher's success hasn't made them too cocky. ;D