CD Projekt Red Reveals Cyberpunk

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CD Projekt Red Reveals Cyberpunk

The studio behind The Witcher is working on a futuristic RPG called Cyberpunk.

The new game from Witcher studio CD Projekt Red isn't just cyberpunk, it's Cyberpunk, an RPG based on the Cyberpunk pen-and-paper system designed by Mike Pondsmith. Pondsmith actually introduced the game at CD Projekt Red's summer conference [http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/247], where he said that the studio's work on The Witcher games convinced him it was the best choice to bring his future-fantasy world to life.

The new game is being developed by a second CD Projekt Red team composed of veterans of the first two Witcher releases, and like those games, Cyberpunk will be "richly detailed, non-linear" and aimed at "mature and demanding players" who will shape the game world with the choices they make. Cyberpunks will make their way through the world as one of a wide range of different classes, armed with a variety of cybernetic implants, high-tech weaponry and more. The game will be "brutal where it needs to be," and because the Cyberpunk ruleset is already established and well-tested, the developers will be able to avoid some of the drawbacks that plagued The Witcher, which was built from the ground-up.

The Cyberpunk setting, according to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020], was first published in 1988 and most recently updated in 2005 with Cyberpunk V3. It's kind of an odd name, given that the title is also the genre, but if CD Projekt Red can do for the dystopian future what it did for gritty high fantasy, I'll be more than happy to let it slide. No word on when this bad boy might be ready for the limelight, but we'll keep you posted.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
The Witcher + Cyberpunk = ?

I need to know more about this, the witcher is an amazing game and I can't imagine what kind of game they will turn this project into. But one thing is certain... I'm intrigued.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
what happened to the one with the giant dead god mountain? That one sounded interesting.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I like The Witcher, but I'm currently sick of fantasy settings all around, so this is very good news.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Damn. Another instabuy from the Polish maestros of grownup fantasy wish-fulfillment.

I loved this game back in the 90's. It was hands down the best interactive interpretation of William Gibson's Neuromancer ever made.

The location-based damage combat was pretty unique and brutal too, although bits of it had issues.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Very interesting turn of events. I didn't expect them to do a futuristic game. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
This is a perfect match. I literally can't think of a better fit for the Cyberpunk IP than CD Projekt Red. I do wonder how they'll implement botches though, since they are such a intrinsic part of Cyberpunk.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
For someone who barely cares about games at all anymore, and then only for smartphone-based gaming (ok, with the exception of Guns of Icarus Online, Wastelands 2, The Banner Saga and Elder Scrolls Online :) ), I just got unduly excited.

The CD Project take, not only on the cyberpunk genre, but on one of the favourite RPGs of my youth (which, incidentally, might just be the best generic cyberpunk setting ever realized)? Possibly with the addition of naked, dioded, cybernetically coloured and enhanced and implant-laden cybergirls?

I'm going to need one of the old-fashioned, clunky computer thingies again. Just when I thought I had finally rid myself of their desperate, dying grip.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Burst6 said:
what happened to the one with the giant dead god mountain? That one sounded interesting.
I's never was supposed to be done by CDP. It's by City Interactive, the only links to CDP is that they also are Polish company and Tom Gop, who was working in Witcher, is working in City Interactive now and on that project.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Well that's good. I tried the Witcher but absoutely hated the setting. I might be interested in this.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Dear CDPROJEKT...

I respectfully ask where exactly would you prefer to have my IV of money located so that I may begin streaming it to you now.