CD Projekt Unveils The Witcher 2

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
The first one was horridly boring. Took me 20 hours just to get passed the village outside the castle and all those whining villagers who wanted to blame all their problems on some creepy girl.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Tried the first one and really wanted to like it, but I gave up halfway through Chapter 2 because I had no idea what my goal was anymore and I was bored. Still mean to give it another try.

dead_rebel

Jan 13, 2010
Although I didn't enjoy the first Witcher (probably cause it just barely worked on my PC and I also didn't GET the subtle differences my choices made on the game) this concept about an assassin killing Kings makes me sit up straight and listen.

I think I'll give Witcher2 a play since it can't be HORRIBLE and I sat through the first one anyway.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Sweet raptor riding Christ i want this. I'm eager to get my mitts on Rise of the White Wolf if it does eventually come out on PS3, otherwise i may have to wait until i can get a high spec PC before getting my witcher fill

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Well, I liked the Witcher, but it had plenty of flaws. I hope CDProjekt addresses them. . . no need to list them there, Yahtzee's review pretty much summed them up. Along with improved graphics, I hope they expand the skill tree and add more combat moves.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
dead_rebel said:
Although I didn't enjoy the first Witcher (probably cause it just barely worked on my PC and I also didn't GET the subtle differences my choices made on the game)
The problem is that they were time-delayed and highly arbitrary.

My problem with the Witcher was mostly that the whole thing was just sloppy.

The story had some really good ideas, but it needed a complete rewrite or two to make them click. Themes that could have made for a good backbone for the story popped up in random places then disappeared. The main villain appeared out of nowhere too late in the game.

Other than that, the dialog trees were buggy and disjointed. The quest scripting tended to break. The alchemy system was very strong in concept, but came with a horrible UI.

If the Witcher 2 has a bit more polish on it, it could turn out to be something really special.

Mar 24, 2010
Partial transcript of the hidden message at the end of the video:

"This message is for our biggest fans. Analyzing our stuff pixel by pixel, bit by bit. It's good to see you again**! :) BTW: Simple minded people think (...) that single player RPGs are dead, or PCs? We sold 1.5 mln units game from dying genre on dying platform - so we somehow cannot agree ;-)

(...) We are very proud of TW but let be honest, it was our debut. We never made any game before, and we practically learnt as we worked. So there were many things which could be done better, you know it as good as we :) But the vision, the main concept remain the same: game with mature, captivating and unlinear story, and full of spectacular combat.

A game created by a team of independent thinkers immune to corporate priorities, who don't care what's trendy at a given moment.

Do you remember how we made significant improvements with the Aurora Engine in the original game but it still had its limitations? Now we've created technology designed specifically to create non-linear games with extensive plotlines and a living world (...)"

THIS. THIS IS HOW THINGS SHOULD BE.

**Disclaimer: I am not a 'fan' of CD Projekt as such. I AM however, a huge fan of this style of thinking and I will be there with my money to support them come release day. By the by: I bought two copies of TW. Why? Because I'll be damned if they didn't deserve every single cent. If I'd been better off I would've bought more copies. The only thing that could've made it any sweeter would've been for them to publish on their own but I know that is quite a tall order, esp. for a new studio.

Go, go wonderful, talented people, Go!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I hope they improved the fighting mechanics for The Witcher 2, because I couldn't stand how dreadful they were in the first. Don't get me wrong, The Witcher was a great game in many ways. It's just that the combat was most certainly not one of those ways.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
If they've changed the bit where everything with a vagina wants to fuck Geralt, I'm all in. Otherwise, meh.

Dodgy

Mar 23, 2010
Abedeus said:
Awesome.

...Now, to finish the first game I got for Christmas two years ago... I was put off by the loaaading screeeen tiiiimes. And my crappy PC.
Did you get the full upgrade? The loading times improved a lot after that huge patch. A testament to their commitment to give you a good gaming experience. The reworked the whole game I think.

It's cheap now anyway, so get it if you haven't played it already. Oh, and don't stick to Vizima too long, it picks up a lot afterwards.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Ah, The Witcher. Glad to know there are at least a few people here who have enjoyed this wonderful game. I'm definately looking forward to this new installment. As has already been said though, I do hope they overhaul the combat.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Echo136 said:
The first one was horridly boring. Took me 20 hours just to get passed the village outside the castle and all those whining villagers who wanted to blame all their problems on some creepy girl.

Who you get to bone if I remember correctly. It's more of a Mack Daddy simulator than Mass Effect 2

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
I tried to like The Witcher, I really did, but it was so mind-bogglingly slow that I got frustrated and stopped. Although I was playing the "original" un-enhanced edition, so perhaps the fault is not entirely within the game.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I bought the first one for like 13 bucks on steam. I I tried desperately to like it..but the controls and UI..oh man..

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
in a bit of a pickle said:
Partial transcript of the hidden message at the end of the video:

"This message is for our biggest fans. Analyzing our stuff pixel by pixel, bit by bit. It's good to see you again**! :) BTW: Simple minded people think (...) that single player RPGs are dead, or PCs? We sold 1.5 mln units game from dying genre on dying platform - so we somehow cannot agree ;-)

(...) We are very proud of TW but let be honest, it was our debut. We never made any game before, and we practically learnt as we worked. So there were many things which could be done better, you know it as good as we :) But the vision, the main concept remain the same: game with mature, captivating and unlinear story, and full of spectacular combat.

A game created by a team of independent thinkers immune to corporate priorities, who don't care what's trendy at a given moment.

Do you remember how we made significant improvements with the Aurora Engine in the original game but it still had its limitations? Now we've created technology designed specifically to create non-linear games with extensive plotlines and a living world (...)"

THIS. THIS IS HOW THINGS SHOULD BE.

**Disclaimer: I am not a 'fan' of CD Projekt as such. I AM however, a huge fan of this style of thinking and I will be there with my money to support them come release day. By the by: I bought two copies of TW. Why? Because I'll be damned if they didn't deserve every single cent. If I'd been better off I would've bought more copies. The only thing that could've made it any sweeter would've been for them to publish on their own but I know that is quite a tall order, esp. for a new studio.

Go, go wonderful, talented people, Go!
Got a screenshot for it? I noticed it too but can't get it to pause at the right moment.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Dodgy said:
Abedeus said:
Awesome.

...Now, to finish the first game I got for Christmas two years ago... I was put off by the loaaading screeeen tiiiimes. And my crappy PC.
Did you get the full upgrade? The loading times improved a lot after that huge patch. A testament to their commitment to give you a good gaming experience. The reworked the whole game I think.

It's cheap now anyway, so get it if you haven't played it already. Oh, and don't stick to Vizima too long, it picks up a lot afterwards.
I know there was the 2,5GB update that improved the game a lot. Hell, the second patch improved loading times... I just didn't want to play the game I got for Christmas ;p

Also, it's true - Wyzima/Vizima (God I love having the original POLISH version), is pretty meh, but it's a lot better later.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
I really enjoyed the first game, even when the fire on it caused an appauling frame rate drop on my comp (for some unknown reason...?) it barely took any impact away from how epic it was. I loved the way you make potions and how they work ater you start quaffing them, it was all very well put together. Combat was a bit different, needed sharpening up a little but it was a fantastic experience althogether.

The storyline was very well thought out with a nice twist at the end and it came together nicely, with the final cutscene showing that a) geralt may be kick arse but he's not perfect and b) there are obviously still far more dangerous enemies out there for them to contend with.

I'm hoping the sequel will be just as good. Not sure If I can wait a year though! :)