CD Projekt Unveils The Witcher 2

czarevilsam

Mar 20, 2009
I absolutely adored The Witcher. While it had it flaws (most of which were fixed in later patches), I fell in love with the storyline, the morally grey and nuanced decisions to be made (as opposed to the "Angel", "Doesn't care", "Devil" options from most RPGs), and the world.

I have high hopes for the sequel, and will be buying it the day that it is released.

Thank God for CD Projekt.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I HATED The Witcher. I ran around town for a half hour once completely lost. I was also dead tired of of that stinking rural area and running a good mile before I got somewhere only to be told to go back where I had came from.

It had promise and I liked how deep some of the things were especially the alchemy and whatnot. It annoyed the living hell out of me and at the same time bored me to tears. I had gotten quite a bit in when the mystery was starting to unfold and I just didnt care anymore. I was tired of running around the dingy streets and the dingy swamps trying to find an unmarked door in streets filled with unmarked doors to talk to a random face in streets filled with random faces. I was just hopelessly lost. Perhaps another run through is in order but not anytime soon.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I picked up the Witcher Director Cut on one of my Random Game Buy days and enjoyed it every step of the way though it absolutely tortured my laptop to no end. Its good to see a sequel as I really enjoyed the game alot.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Keava said:
And there is nay because i know the novels that the whole concept is based upon, they were nice meaty fantasy books, but somehow any attempt at transfering it to other medias just doesnt work well (we had a movie/tv series based on it, it was like utter crap) ;/
Relax... As long as Michal Zebrowski (ho hum... Looks like Escapist doesn't have Polish letters in their scripts) stays away from this, it cannot be even similarly bad as movie and tv series. ;] [/reference no one gets except from Poles]

First Witcher game was awesome, so I have no doubt the second will be as well. Good thing I have pretty powerful comp, so W2 should run just fine on it.

Also, I don't get all that hate on the combat system. I liked it much more than standard 'click your enemy to death' combat. Different styles/types of swords for different enemies and precision instead of brutal power - That's the Witcher way, and I don't want it any other way.

Mar 24, 2010
Asehujiko said:
in a bit of a pickle said:
Partial transcript of the hidden message at the end of the video:

"This message is for our biggest fans. Analyzing our stuff pixel by pixel, bit by bit. It's good to see you again**! :) BTW: Simple minded people think (...) that single player RPGs are dead, or PCs? We sold 1.5 mln units game from dying genre on dying platform - so we somehow cannot agree ;-)

(...) We are very proud of TW but let be honest, it was our debut. We never made any game before, and we practically learnt as we worked. So there were many things which could be done better, you know it as good as we :) But the vision, the main concept remain the same: game with mature, captivating and unlinear story, and full of spectacular combat.

A game created by a team of independent thinkers immune to corporate priorities, who don't care what's trendy at a given moment.

Do you remember how we made significant improvements with the Aurora Engine in the original game but it still had its limitations? Now we've created technology designed specifically to create non-linear games with extensive plotlines and a living world (...)"

THIS. THIS IS HOW THINGS SHOULD BE.

**Disclaimer: I am not a 'fan' of CD Projekt as such. I AM however, a huge fan of this style of thinking and I will be there with my money to support them come release day. By the by: I bought two copies of TW. Why? Because I'll be damned if they didn't deserve every single cent. If I'd been better off I would've bought more copies. The only thing that could've made it any sweeter would've been for them to publish on their own but I know that is quite a tall order, esp. for a new studio.

Go, go wonderful, talented people, Go!
Got a screenshot for it? I noticed it too but can't get it to pause at the right moment.
No, sorry. But if you listen closely you'll notice you can pause it as the last bit of sound stops. That's how I timed it.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I never made it past Chapter 2 of the first one - the writing seemed to fall flat and I felt like I never really knew what it is I was supposed to do. I'll give it another shot, as I like CDProjekt and do want to finish it in preparation for the second. Even if I don't I'll still be buying the second and giving it a go, if for nothing else than to support the company.