Cel-Shading is it good or bad?

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
It looks good when its not done as a cost cutting measure or done to help the console compensate for lack of hardware

however i prefer full rendered graphics because there only so many games that can cel shaded before it starts to look old

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Cell Shading is just an art style as far as I'm concerned, it all depends on the artist.

It's sort of like comparing Eastern "Anime/Manga" type artwork to western "Cartoon/Comic" type artwork. It can vary greatly in quality, neither way of stylizing things is inherantly superior or inferior to another.

In many cases when a game has bad graphics, I don't always think it's the style, but the art direction, and the specific creators they brought on staff.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
RhomCo said:
TheRocketeer said:
This won't necessarily mean cel-sahding, specifically, will be the go-to technique, but it certainly is a familiar and fairly proven option for giving a world a totally different, unique style without fruitlessly chasing the will-o-wisp of graphical photorealism.
I would totally play a game done in halftone or, even freakier, pointilist style.
Halftone, there's an idea, but... a game conveyed with pointillism? I can't even speculate on if that's even possible, much less feasible. I'd love to be proven wrong, though; there's no greater joy in an endlessly reiterative, overcautious and frankly unoriginal industry than to see the impossible brought to life.

I'd suggest an Impressionist-styled game, myself, but one of the qualities of that style is that it looks like ass close-up, so the style itself might be it's own biggest problem if the developer isn't able to find some sort of workaround.

Thegoodfriar

Apr 15, 2009
Meh, Cel-Shading is just a production choice.

It isn't good or bad, just like any form of art direction certain techniques can be more beneficial to certain games more than others... But it is perfectly neutral in my opinion.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Its all a matter of taste. I dont particularly like it but its different than the norm.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
TheRocketeer said:
Halftone, there's an idea, but... a game conveyed with pointillism? I can't even speculate on if that's even possible, much less feasible.
Quite possible. Feasible? Dunno. Most people would just ***** about having to stand 10 feet away to get an idea of what's going on.

I'd suggest an Impressionist-styled game, myself, but one of the qualities of that style is that it looks like ass close-up, so the style itself might be it's own biggest problem if the developer isn't able to find some sort of workaround.
Well they'd have to get a really good grip on the fundamentals of Impressionism and what it was trying to achieve. I'd love to see a game use a visual style similar to Franz Marc... but I think his bold use of colour and line might be a bit much for most people.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Thegoodfriar said:

It isn't good or bad, just like any form of art direction certain techniques can be more beneficial to certain games more than others... But it is perfectly neutral in my opinion.
No, you must assign it a moral value and defend that assignation with vitriol!

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
RhomCo said:
Quite possible. Feasible? Dunno. Most people would just ***** about having to stand 10 feet away to get an idea of what's going on.
I was kind of thinking that, too. Understanding the world in front of you is kind of a big deal when ant men are shooting rockets at you. I think any experimental art style has a better chance (and a better testing area) in a slower-paced genre first, like the puzzle genre, or maybe an easier platformer like the newest Prince of Persia

RhomCo said:
TheRocketeer said:
Well they'd have to get a really good grip on the fundamentals of Impressionism and what it was trying to achieve. I'd love to see a game use a visual style similar to Franz Marc... but I think his bold use of colour and line might be a bit much for most people.
I can't really claim to know enough about art OR programming to speculate, aside from enjoying their products. Again, most of these experimental or highly-stylized art choices would fit best in slower-paced, more cerebral types of games first, which is fortunate, because these games' audiences are most likely to enjoy visual homages to centuries-old painters- or, failing that, just enjoying something they haven't seen before in a game.

RhomCo said:
Thegoodfriar said:

No, you must assign it a moral value and defend that assignation with vitriol!
What's he doing here, with his preachy 'logic' and his hoity-toity 'medial attitude?'

Let's bring him down to our level so we can feel good about ourselves again!

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
It depends on how it looks. It can be done well, or very bad. If anyone remembers Steambot Chronicles, I think it was an excellent use of cel shading.

captainaweshum

May 1, 2010
Jennacide said:
Borderlands is a breed of it's own, which is why they classified it as graphic novel shading, being more accurate. Cel Shading was a big deal years ago, with games like Jet Set Radio and Fear Effect. It all depends on the game really, as both examples worked really well with the style, but plenty of games make it look awful.

Also, Borderlands deserves a goddam medal for it's graphical style, if for one major reason alone. It runs on the Unreal Engine. Bet you never realized that, because nearly every Unreal Engine game you can tell in seconds flat, but not with Borderlands. For that alone they deserve a prize. Oh, and the game DOES look that good /on the PC./ The 360 version of course doesn't, but when I play that's exactly how it looks.
I actually own Borderlands on the 360 and adored the graphic design, although the moon looked like it was melting (which my fiance pointed out) but I loved it, thought that it fit the game perfectly. I also really loved that game, despite it being really easy.

I've heard that the second playthrough is much harder and possibly what the designers meant as the "meat and potatoes" of the game. But come-on, I barely play a game twice...unless it's near perfect.

As for Cel-Shading...I HATED it with WindWaker (but my dislike of that game is well-known, and it's not just for the graphic design) and I did grow very tired of it when it was really big.

But there are games that call for it, Borderlands being one of them, it helps it stand out from the crowd.

Zildjin81

Feb 7, 2009
Cel-shading annoys the hell out of me. I'm not sure what it is about it but I just don't like it!

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Well, XIII actually pulled off cel-shading really well back then, considering it's about 6-7 years old, but it waws actually kinda necessary as it's based of a cel-shaded comic, and the developers (Ubisoft) wanted to stick to the comic.

Yeah, crack a joke about Ubisoft now that you know they made a GOOD game.
(Insert DRM joke here)

TheodoreLuke

Nov 30, 2009
Rauten said:
You want cel shading done right, you have to play JSR and JSRF. Hell, I think JSR may have been the first game to use it? And it looked AMAZING. Simply gorgeous.
Not the first, but definitely one of the best.
Also Crackdown.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Thaius said:
Cel shading is just another visual style. There is nothing wrong with it (anyone who hated Wind Waker just because of the visual style is near the top of my moron list), and it is not inherently good either. It's a matter of using it for the right purposes.
Agreed. Apparently, some magazine or another, a full year before Wind Waker came out, said it was awful and "a boring easy kiddy game." Based solely on the art style. People are actually that stupid.

Side note, I love your avatar. Mushy wushy friend!
Yeah, to say something is a kiddy game just because of the art style is stupid. Heck, even if it was "kiddy," who's to say it can't still be awesome? Like Avatar: The Last Airbender!

And in response, I love your avatar and username both! Best show ever! :D

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
That last game, Evil Genius, looks like something from 10 years ago... If it's seriously from 2004 it hasn't aged well.

As for the title, it depends. I always thought XIII looked cool but I never got around to playing it. Wind Waker was alright. I don't really see it on the Borderlands screenshot, but Crackdown had it I think. I believe it works for comic-style games. And I prefer games go full cell-shaded instead of halfing it.