Cel-Shading is it good or bad?

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
I didn't like any of the games you people have used as examples so far... Although I think it's more because of the actual gameplay than graphics... The best game out of the ones mentioned here was TF2 and that was a big fat 'meh' in my eyes because of it's narrow scope.

Then again I did like COD4 so it might be the cell shading... hmm...

Shooters need to be realistic to me I guess. I'm not a big fan of casual games.
I would never in my life call TF2 casual... In fact not many cel-shaded games can be called casual, I don't know why since their bright colour pallet usually makes you think "oh this will be easy".

PS. And yes I know TF2 is not cel-shaded.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
I think its good for visualistically oriented games like Borderlands and such, but i dont prefer it. I like it, just not as much as believable graphics.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Cel Shading=good
15 pixel wide outline around everything=bad
In the first category, we have tf2
In the second category, ever single console game where the developers thought that it's an excuse to not bother with AA.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Zeeky_Santos said:
it's not a graphics rendering method as much as it is an art direction, which is extremely important in setting a theme.
Actually, it is a graphics rendering method... although if you want to get technical it's a traditional animation technique and there are several graphics rendering methods that simulate it.

However, yeah, you're right. It's the Art Direction and the choices therein which make it even a topic worth thinking over (unless you're a 3D and/or Animation geek) when it comes to games. You can drop cel-shading onto anything but you have to know your stuff to make things that actually look GOOD when cel-shaded.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Go play Sly Raccon 1 and 2. Best looking cell shaded games IMO.
I'll probably die for this but although LoZ:WW was pretty, it was far too cartoony to be bearable.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I dunno man, I loved the look of Prince of Persia (2008), and I had a lotta fun with LoZ Wind Waker :D