Celebrate 10th Anniversary of San Andreas in GTA Online

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Celebrate 10th Anniversary of San Andreas in GTA Online

Celebrate San Andreas' anniversary with throwback missions in GTA Online, discounted mobile versions of the GTA III trilogy, and a high-def Xbox 360 port.

Where were you on this day in 2004? Since you're reading a gaming site, there's a good chance you were playing the long-awaited Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which launched on the PS2 exactly one decade ago. To celebrate the landmark game's 10th anniversary, Rockstar Games has highlighted user-created "throwback jobs" inspired by the last-last-gen classic. From BMX racing to reliving Grove Street's glory days, the Rockstar Newswire [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52332/gta-online-creator-throwback-jobs-san-andreas-anniversary] has 10 ways to do the time warp in Grand Theft Auto Online today.

If you'd prefer to forgo the online experience for a single-player adventure, you can really throw it back with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in HD on the Xbox 360, which is available for download today. Replacing the Xbox Originals version, the mobile versions [https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/204078933] of the Grand Theft Auto III trilogy at a discount on iOS, Android, and Amazon.

San Andreas originally launched on the PS2, but eventually made its way to the Xbox, PC, and Mac before going mobile. It wrapped up that generation's trilogy of Grand Theft Auto titles after being preceded by GTA III and Vice City. It was hot coffee [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas] while you're playing.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire]

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
If you'd prefer to forgo the online experience for a single-player adventure, you can really throw it back with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in HD on the Xbox 360, which is available for download today. Replacing the Xbox Originals version, the updated San Andreas [https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/204078933] features 720p resolution and a slew of achievements.
Not that graphics are the most important thing in the world or that PS2 games would benefit that much from going to 1080p instead of 720p, but why is a PS2 game being re-released on a last gen system in only 720p?

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
San Andreas on my mobile with a PS3 controller is amazing. I have spent many hours on the train playing it!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, another event weekend where the playlist is broken, cheaters are abound, and people aren't getting their rewards.

If Rockstar ever manages to not fuck one of these up, the surprise might kill me.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying NOBODY is getting this stuff to work. Just that they've had playlist issues since yesterday, some (possibly a lot of) people can't get on, and some (possibly a lot of) people aren't getting their rewards.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ah ten years ago, I was blagging my under age way into buying San Andreas from my local Woolworths.

Now it's a decade later, I'm eight years past eighteen and Woolworths doesn't exist anymore, time flies, still got the San Andreas discs somewhere too.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Ah ten years ago, I was blagging my under age way into buying San Andreas from my local Woolworths.

Now it's a decade later, I'm eight years past eighteen and Woolworths doesn't exist anymore, time flies, still got the Sand Andreas discs somewhere too.
Woolworths, that takes me back. Not as much as when someone on YouTube recently mentioned Caldor, but still.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I bought the HD release when I saw it was priced 3.70?, I thought they would sell it at 15 or maybe even 20 like Resident Evil 4.

Just one thing though, why is the right trigger used for aiming and the left to shoot?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah, another event weekend where the playlist is broken, cheaters are abound, and people aren't getting their rewards.

If Rockstar ever manages to not fuck one of these up, the surprise might kill me.
Yup the number of issues affecting GTA Online combined with the end of the gaming dry spell and the fact that the long awaited heists are going to be long awaited FOREVER has meant I've finally hung up my level 254 character. The event weekends had something going for them but since not a single one of them has worked to date for me I just can't be bothered even trying any more.

Sit in lobby for ten minutes waiting for event to fill, wait ten minutes once event has been started, watch as players get fed up of waiting and drop out, start event with half the number that were in the lobby and then watch as most of which ever team looses the first round of the event then decides to rage quit mid way through the second round loading.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
For any interested parties, it may be a pricing error, but I paid $3.74 when the game was available this morning. I had heard it was going to be $15. So, if it is an error, pick it up before they fix it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Laughing Man said:
Yup the number of issues affecting GTA Online combined with the end of the gaming dry spell and the fact that the long awaited heists are going to be long awaited FOREVER has meant I've finally hung up my level 254 character. The event weekends had something going for them but since not a single one of them has worked to date for me I just can't be bothered even trying any more.

Sit in lobby for ten minutes waiting for event to fill, wait ten minutes once event has been started, watch as players get fed up of waiting and drop out, start event with half the number that were in the lobby and then watch as most of which ever team looses the first round of the event then decides to rage quit mid way through the second round loading.
Oh, I'm sure we'll see heists about the launch of GTA V for the current gen consoles.

But you're dead on on the rest. It was a miracle my friends and I completed the last one, and several of us didn't get the reward.

martyrdrebel27 said:
For any interested parties, it may be a pricing error, but I paid $3.74 when the game was available this morning. I had heard it was going to be $15. So, if it is an error, pick it up before they fix it.
Pricing mistake or not, four bucks is totally worth it.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Oh, I'm sure we'll see heists about the launch of GTA V for the current gen consoles.
Hmmm, I dunno. Assuming the Heists are going to work like they did in the single player, i.e several connected setup missions followed by a final large mission. The only way they could do this would be via the Playlist system that they are using for their events and as we both know that system just DOES NOT work. It's passable when it's some little importance event playlist but not being able to play the Heists through because of the random connection issues, lobbies that can't transfer players from one mission to another together, games that take for ever to load because one player quit or had connection issues and players just randomly rage quitting at any time without issue.

I notice that Rockstar after month and months of telling us that heists will be here, next year, then next spring, then in early summer and then that they are still working on them, well they seem to have gone very quiet on the whole heists thing.

Hap2

May 26, 2010
Aside from making the left trigger shoot and the right trigger to aim (bizarre), San Andreas HD is a great improvement over the PS2/Xbox version. It's as clear and smooth running as the PC version. They added in checkpoints in missions (one of the biggest complaints), tuned up some of the physics and made it easier to run and bicycle (no more tapping the buttons endlessly).

All in all, it's a good upgrade for a good game at a good price.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
For any interested parties, it may be a pricing error, but I paid $3.74 when the game was available this morning.
It's actually a reference to the lawsuit they were hit with because of the Hot Coffee mod. Rockstar had to pay $3.74 USD to everyone that was a part of the lawsuit.

FenchurchSt

Oct 14, 2014
Oh my gosh... has it really been 10 years since this came out?

Still one of my favorite games of all time. I revisit it often enough and wonder to myself "when and why did we move so far away from such well-crafted giddy fun?" I mean, the experiences still exist in games such as Goat Simulator and Saint's Row and nobody is taking San Andreas away from me but...

Well, what I'm basically saying is that we need more games in which Wil Wheaton makes guest voice contributions. I'm just saying.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
I just assumed it was that price because I'd bought the original San Andreas GoD.

Achievement support should be a good way for me to get involved, and checkpoints as well should stop me from having "God damnit I have to drive HOW FAR to redo this mission?!"

As for Online? Tried the playlist about a dozen times and it didn't work once for me. Yaaaaay.