Celebrate World of Warcraft's 10th Anniversary With a Return to Molten Core

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Celebrate World of Warcraft's 10th Anniversary With a Return to Molten Core

World of Warcraft is ten years old, and to celebrate is taking us back to the days of Molten Core and Tarren Mill vs. Southshore.

World of Warcraft is now 10-years old, and certainly shows no signs of slowing down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138695-World-of-Warcraft-Subscriber-Base-Over-10-Million-Following-WoD]. It's not unusual for Blizzard to have some kind of anniversary event around the MMO's birthday, but this time, it is pulling out all the stops by giving us a return to the game's original raid and PVP scenarios: Molten Core and Tarren Mill vs. Southshore.

First up, Molten Core provided many WoW players with their first taste of WoW raiding. For the anniversary celebration, max-level players can participate in a special 40-player Raid Finder version to relive the experience of hunting down Ragnaros and his minions within his fiery lair. Downing the Firelord will earn you an Achievement and a special Core Hound mount reward.

Next, If you engaged in PvP early on in WoW, you might have fond memories of-and perhaps a few scars from-the endless tug-of-war between Horde and Alliance players at Tarren Mill and Southshore. To recapture that feeling, Blizzard has opened a Team Deathmatch-style Battleground based on that timeless struggle. However, unlike the old days of Tarren Mill vs. Southshore, there will be a clearly defined victor, so you'll need to work as a team or face crushing defeat.

Blizzard said via Twitter [https://twitter.com/holinka/status/497073084843585536] that depending on the battleground's popularity, it may be re-enabled for future anniversaries.

Furthermore, anyone who simply logs on during the anniversary event will receive the adorable Molten Corgi [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/852/852599.jpg] non-combat pet.

The event runs from November 21 to January 6, so you've got plenty of time to reach max level and get your Core Hound mount. The folks over at Wowhead [http://www.wowhead.com/guide=2750] have thrown together a pretty comprehensive guide on all of the goodies in the event, and how to get them.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/16889478/world-of-warcraft-10-year-anniversary-celebration-begins-11-20-2014]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Core hound mount is awesome, but getting it is dreadful. Upscaled Molten core is filled with terrible players[footnote]The kind of people who think that trying to run out of the instance when the group wipes is a good idea and definitely not a waste of all our time kind of bad players[/footnote] and trolls. Makes it significantly more time consuming than it should be to complete.

But look at the Corgi....LOOK AT IT!

Worth mentioning that a scaled up Molten Core made me and several people in my guild realize just how awful some of the old mechanics were. 20 second silences and stuns on trash, forcing healers and mages to basically do nothing but clear magic debuffs and curses. It's really ridiculous. This is coming from someone who has been playing since late beta 10 years ago.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Core hound mount is awesome, but getting it is dreadful. Upscaled Molten core is filled with terrible players[footnote]The kind of people who think that trying to run out of the instance when the group wipes is a good idea and definitely not a waste of all our time kind of bad players[/footnote] and trolls. Makes it significantly more time consuming than it should be to complete.

But look at the Corgi....LOOK AT IT!

Worth mentioning that a scaled up Molten Core made me and several people in my guild realize just how awful some of the old mechanics were. 20 second silences and stuns on trash, forcing healers and mages to basically do nothing but clear magic debuffs and curses. It's really ridiculous. This is coming from someone who has been playing since late beta 10 years ago.
And there will still be people who believe that Vanilla was the best thing ever, forgetting that 40 man raids were damn near impossible to coordinate properly and endgame content was basically locked to all but the top tier 8-10% or so. And lord those mechanics, so bullshit...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
And there will still be people who believe that Vanilla was the best thing ever
I believe that Vanilla was a unique experience that we'll never experience again, despite how poor a lot of the mechanics were back then. The benefit of Vanilla was the relationships I made through it and the memories of doing some really epic stuff that I have yet to experience in the new expansion to the same extent. I've literally been in the same guild, same server for almost 10 years now.

That being said, their raid format back then was horrendous. There's a reason why they changed it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Did this yesterday, got my mount!

Pretty intensive on the healers, spent most of the time frantically decursing, but I can't say we wiped much.
The mobs have enormous aggro range, though.

For someone who wasn't playing when the original MC was a thing, it was enjoyable but I feel like people who played in Vanilla are a little nostalgia blinded.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
And there will still be people who believe that Vanilla was the best thing ever
I believe that Vanilla was a unique experience that we'll never experience again, despite how poor a lot of the mechanics were back then. The benefit of Vanilla was the relationships I made through it and the memories of doing some really epic stuff that I have yet to experience in the new expansion to the same extent. I've literally been in the same guild, same server for almost 10 years now.

That being said, their raid format back then was horrendous. There's a reason why they changed it.
I agree there was something unique to vanilla and that it was mostly due to the friendships made and such. The only thing I think I miss honestly was the original PvP titles, though I don't miss having to re-grind for a title if I was offline for any period of time. I definitely don't miss raid-leading BWL (I still get migraines thinking about coordinating those fights). Nor do I miss hunter-kiting mobs which always felt like a "we don't know how to work this encounter so kite" mechanic.
I admit kiting is a standard hunter tactic, but it just felt so forced back then... also it might be due to having so few great hunters who could actually kite correctly on the first BWL boss...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The instance is an absolute clusterfuck. Nobody listens or seems to know what to do. The group I went in kept wiping on the first trash because everyone kept AoEing, causing the lava spawns to split and overwhelm us. Then they would ress and keep doing it despite people yelling at them to stop. We finally cleared that group and then on the 2nd group of trash they did the exact same thing. Then some hunter sent his pet rushing ahead to pull a couple of extra groups so I just left.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
The instance is an absolute clusterfuck. Nobody listens or seems to know what to do. The group I went in kept wiping on the first trash because everyone kept AoEing, causing the lava spawns to split and overwhelm us. Then they would ress and keep doing it despite people yelling at them to stop. We finally cleared that group and then on the 2nd group of trash they did the exact same thing. Then some hunter sent his pet rushing ahead to pull a couple of extra groups so I just left.
Best bet is to find a guild on your server thats running it and ask to join or start a PUG and /kick folks who don't listen. People so used to the LFR easy raids of old are quickly finding out that you can't tank n' spank anymore. To me this isn't a bad thing and will weed out those who don't learn eventually.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Best bet is to find a guild on your server thats running it and ask to join or start a PUG and /kick folks who don't listen. People so used to the LFR easy raids of old are quickly finding out that you can't tank n' spank anymore. To me this isn't a bad thing and will weed out those who don't learn eventually.
My guild is going back on Wednesday with as much guildies as we can muster so we can have some control over it. Last night only a few of us went and when we saw how disorganised it was we were just like "fuck this, we'll come back another time with more of our own." :p

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
My guild is going back on Wednesday with as much guildies as we can muster so we can have some control over it. Last night only a few of us went and when we saw how disorganised it was we were just like "fuck this, we'll come back another time with more of our own." :p
I hope it inspires more group dynamics in RF, because the current state of wank-n-spank is so boring. Then again with the loss of trinkets and such in RF, I may start running more organized raids this time around.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
That, i have to admit, it one adorable pet. And yeah, I was one of those MC raiders back in the days and hearing people in this thread talking about how current WoW-players are getting wrecked is rather funny.

And by funny I mean in a "Bwahahaha, get gud scrubs! L2P n00bs!"-kind of way. Because I remember MC as the weekly farming for gear event we quickly mowed through, and as something that took between 45 minutes and an hours if people did what they where supposed to.

But it's also kind of nice to hear the games evolved not to be such a bloody chore only a few people, with shitloads of free time, can engage in.

I'm still not going back though, not even if it was free to play. 3 years of WoW was more than enough time playing the same game each day for me.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
If anything, doing MC with 40 people showed you that the encounters really weren't designed to require 40 people. That is, if you had 20 people on the ball doing what needed to be done, the other 20 almost didn't matter, assuming they weren't so inadequate as to sabotage the rest of the group (which isn't as unlikely as it sounds).

I did that more than enough back in the day, not sure I've got the interest to go back in and try it again. I remember when MC was all there was to do at end game, and that's all we did, a lot.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
It's just not an authentic Southshore victory if I'm not rounding up 15 to 20 fellow Hordies to go stomp the fear of Sylvanas into the 1 or 2 cowering pinkies unfortunate enough to be questing in the area.

Kidding...kinda.
I do look forward to checking out the new BG.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
As a vanilla player, it's absolutely better to run out of the instance if it's that first pack of Firelords and some twats are just spawning more and more adds.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Waaghpowa said:
As a vanilla player, it's absolutely better to run out of the instance if it's that first pack of Firelords and some twats are just spawning more and more adds.
But running out when you're at the trash near Baron isn't better at all.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I learned that people don't seem to remember where their dispel buttons are. Especially the dirty mages.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
deth2munkies said:
But running out when you're at the trash near Baron isn't better at all.
Well, of course.

deth2munkies said:
I learned that people don't seem to remember where their dispel buttons are. Especially the dirty mages.
Dispel was changed from Molten Core times; it has a much longer cooldown now.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I've yet to indulge in Molten Core and I'm not sure whether it's a PuG group or an LFR affair yet, but I am a bit annoyed that the game's limitations causes the Corgi to be sent to all characters. I hate deleting Corgis I can't use dammit!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
So to put it another way, the best thing about Vanilla was that it was when you first played? Because you could replace "Vanilla" with "BC/WoTLK/Cata/MoP" and that would probably be equally as applicable for people who didn't start playing at Vanilla.