Celebrities Play D&D For a Good Cause

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Celebrities Play D&D For a Good Cause

The crew from I Hit It with My Axe, Eberron's Keith Baker, and one of the guys from Robot Chicken played Dungeons & Dragons to raise money for charity.

At Wizards of the Coast [http://meltcomics.com/] was happy to supply a whole bunch of 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons materials and food was provided by Mars Hot Dogs, Jersey Mikes in West Hollywood, and Shipyard Beer.

But it wasn't all eating, drinking and having fun killing monsters. The attendees were encouraged to donate to the JVS Literacy Network [http://www.jvsla.org/], a charity established to help those down on their luck. Founded in 1931 to help combat the Great Depression, JVS is dedicated exclusively to employment services, helping the long-term unemployed, people with disabilities, refugees and at-risk youth to get the skills that they need to find a job. All of the proceeds from the event, including the sale of any photographs or artwork created from the event, will go towards JVS.

[gallery=58]

Check out all of the pictures that Satine posted on her blog, Sex Food and Comic Books [http://sexfoodandcomicbooks.com/comics/]. It certainly looks like everyone had a great time, and I wish that it wasn't on the other side of the country or I would have loved to attend.

See Mom, D&D doesn't turn us all into Satan-worshiping degenerates like you told me growing up. These people played Dungeons & Dragons for good.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
5 and 7, and 6 and 8 are the same pictures

Looks like fun, maybe we should start up our old D&D sessions again.... highschool here we come :)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
So, where are the celebrities, again?

I know that Vin Diesel plays D&D. Where was he?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Very cool. I know the Penny Arcade guys sell off their D&D dice now and then for the "Child's Play" charity, wonder if they'll do a D&D charity game like this one? (I want more Wil Wheaton gaming sessions!)

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
Very interested in the topic, but I can't help but notice that it was written about an event in the past but has no mention of when exactly.

I believe that while like the author I'm about as far as you can get from LA and still be in the continental US, a heads up about such a great charity event ahead of time might have been a boost to their collection amounts and a very welcome message to potential local attendees. (Unless it was a closed event, but like the date, that's not specified in the article.)

Still, it is a great thing to have happened.. even without me. :)

- Tir

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Tirnor said:
Very interested in the topic, but I can't help but notice that it was written about an event in the past but has no mention of when exactly.

I believe that while like the author I'm about as far as you can get from LA and still be in the continental US, a heads up about such a great charity event ahead of time might have been a boost to their collection amounts and a very welcome message to potential local attendees. (Unless it was a closed event, but like the date, that's not specified in the article.)

- Tir
I'm pretty sure this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104892-Volunteers-Needed-for-Charity-D-D-Event-in-LA] is the event they're talking about. Though a link in the article would have been helpful.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Tirnor said:

- Tir
There was a head's up, of sorts. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104892-Volunteers-Needed-for-Charity-D-D-Event-in-LA] [Edit] Ninja'd.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
It does sound like a huge amount of fun. A cool little idea for what seems like a damn good cause. I wish we had a charity like that in this country - then I'd be all employed and powerful, instead of being all unemployed and resentful.

I've never even seen tournament style D&D before, although I do know it exists. How did it work exactly? Did everybody just take turns as DM for a bit or was there one DM and one adventure throughout the event?

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Started reading and was all "oh, cool". But then I read "4th Edition" and was all *sigh.....*
But still, very very cool.
Not to much in the way of "celebrities" though was there? I mean, I new all teh ones listed, but that's because I'm such a freakin geek.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
This sounds like an excellent idea. I love the idea of one-off D&D sessions for charity. More of this needs to happen. Perhaps Wizards of the Coast could que up and make an annual event (invitational)for .

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
Delusibeta said:
There was a head's up, of sorts. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104892-Volunteers-Needed-for-Charity-D-D-Event-in-LA] [Edit] Ninja'd.
I stand at least partially corrected. It is entirely possible that I glossed over the original notice when I saw "in LA".

Call me when it gets to East FL. I'll be there with dice-shaped bells on.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Oh hey, thats awesome. It's always super cool to read about people who watch anime/red manga/play video games/other nerdy things for the sake of others.

>4th Edition

Apparently the good cause wasn't a return to 3.5

Satine Phoenix

Feb 19, 2010
Hi All,
The details in the article are a bit... not there. Here are the specs.

So, the first part of the charity event had me gathering a group of actors, musicians, directors, photographers etc to play D&D.
This event was put together by Sax Carr, Jay Garret of Dragon's Den, Meltdown Comics and Myself in LA.

The first task was to shoot footage of each table's game. This footage will be edited down and Premiered at the second part of the event: the fundraising part - The Art Gallery on FEB 24, 2011. All proceeds from the door, the art auctioned and other items auctioned will go to the Literacy Network Charity. WOTC is helping Keith Put together the adventure to sell for the charity as well.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS:

We are looking for artists from all over the globe to donate a piece for our charity.
Specs: After agreeing to donate a painting/sketch/illustration/sculpture/mixed media etc... we will show you footage from the event and you will paint a scene with renditions of the actors as their characters. This can be as big or small as you like.
You can then mail the item by Feb 20th to Satine @ 1976 S. La Cienega Blvd #104, LA, CA 90034

Please tell all your friends, blog etc. This is the first run of this charity event and the success of this will jump start a Bi-Yearly event sponsored by Wizards of the Coast.

This Project is my baby. Its everything i've ever wanted to do for charity. Art & D&D with cool peeps. And first and foremost - Its for a good cause.

If you know anyone who wants to participate in this please forward them my email: [email protected]

Thanks guys,
Satine