CES Booth Babes: Look But Don't Touch

Hurray Forums

Jun 4, 2008
The men doing it suck for not having an ounce of self control or social skills.

The booth babes themselves suck for not being able to see this coming and expecting me to feel sorry for someone who gets paid to stand around looking pretty all day. I mean really, one of the complaints in the article was that some of the men talked to her. Oh geez, a public relations employee having to have relations with the public, the horror. Not to mention if it was such an awful experience they could, you know, get a real job.

The practice of booth babes in general sucks because something genuinely good shouldn't need sexual gratification that is 90% of the time not even tangentially related to the product being sold.

Obvious solution, get rid of booth babes, yay! (Yeah right)

P.S. This is hardly a male-only issue, I've seen women be JUST as bad as men at keeping their hands to themselves. It's just not as big of an issue to most since there's less situations that instigate the behavior and because of double standards in most modern cultures.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Sometimes, the men are just ricetarded.
I'm glad they added the subtle anti-generalisation word 'The' in. I would've felt offended. Good show.

Some people are like that, some people aren't. At the end of the day it's just nature. Just some people have a better grip on it than others.

Felgy76

Oct 29, 2008
Many men come equipped with a brain, and a penis, but sadly only enough blood to run one at a time.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
CarrionRoc said:
I never got the purpose of a both babe. Why do there have to be women around the product? Is it not that good? Cause I don't remember a women walking out on a stage with an iPod stuck in her cleavage.
Well, hitting the spot on an appeal can do amazing things to people. I ended up registering to a cartoon-style text-based game because I was forced to look at its pretty banner a hundred times or so while reading a web comic of many pages. I have Adblock on, I could have blocked it in a couple of clicks, but I didn't - I tend to block fugly ads but this was a pretty ad. And I kept telling myself before that "that reminds me of AQ, eww". Not that AQ's bad or something, it's just something I associate with my internet misadventures of when I was 16...

(AQ = Adventure Quest)

Now I feel a bit more geeky for explaining all of this which should be pretty obvious *sigh*

Ushario

Mar 6, 2009
kementari said:
Poor booth babes. Trust me, this article doesn't even come close to covering the worst.

I boothbabed at E3 once, for a company that decided to hire (attractive) cosplayers to portray their games' characters and speak intelligently and excitedly about the upcoming games, rather than models who admittedly look pretty but can be kinda depressing when you realize they think your hobby is stupid/immature.

I never had to bear the uber-skimpy outfits, since the character I was portraying was in a tight but not very revealing costume, but the girls from other booths I talked to while I was there told me some stories that still keep me up at night. The depths to which socially inept men can sink...
The problem with socially inept people is that they don't even realize it most of the time.

Booth girls don't deserve harassment just because they accepted the job, but some can be very hostile which doesn't help them. I once asked for directions and got an absolute blasting.

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
The_dududf said:
Ocelot GT said:
Half way to stop acting like a child... huzza.

Also, if you peek into the Forum Rules it clearly says to use proper spelling and grammar. Now since their has been a long influx in members mods can't exactly warn every single abuser of that. Which is fine I guess, but none the less don't abuse the lack of punishment and talk like you're a 3rd grade kid talking over MSN.

Also, that's "Spelling Nazi" to you missy.

If I was an Actual Nazi, then my profile page would be covered in swastikas, and "HEIL HITLER". Go check both my temporary and my main, just search "dududf" and you'll get a response.

Also I was using "4" in the number sense, as it was representing a numeric value. Also, the irony of YOU of all people (example, post 21 on this thread. Unless s/he edits it.) Final note, you chastising me for not typing out "four" (even though the situation I used it in was fine) is just histarical.

Good Day Sir.
[/rant]
Since you care so dearly for grammar and spelling I have edited your post. It now complies with the forum rules.

Half way to stop acting like a child...(fragmented, needs to be rewritten) huzzah (not hazza, they have different meanings).
Also, if you peek into the Forum Rules it clearly says to use proper spelling and grammar. Now since there(not their) has been a long influx in members mods can't exactly warn every single abuser (get rid of "of that" it repeats the topic). Which is fine I guess, but nonetheless (nonetheless is one word, don't use none the less) don't abuse the lack of punishment and talk like you're a third grade kid (do not repeat the same verb twice in one sentence).

Also, that's "Spelling Nazi" to you Missy.

If I was an actual(no capital needed) Nazi, then my profile page would be covered in swastikas (no comma needed) and "HEIL HITLER". Go check both my temporary and my main, just search "dududf" and you'll get a response.
Also I was using "4" in the number sense, as it was representing a numeric value (numbers under twenty are spelled in full, above twenty written numerically). Also, the irony of YOU of all people (example, post 21 on this thread. Unless s/he edits it.)(Also, the irony of you of all people isn't a sentence. Edit your bracketed information or give a written example) Final note, you chastising me for not typing out "four" (even though the situation I used it in was fine) is just hysterical (not histarical).

Good day(no capital needed) Sir.

----

I have fixed your post for the sake of the forum rules. It is now much tidier and contains no spelling mistakes. However, if the forum rules relating to spelling and grammar were enforced many would already be banned. Case in point, the American enquiry thread. The correct spelling in such a case is inquiry. My spelling was deliberately misspelled by contrast.
In closing, anyone who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones. I have had a long and awful day and do not appreciate someone covertly trolling by correcting deliberate spelling mistakes. It does not in anyway reflect a degree of intelligence, but only serves to boost one's ego and humiliate another.

-Kind regards, Piper

And now do you see how trivial it is to correct another person's spelling and grammar on an internet forum?

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
Damn, that need sorting out. Perhaps better security or something. They are paid to attract people to the stand not to be manhandled and disrespected.
It's hard to think such a shy and retreating community as the gaming one would do these things.

"Kick 'em in the nuuutts!"

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Gh0st1y_H said:
All I hear are complaints that people are being stupid and offensive.

Name a job in which the people you deal with aren't stupid and offensive.
When you are a mortician the dead can't be stupid and offensive.

I have to agree with what others are saying. Just because the women are paid to be scantly clad at times does not give anyone a right to try and touch them.

Now that you seem to have gotten your metaphorical head out of your ass I have no further qualms.
No need to fight over spelling or grammar. Just ignore each other.

But he has a point. You are paid to be walking meat. Sorry honey but it is all part of the job description
I don't think the job description says anything about men trying to grope them.

If someone does grope a booth babe they should immediately be thrown out of the convention and banned from that specific show.

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
The_dududf said:
Ocelot GT said:
And now do you see how trivial it is to correct another person's spelling and grammar on an internet forum?
No not really.

The difference between "u doin boiz u noes wut im sayin" and your "new" way of speaking is huge.

I was ranting on the MSN chat.

Now that you seem to have gotten your metaphorical head out of your ass I have no further qualms.

I'm still giggling in the irony that YOU'RE proof reading me.
Sigh.

-When you talk on MSN you are trying to engage in real time conversation. Little to no one uses correct grammar or spelling/pronunciation during real time conversation.

What irony? I have a bachelor of journalism and my sub-major was in public relations. I have worked as an editor, a journalist (both print and broadcast) and now I am in the marketing/promotions field.

No one writes a well thought out idea, argument or thought within a matter of minutes. Something most people cannot grasp is that while a journalist might take only fifteen minutes to write five hundred words, the job doesn't end there. The editing process then begins and those five hundred words will be re-shuffled, and tidied up. In the end a writer may spend up to as much as two hours on a measly five hundred words.

Most people do not wish to spend as much time as that on a simple internet forum. For them they just wish to quickly communicate their idea and thought and will therefore skip the editing process. And with very good reason. The expression of ideas, thoughts, arguments or ideologies on the internet is not considered a cognitive pursuit. That which goes on in chatrooms, forums and public discussions online has little to no value to any professional organization or party.
Forums are considered by many to be a place of misinformation with only a skint value. Even somewhat cognitive and critical sites such as wikipedia (whom prides itself on it's information) is of little value to a professional organization or party. You are not permitted to use any information from wikipedia in a university assignment, it is considered mere background reading at best.
So by comparison a critical site such as wikipedia in regards to an entertainment site such as The Escapist (which survives off advertising revenue) is seen as being more intellectual. But even an intellectual website carries little to no sway or weight in the world outside the internet. Many forums by large are not seen as a place to spend any great length of time communicating in the correct manner in order to express a message.

It' be like putting a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a silver platter and eating it with a knife and fork. It is a contradictory act to the widely accepted paradigm.

As an online petition means nothing to law makers. Yet a real pen and paper petition carries a degree of persuasion, albeit slight. And so too the discussions on a forum, no matter how critical will for the time being, be considered trivial by professionals. Only tabloids run with trivial information pulled from the fabric of the internet. And they do this purely for readership, which translates into revenue from advertising.

-Piper

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
So, it's like being a stripper only without stripping?

Ocelot GT said:
Most people do not wish to spend as much time as that on a simple internet forum.-Piper
But apparently, you do.
Seriously though, I find that a very weak excuse, myself. I can type out a perfectly coherent sentence with little effort regardless of if it's instant messaging, forums, whatever, it's not really very hard.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
instead of the blonde airhead,I was thinking that's a 350z

What led to me say that is the headlight design.

If I was at CES,I wouldnt be noticing the booth babes,I'd be asking for the specs sheets on the products that are about to be released.

If I had known the PSP slider/PSPGO had bluetooth 2.1,I would have saved up for that,instead of purchasing a PSP-3000. I had to get something to replace my borked PSP first gen.

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
Im sorry to inform you but this isn't anything new... Its a normal response for a man to feel sexually aroused when he sees a women of proper breeding capabilities.. And women try to choose the man that best suits the offspring's rate of success.. Its just the truth... I mean after all we are animals.. No need to sugar coat it.. We are animals but just use our environment to our advantage.. Were really not all that different from the other species when you get down to the bare facts.. Sure we are superior because we have evolved to a much higher level.. But we still have those basic instincts that will probably never go away.. Just like how you can domesticate a dog but the dog will still survive on the outside wold.. Because of the basic instincts it has.. It will at least last a few weeks at the very least.. No mater how long the breeds have interchanged and been diluted to be domesticated..

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
I won't excuse the men's behaviour here, but the women are willingly putting themselves in a position to be objectified, and this sort of thing happens to anyone dealing with the public, not just pretty girls.

Granted, the pretty girls may have to deal with more sexual situations, but once again, they're intentionally encouraging that kind of behaviour.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I have heard some horror stories about booth babes and the sad thing is that some people just dont know how to interact with others outside of a keyboard, or the subject matter of choice (I happen to know a few people like that and it is kind of scary, not talkin to them just the fact that it does happen) or we have the other cases of people who are just pervs and think that just cos there is pretty girls on show wearin, sometimes, little to nothing that they are there for their own enjoyment and will take full advantage of that fact

-M

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Never been to an electronic expo. However at comic conventions it's common for booth babes to sit on attendees laps and allow groping as a service. The worse of it was not only are there always kids there, but my first experience of this was as a wee lad seeing my still married father enjoying this with women young enough to be my sister.