CES Booth Babes: Look But Don't Touch

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
The_dududf said:
Ocelot GT said:
This does not change anything. Throwing credentials around doesn't change anything either.

You still spoke like an idiot, I called you on it. You then replied coherently I stopped caring. Now you are continuing.

Also, you mentioned "Most people do not wish to spend as much time as that on a simple internet forum" and yet, you have shown that you are more then willing to do just that. Which makes your arguement for MSN chat void.

Just don't type like you're a 3rd grader with down syndrome, and as I've said I have no more annoyances (well actually I said "Qualms" but my friend is berating me about the definition of it.).

[sub] Fire fox spell check is not on this particular computer, so ranting at lack of spelling will be thoroughly ignored.[/sub]
You have been delightfully amusing with your attempts today.

I've snickered quite a bit.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
I can see the point of what they're saying, but at the same time I disagree to a point.

Yes, people are shite. You have to work in retail for barely any length of time to see that! I've had situations where at my old job I was carrying stock (sometimes slightly heavy/awkward) and customers were approaching me to ask questions. Hell, once I was rerolling a rug and they asked me. But I cannot turn around and say "I worked for X/Y/Z" or "I was working at A/B/C" and make those comments, because it's unprofessional.

These "Booth Babes" are well aware of what these conventions are, especially if they're gaming ones. They agree to wear the more-than-revealing costumes, therefore they should accept that men are going to gawk at them and possibly want a bit of hands-on with the "game". Bouncers? Going way overboard there. But what there should be is some form of security patrol over small areas - So say there's 2-3 security personnel between 10 exhibits. They regularly check in with the women and make sure nothing untoward is happening, and if it is, the lady should point so-and-so out.

On the other hand, I agree that we men can be pigs. I'm not saying all of us are, and I'm not going to say none of us are. I think a lot of these troublemakers do need a swift boot up the arse, but I honestly cannot say it's purely their fault.

It's unfair to put all the blame on one group, IMHO. The promoters should really tone down the T&A on display, the men need to put their penises back in their trousers, and the event organisers need to put some form of protection for the women in.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Low Key said:
samsonguy920 said:
I never said nor implied they couldn't vent. I just don't think this story is newsworthy, so that's why I wrote what I did. I'd imagine the same thing would happen if someone interviewed me about the bullshit I have to put up with at my job.
Your opinion has been noted. What say we leave what's newsworthy up to the editorial staff? Though they might be hiring.
breadlord said:
I thought for a minute, then I remembered this:

Easily made into a handstamp for attendees. Would actually deter a lot of touching. Humorous picvid as well. :)
Labyrinth said:
paragon1 said:
snipped for thread economy(we know what you said)
The Agency probably says something like "You're going to this convention today, in this outfit, to advertise this product." I'm not sure how much choice the models themselves have in the matter. Either way I can't say I envy them the job.

Just because we have low expectations of human behaviour does not make it okay for that behaviour to be perpetuated. It's all very easy to say "they should see it coming" but how far a step is that from the rampant victim-blaming culture we have in any situation of sexual harassment or assault?

So here's the deal. We hold the adults who approach these booths responsible for their actions. If they behave in a shitty manner they should be reprimanded for that because they're making the choice to do so. People like the guy who was holding her hand, for example. The ones who try to cop a feel. These are unlikely to be the majority but they shouldn't be "part of the job." It goes back to the idea of "models are people too." Just because they're there to look pretty and sell a product does not give other people any kind of right to harass them.

I also think it's a poor reflection on social expectations of men that we allow them to be unable to 'control their lusts' and keep their hands to themselves.
I agree wholeheartedly, but I don't see any action on it anytime soon, with media conventions(whether it be electronic or entertainment) getting so desperate for money they have to rip off their own boothvendors. They would probably feel if they started discouraging the perverts, that would be too much a cut in attendance.
It sucks moreso for the models, because if memory serves, convention appearances don't pay as well as other modeling opportunities. You either have a lazyass agent who won't bother looking for better stuff, or the better stuff just isn't out there at the moment. So it's basically be a booth babe or starve.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Low Key said:
I never said nor implied they couldn't vent. I just don't think this story is newsworthy, so that's why I wrote what I did. I'd imagine the same thing would happen if someone interviewed me about the bullshit I have to put up with at my job.
Your opinion has been noted. What say we leave what's newsworthy up to the editorial staff? Though they might be hiring.
Or you could simply not reply to what I have to say. See, I'm allowed to have an opinion and you are more than welcome to ignore it. That would deter you from misconstruing my post resulting in a snide comment from me. Thanks anyways though. Have a nice day!

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
inpachi said:
Im sorry to inform you but this isn't anything new... Its a normal response for a man to feel sexually aroused when he sees a women of proper breeding capabilities.. And women try to choose the man that best suits the offspring's rate of success.. Its just the truth... I mean after all we are animals.. No need to sugar coat it.. We are animals but just use our environment to our advantage.. Were really not all that different from the other species when you get down to the bare facts.. Sure we are superior because we have evolved to a much higher level.. But we still have those basic instincts that will probably never go away.. Just like how you can domesticate a dog but the dog will still survive on the outside wold.. Because of the basic instincts it has.. It will at least last a few weeks at the very least.. No mater how long the breeds have interchanged and been diluted to be domesticated..
While your agrument is mostly valid, there are some issues.

Sure men choose women based on breeding sometimes, and women equally so. But this doesn't give anyone the greenlight to sexually harass another person at their place of work, or harass them outright.

Asking someone if their breasts are real, or other sexual comments are sexual harassment.

The men who behave in such a way towards booth babes are just perverts.

Now, flip to a nightclub and if a guy is asking a girl there, or a girl talks about a guy's muscles. That's more appropriate, as that is a location where many people search for a partner. Although one must be equally careful in that situation to avoid sexual harassment.

I'm sure this article and these booth girls are complaining about consistent remarks from an individual. I.E "you're hot!" "they real!?" "you're so soft and sexy" being said by the one individual. If the girl doesn't respond in kind, then anyone who's not a pervert would see that she is not interested, and it's time to stop.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
The guy who told her his life story must be an illegal immigrant from Dragon Age: Origins

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Garaw said:
Mercanary57 said:
AAAAAaaaaaaaand this is why people are stupid.
Oh booth babes/strippers, now I know why you feel dead inside!
E3 is always better when the booth babe is crying.
And a lapdance is so much better when the stripper is crying... I find it's quite a thrill, when she's grinding against her will...
(Hilarious song, and I laughed at the Bloodhound Gang Reference)

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
...People randomly get that shit in the street. Standing next to a product and promoting it with your boobs isn't going to gain you any more respect than a stranger.

I thought this kind of thing was to be expected, or maybe I'm just some kind of genius.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If you're gonna parade girls around like a piece of candy then some guys will act like a kid in a candy store.

I'm a warm-blooded guy, but I've always found the whole booth babe thing a little stupid and unnessecary.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
They're not hired because they look pretty. They're hired because they look pretty and they're willing to wear clothing most women would not wear in public while in an environment populated almost entirely by men.

There's another job with that exact description: stripper.

See, the problem here is that booth babes have a stripper job description but have convinced themselves that they're just modelling.

Should the guys behave that way? Absolutely not, but some guys acting inappropriately around strippers isn't exactly a news story.