Challenge - Regenerating health

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
LookingGlass said:
For me it's never felt more out of place than in Rainbow Six: Vegas. The earlier rainbow six games were all about "you get shot, you die". They were about planning and execution. They were not like every other shooter on the market.

Vegas changed so much of the Rainbow Six experience that it really shouldn't have been under the Rainbow Six name. It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't a Rainbow Six game. It's as if they weren't trying to appeal to the same audience at all anymore. The regenerating health wasn't the only issue there, but it was the most major contributor.
does Vegas 2 have health regen? B/c it doesn't seem like it, your health I am sure doesn't and if it does. Well you die so quickly it doesn't matter.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Sixcess said:
Games where regenerating health works: All of them.

Seriously, I stopped sneering at regenerating health after I played the original Half Life and found myself scraping through entire levels on 5% health because that one HECU marine got the drop on me and chopped my health bar in half in one second. Or worse yet, because I missed a jump during a platforming section.
Agree, it increases the flow of a game as the need to quickload or to go on a search for health after each battle disappears.

I like the middle ground option as well, the segmented regenerating health a la Riddick.

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
I personally like Halo: Combat Evolved and Reach's health system. You have a health bar that doesn't regenerate unless you go grab a health pack. However, there is also a bit of a shield that does regenerate to help absorb smaller sources of damage. It has the penalty of being easier to kill with less health, but is a bit more forgiving in that not every little scratch will end up killing you.

That being said, not every game should have this. It makes sense in the Halo universe, because these are basically walking trucks with advanced shield technology. They should be able to take more damage and protect themselves better than people in modern games. Games like CoD don't make sense to have your character be riddled with bullets, but just 'walk it off' after a couple of seconds.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I hate regenerating health. It takes away so much from the game. All you have to do when you get shot is hide for a few seconds and do the same things you did before you were shot. Developers have to think where to put medkits, so having regenerative health is basically like saying 'fuck you, we're too lazy to think this through'. When you have medkits you have to think about how you're going to approach the problem. You can't go in guns blazing every time. So regenerative health takes away a lot of tactics and experience.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Every Socom has had static health bars, with no health packs on the map. Once your hit and wounded, you carry that for the rest of the round, making you a very easy target if they did a number to you. Socom 4 though, introduced regenerating health, and I just don't think that's what Socom is all about. It ruined it in my opinion. It's not a bad game, per se, but it is a terrible Socom game. If they called Socom 4 anything else, I could get behind it, but because they promised us a Socom and introduced a game that sucked up to every other FPS out there today, it failed to meet Socom standards. It's like wanting a Guild Wars 2, but then you play it and it threw out everything Guild Wars did and copies WoW instead. Sure, it could be a good game, but if you wanted a sequel to Guild Wars, you're out of luck.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
zuro64 said:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
I love the BF series more then any ohter game series but the regeneting health sucks in that game!

First of all you dont have a healthbar in your HUD but you can se what other players in your team has in health and you see what the guy who killed you had in health!

Secondly it doesnt really tell you when you have regen enough health to take a bullet without dying unlike CoD that you become blinded by blod to tell your about to be screwed!

Thirdly it takes away the reason for medickits in BC2 as of now that peaple use only for faster rengen. In the older installments it was an escentual part of what made BF different from most other FPS's.

That and 64 players maps, vehicles, knife as a weapon and not as melee and realods that are realistic meaning that when you reload with bullets still in the mag, they are spent and doesnt automatically bunch up with the rest to be used at another reload.

So the solution to this would basically be to make it exactally like BF2:D
Ehm, you do get a bloody screen when you need health and you don't regen at a certain point, so Medics are damn useful!
Just wanted to correct that

Edit: Forgot to quote -__-

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
As much as I hate to say it. Duke Nukem Forever's regenerating health acting as Duke's ego was a pretty brilliant way to do regenerating health.
Now if only it didn't regenerate unless Duke wach checking himself out or kicking pig cops in the chops.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I honestly can't think of any. Really.

I know there must be at least one I felt was ruined. But I can't think of one right now.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zhukov said:
Why? Because you didn't have to run around after every fight/fall looking for health restoration items. You could just keep running for the next objective. Also, because it meant that the individual encounters could be balanced better since the developers knew exactly how much health the player would have going into them.

That is to say, the same reason regenerating health works in every game.
Thats my thoughts on Regen health. But I would prefer the segmented health system from games like Far Cry 2.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I can't say I really agree with regenerating health.

There's so much other potential for other types of health. (Such as damage inflicting wounds, losing blood and all that jazz.)

And for shooters to just default upon "YOUR WOUNDS MAGICALLY HEAL AS YOU WAIT FOR 10 SECONDS BEHIND THIS BOX." is just a bit silly to me.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Korten12 said:
LookingGlass said:
For me it's never felt more out of place than in Rainbow Six: Vegas. The earlier rainbow six games were all about "you get shot, you die". They were about planning and execution. They were not like every other shooter on the market.

Vegas changed so much of the Rainbow Six experience that it really shouldn't have been under the Rainbow Six name. It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't a Rainbow Six game. It's as if they weren't trying to appeal to the same audience at all anymore. The regenerating health wasn't the only issue there, but it was the most major contributor.
does Vegas 2 have health regen? B/c it doesn't seem like it, your health I am sure doesn't and if it does. Well you die so quickly it doesn't matter.
I'm fairly sure they both use the same system. It's not as bad if you play on "realistic" because you can only take a few shots, but you can still take a few shots and then hide behind cover for a minute and repeat indefinitely.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Fable 3. You also cannot see your health bar. If you die, you don't lose, you get back up and gain a scar. There is no incentive for not taking damage.

However hard mode regen health is turned off and you have half your original invisable health. Does feel like the game should have been like that to begin with.

Health should only regen when out of combat. It encourages sulking tactics of hiding behind nipple high walls.

Players complain about campers in CoD multiplayer. It's regening health's fault.

sharkinz

Apr 26, 2010
Squarez said:
Sixcess said:
Games where regenerating health works: All of them.

Seriously, I stopped sneering at regenerating health after I played the original Half Life and found myself scraping through entire levels on 5% health because that one HECU marine got the drop on me and chopped my health bar in half in one second. Or worse yet, because I missed a jump during a platforming section.

(Question: You've just lost 50% of your health in a failed platform jump in HL. You will have to climb back up and try it again, and even when you get over it you've still lost that health. Is there any sane reason NOT to just reload from the last quicksave?)

Modern games in particular have massive incoming fire that usually can't be dodged Doom-style, and protagonists that can't take more than a couple of hits without dying. Removing regen health from these games would require the devs to rebalance the entire game.
Exactly, people complain about health regen being 'unrealistic', but if the developers wanted to make the game so it wasn't ridiculously difficult they'd have to make the main character able to take crazy amounts of damage before death. Which is even more unrealistic.
I think both options are equally unrealistic.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Gonna go with the echo here and say Far Cry 2. Sure it might've been a bit too insane to be realistic, but it was perfect for keeping the pacing and tension up, while making you feel like a bad-ass, but not Arnie Commando invincible either.

LookingGlass said:

I thought this too when I first played the Vegas series. Although vegas 2 remains one of my fav games, the last one I played was Raven Shield, so yeah, it was quite a shock of how easy it was in the beginning. I mean first you had a squad of max. 4 people, take a non-lethal shot and you are pretty much screwed, you limp around and become easy target. You can switch squad members, but if anyone dies thats it for the WHOLE game. That was more realistic as it also incorporated leans as opposed to cover system (seriously, nobody with half a brain would whip that much of their body out to fire back at enemies, except for marcus fenix).

I'll agree that it felt aimed at a different audience too, but vegas was just a different kettle of fish I guess. You don't even have to plan every step before you start the missions. Old rainbow 6 was crazy simulation, with all the go-codes, way points, sniper and assault squads and coordination before each mission.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
scw55 said:
Fable 3. You also cannot see your health bar. If you die, you don't lose, you get back up and gain a scar. There is no incentive for not taking damage.
I had one reason to make sure my fighting was top notch, some of those finishers were absolutely wicked.

OT: I can't think of any time that I've thought "Ya know what, I wish I had to go hunt around for a medkit right about now". Besides, I can't think of any game I've played without regen health where you aren't tripping over medkits like it's christmas, except Tom Clancy games.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
I like the way Resistance did it. All segmented and junk. You have 4 bars of health or whatever. If you lose half a bar, you'll regenerate back up to full health. If you lose exactly 2 bars, you'll be stuck at 2 bars until you find some health packs. Or something like that. I don't know.

NinjaRock

Aug 16, 2011
I think that a game that regenerating health well in a roundabout way was bad company 1

You had a syringe that would heal you to 100% but it took a while to recharge and it left you vulnerable. something like that where you can have regenerating health but you can't regen a massive amount in firefights is really good as it doesn't give you a huge advantage in firefights but you don't need medkits.

I do think however that some games would have been ruined with regenerating health,
Battlefield 2 (the medic would have been useless )
Team Fortress 2 (again the medic would not be as useful )
Pretty much every arena game ever.

Whether or not it is good depends on what game it is and how it is implemented

PS. I get annoyed with blood on the screen because i am almost dead and i can't see what i am supposed to be shooting.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Irridium said:
Any game with regenerating health: replace that with a segmented health bar as seen in Resistance 1, Far Cry 2, and Chronicles or Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.
Condemned 2 did this as well, segmented with three blocks with painkillers scattered around in logical places (medicine cupboard, supply boxes) that could refill them. A good thing too was that if you died, you'd respawn at the last check point with full health, kind of the game acknowledging perhaps that bit was too hard with one health.