Champions Online Free-to-Play Begins January 25

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Champions Online Free-to-Play Begins January 25

Champions Online: Free For All, the free-to-play update to the superhero MMO Champions Online [http://www.champions-online.com/], will go live on January 25.

Cryptic Lord of the Rings Online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104718-Champions-Online-Going-Super-Free-to-Play], both of which experienced substantial boosts in interest and revenues after dropping their mandatory monthly subscription fees, and soon we'll see if Cryptic has the same luck with its superhero-themed online game.

Like other free-to-play MMOs, Champions Online: Free For All will offer unlimited play with access to everything but "Special Adventure Packs" at no cost and with no subscription required. Players may purchase extra content like the Adventure Packs, items, powers and costumes on an "a la carte" basis, while a $14.99 monthly subscription option will remain available to to those who want unfettered access to just about everything the game has to offer.

The Champions Online: Free For All update will be unleashed worldwide on January 25. To learn more about the game and its free-to-play future, go to champions-online.com/f2p [http://www.champions-online.com/f2p].

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Perfect. Timing.

I'm looking for a solid F2P MMO, and LOTRO is pretty good. But Champions is looking better to me.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Speaking of somebody who put somewhere around 2000 hours into City of Heroes, I'll likely be there when Champions Online goes F2P, although it's not quite as deep or well balanced as the original, and DC Universe Online largely succeeded in being the game that release pressures prevented it from being.

Talk about between a rock and a hard place! Funny enough, going F2P could be Champions Online's ace-in-the-hole. Frankly, action games with a casual focus that makes grouping largely vestigial end up producing experiences that aren't really monthly subscription material. Until DC Universe Online wisens up about this, Champions Online's going to take the lion's share.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Great!
This game has piqued my interests for a while now, and considering that the other big name F2P MMO's haven't been that enjoyable for me, this is great news.
It also allows me to save some money for either TOR or DC Universe.

TheJoojo

Apr 28, 2009
This is quite similiar to City of Heroes, is it not? I liked CoH. I'll probably check it out.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, as I'm on a strict diet of free stuff right now and I already got bored of the "free grinding stuff" of LOTRO and I haven't played any single "super hero" MMO yet, and DCUO has monthly fees, then I can't wait to give this one a shot and see if it becomes my new MMO while Guild Wars 2 comes out.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
I'd forgotten about this game, glad to see it's joining the F2P realm. Now, unless some heartless programmer has preemptively dashed my dreams of creating a Deadpool clone, I'll be giving it some time.

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
For the last time, When a game goes "Free to play" you aren't playing the game, your playing like 1/6 of it, Then, They start that micro transaction shit, And you end up paying more than you would if you just shelled out $14.95 a month.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Voxgizer said:
I'd forgotten about this game, glad to see it's joining the F2P realm. Now, unless some heartless programmer has preemptively dashed my dreams of creating a Deadpool clone, I'll be giving it some time.
Dear god NO! There's already far too many Deadpool clones running around as it is!!

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
RejjeN said:
Voxgizer said:
Dear god NO! There's already far too many Deadpool clones running around as it is!!
D'oh, I guess my love for the mouthy little bastard will have to be shown elsewhere. I might try that "originality" thing, but it doesn't seem to be in season. Ever.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I played the game back when it was in beta and thought that it was decent(but not so good as to warrant a subscription) so I'll probably give the free to play incarnation a shot.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Man I remember they had a free long weekend a year or so ago. I ended up playing like six hours a day at least. Now it's free...