Champions Online Goes Free (To Play)

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
kyosai7 said:
How are everyone else's download speeds? I'm getting anything from "pretty decent" to "Dial up is better than this."
Ditto. I've got to believe they're absolutely getting pounded at this point.
Totally, dude. I'm at 15% right now, flucuating between 100kb/s and 0.01 kb/s

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
only if your new to the game, other wise, if you left, you keep right on not playing

the archetype system they have is VASTLY inferior to pretty much every other MMO I've played, and while there's like 8 or 9 AT's there's no choice or freedom in character growth, cept 2 or 3 points, you get what they give you and like it
costume parts that where free before are now locked, which is bullshit

and mind you, this is an MMO the promised 'class free game play and unlimited character choices'
nice to see Cryptic turning into a bunch of LIERS

if it wasn't clear from the above, not only am i not gonna play it, i'm not recomending it, and throwing the disk I BOUGHT away

its a pay to play trying to hide as a free to play, nothing more

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
...I started downloaded at about 11 o'clock this morning and stopped downloading at about 10 something and only made it to 15 percent.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I'm curious whether this is an indication of how poorly the game is doing or that, given the success other F2P models have seen recently, it's just the way of all things MMO and not WoW.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Hmmm I may have to play the game again. to be honest half the reason i played in the first place was the character creator.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
I bought the lifetime subscription for Champions so I'm set. No wif only my PC wasn't an aging monstrosity I could actually play the damned thing....oh well. At least my brother can access my account. <.<

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I going to play it just so I can use the character creator again (I got tons of heroes ideas depending if they got the right costume bits). I annoy that you only get two character slots (I going to keep the one I made from the free weekend) and that the power armour isn't part of the F2P.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Tankichi said:
My comp probably can't run it.
My 4-5 year old middle-range Laptop runs it. A tad laggy, but it plays.

It's a shame I had to open a new account to avoid having to delete my old characters (There's a 2 character limit on silver accounts, so if you have more than that in Gold then it's deletion or downgrade), but I must say it's not looking bad.

Still has the incredible customizing, and the Archetypes are pretty much just classes (major drop in freedom from the Gold-version, but functional), so all-in-all it's great for a free game.

I anticipate LAN-ing this at some point, now that the less subscription-friendly of my friends have the chance.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Tried the trial a long time ago and I wasn't very impressed with the game. The character customization was awesome, but if I recall correctly the controls were horrible.
Won't give it another try though. I'm way to busy with Cataclysm and all my PS3 games. >.<

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I am an unfortunate owner of Life time Sub :p

I am tempted to go back for some fun though, played some DCUO and feel its lacking A LOT in the character creation department.

But CO in the end was just way to generic.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Step 1, Twilight--Download, install and play for free.

I still prefer City of Heroes though. It's just so...simple. I can spend an hour on it and accomplish a good few missions, chat with some digital buddies, and hop off no problem. Champion's Online, with it's inventory and power...booster thing system--it's a great addition...but it just adds a bit of complexity that I haven't gotten used to.

Character creation is groovy though--like how you can put horns and stuff on the beast-heads, unlike CoH. And the body shape designer is brilliant. And some of the emotes are nice...

But CoH is just so wonderfully simple and innocent...but it's also $15 a month...meh.

Lesser of two evils; at least $15 every couple of months for City of Heroes is cheaper than the $1500 it'd cost to be a real super hero, buying blankets for the homeless, stopping drunks from driving home, and paying off the occasional cop or so to entice them not to place you under arrest for wearing fabulous and cunningly revealing tights.

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
downloading it as i speak, looking forward to the creation system but since the last mmo i played was guild wars a few years ago i'm willing to try something new

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
CO is the best Superhero MMO out there in my opinion. Really good amount of Customization (and in a Superhero MMO that counts for a lot

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
Well, what's to lose by testing it eh?

Might as well download. I'll probably get bored and stop playing, but hey it's free.

MikeCSS

Mar 19, 2010
Must admit that I really enjoyed Champs Online
Several level 40s and loved the variety in ability to customize characters

Nothing quite like hitting a bad guy in the face with a tank ;-)

Controls using an XBOX 360 controller are pretty innovative for an MMO and combat is a lot more active than cooldown whack a mole while standing still including need for blocking

Downloading it on my daughter's pc so she and I can play together

Certainly worth a try and as others have said - the character creator itself is awesome
(My kids spent ages just making up character designs)