Chaos Forces in Total War: Warhammer are a Pre-Order Bonus

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Chaos Forces in Total War: Warhammer are a Pre-Order Bonus

Release details for Warhammer Fantasy entry in Total War series include launch date, special editions, and pre-order content.

Sega and Creative Assembly have announced release plans for Total War: Warhammer, which is now set to arrive on PC April 28, 2016.

Players who pre-order will also receive the game's first DLC expansion, Chaos Warriors Pack. The add-on content adds three more Legendary Lords from the Chaos faction, each with their own quest chain, along with new creatures and items. A trailer highlighting the race has been released.

Two special edition packages for Total War: Warhammer are being offered. The more impressive of the two, the High King Edition, comes with a collection of actually functional stuff. Inside the box is a whetstone pendant, a spinning ring which can double as a D6 in a pinch, a drinking horn, and a canvas map. Rounding out the package is an art book, a metal case for the game, and a printed strategy guide.

[gallery=4915]

The High King edition is being sold for £99.99 through the game's website, but if you're a North American fan the shipping is also going to be a bite. Expect to pay an additional $45 getting it to the continent.

The second, simpler Limited Edition includes just the metal case and the strategy guide and will be available at participating retailers.

Source: Official Site [http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_Warhammer_Editions_FAQ]

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
If I understand the wording correctly, the pre-order bonus is Chaos units, not the entire Chaos playable race. Still shitty, but at least a little better.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
And the death by a thousand pennies has already started, fuck this. If their not offering a full, and functional, game in the product their selling but rather once again try to sell the game and then make you pay 3-4 times its cost in DLC before you have the full product then their not getting a penny. CA make me sick and its utterly depressing to see the company that made Rome 1 and Medieval 1&2 become this abomination.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Isn't that kinda' like having Bolters or Chaos Marines as DLC for 40k game?
Like...they're a central premise to the franchise!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
No no no no no CA, wtf you doing man! You fucking it up!

My friends circle has been surprisingly unenthusiastic about this game exactly because they expected this kind of BS and would rather not get burnt any more. Heck as someone who bought Rome 2 for full price at launch, I should probably know better myself but I'm just too big of a warhammer fanboy.

Still if I read it right, it's not any chaos units, just "three legendary lords", whatever that means. Kind of a misnomer to name it the "chaos warriors " DLC!

But seriously CA, get game right first, then worry about DLCs and expansions, warhammer has plenty of room for those down the line.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
CA really has fallen rather far. The DLC/Preorder mess really has gotten out of hand in their games.

NinjaTank56

Jan 14, 2015
Just to clarify, the Chaos Warriors faction will not be playable if you don't pre-order/buy the dlc after launch. They will still be present as an NPC faction if you don't.

And despite this, Warhammer and Total War and some of my 2 favorite things so assuming I have a decent PC in April, I'm still going to pre-order...
Atleast steam refunds exist if its awful...

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow, i just looked at the steam community board of this game and i am truly baffeled. Apparently Total War fans not only don't mind the shady business practices from CA but somehow seem to like them.
There are tons of people there actually complaining how the evil cheap videogamers won't stop bullying poor, defenseless CA. It's truly saddening and even after Rome 2 those defenders actually seem to be in the majourity on that forum.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
The most important and popular faction in the game, turned into day 1 DLC.

What, were the freaking Beast Races too important!?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Oh piss right off...

THE force of the warhammer fantasy world is bloody DLC?

And i bet it will be totaly overprized too. Blasted cheapskates.

Instead we get undead... yeah that makes sense...

But who am i kidding.. atleast chaos im gonna get. Wonder if angry joe is going to rant about it since he seems super excited about the game.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
Amaror said:
Wow, i just looked at the steam community board of this game and i am truly baffeled. Apparently Total War fans not only don't mind the shady business practices from CA but somehow seem to like them.
There are tons of people there actually complaining how the evil cheap videogamers won't stop bullying poor, defenseless CA. It's truly saddening and even after Rome 2 those defenders actually seem to be in the majourity on that forum.
Total war fans very much minf, the real fans whos been with the game are all in varying degrees upset and pissed of imo. Its the newer CoD crowd that theyve been attracting the last few games as the franchices been growing that dont mind, the people who have no appreciation for what the game used to be and just want pretty effects and arcady gameplay.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
chikusho said:
If I understand the wording correctly, the pre-order bonus is Chaos units, not the entire Chaos playable race. Still shitty, but at least a little better.
Reports are that the game ships with four core factions: Dwarfs, Orks, Empire and Undead. Chaos is a fifth race only available through this DLC.

GrumpyPirate said:
Amaror said:
Total war fans very much minf, the real fans whos been with the game are all in varying degrees upset and pissed of imo. Its the newer CoD crowd that theyve been attracting the last few games as the franchices been growing that dont mind, the people who have no appreciation for what the game used to be and just want pretty effects and arcady gameplay.
Have to agree with this. Personally I started in the Total War franchise with Medieval so I'm only one game short of having been with them from the start and frankly I'm monumentally hacked off about this whole thing. And I'm someone who forgave quite a few of the missteps they took with Rome 2.

Its truly unacceptable to rip factions out of the game like that to ship as DLC and preorder bonuses.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
Lightspeaker said:
Sad thing is this has been coming for a while, starting with the bland units of Empire where they DLC'ed anything of interest. Shogun 2 was the first with extremely limited factions and DLCing the rest and Rome 2 just carried that on. Dont even get me started on the shortcomings of Rome2 in all other aspects, i am well and truly disgusted with what has happened to one of my favorite franchises. To this day im still playing medieval 2, mainly cause everything past that are lackluster even though the real decline first started with shogun 2.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I imagine that being told that you have AIDS is going to be better recieved than this information.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The fact they're hiding Chaos, a faction that was shown in the reveal trailer, is locked behind a pre-order/slash paywall is absurd and is purely for greed sake. My excitement that Chaos is playable and the date I could buy the game was quickly smashed to bits when they announced how you had to get them.

Since I'm on a phone and can't quote easily, all above thinking they aren't faction. CA has announced they are a faction. With units, heroes, spells, and specific play style.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
As the German saying goes; I think they have their asses open.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Business as usual. You can't attach a Games Workshop title to anything and ever expect it to be reasonably priced.