Characters dying at the end of books.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
CounterAttack said:
Hubilub said:
Depends if the book is good or not. I read a book (Which I can't say the name of, because that would spoil the entire fucking thing) that did it, and it was really, really good.
I read one like that as well. Did the same thing, and it fit perfectly with how I imagined it to end. I still got a shock then they were killed, though.

Maybe we read the same book...
The title of my book starts with 19, and ends with 84.

alexdulcianu

Apr 7, 2010
Yeah well, I was trying to avoid a spoiler by making a subtle reference to the main character of the book. Also, I was doing it to check if it's the same Winston I had in mind.

Just to make things clear, I was referring to Winston being afraid of rats.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
The one book i remeber reading where the character dies at the end is
Fogjuice - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
. The characters death really made the book make more sense and gave the reader a kind of saddened, yet humorous approach to the conclusion of the book.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Sometimes yes, other times, NO NO NO!

I'm sorry, but one book that did this, and did this absolutely horribly, was Star Wars Republic Commando Order 66. Essentially...

The story ended with the Jedi wife of one of the Commandos dieing in one of the stupidest ways ever. Order 66 is called, and she protects the life of a Clone Trooper about to be killed by a Jedi, by JUMPING IN FRONT OF THE LIGHTSABER TWENTY FEET AWAY FROM ETERNAL PEACE AND HAPPINESS. Instead of simply walking into the parked transport and escaping to live with her husband and CHILD in peace, she gets herself killed in the stupidest way possible. The writer just went, 'Hey, this is going to end on a note of optimism and happiness, where the characters have finally come out on top after a long struggle... I HAVE TO FIX THIS FOR THE SAKE OF DRAMA AND DARKNESS!'. It's absolutely retarded and has tainted the series since.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Randomly killing the protagonist can make the entire story seem meaningless. There's nothing wrong with a happy ending. On the other hand, sometimes protagonist murder can be appropriate. It depends on the story.

Subverting a happy ending by randomly dropping a fridge on the glorious victor is a cheap shot and really annoying.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
That reminds of a movie that has a spoiler in the title I would write the name but I don't know how to put a spoiler tag.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
I think that an author needs to stay consistent. If the characters they create are part of a swashbuckling Hollywood-style adventure, then it often doesn't make sense for them to die. That's what "redshirts" are for anyway.

However, if they establish a darker narrative where the characters themselves realise that they face possible death, then it can be an effective plot device that really drives the whole book home. It can also be used as the literary equivelent of a shock tactic.

But when the author throws in random deaths just to give the book a more 'serious' tone, then it breaks immersion and generally just ruins the whole damn thing.
Like in The Deathly Hallows, where half of the characters from throughout the entire series died. I mean, just a few would have been enough to drive the point home, but too many deaths and the readers stops caring.

I generally like darker stories, so I like to see well-orchestrated character deaths.

:p

painfull2006

Jul 2, 2008
man.... you should read the Horus Heresy, so many of the main characters die :p

in this case, yes I think the books are better because some of the main characters die

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Kaleion said:
That reminds of a movie that has a spoiler in the title I would write the name but I don't know how to put a spoiler tag.
Just put "[xpoiler]" before the text you want tagged, and put "[/xpoiler]" after it, using the letter "s" instead of "x".
(I had to do that, otherwise it would have tagged half my post as a spoiler)

: |

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
It depends how it is done and why it was done and how it relates and how things are managed later on because of it. It always has you feeling sad or shocked, but in the end, no matter if you predicted it or not, it should make sense.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
shwnbob said:
I've noticed that most books end with a happy ending and I've got to ask this: If the main character died at the end would the book be better? Hear me out. Let's say your reading a book and you grow really attached to the character and you want them to leave happy. Then at the end they win or don't win, I don't know, and then they die. I honestly think that would make the book better because it makes the book dramatic, sad and plus it's a twist ending. So what do you all think? Killing off people in books, awesome or not?

You need to read "Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy" by Steven Savile. That series goes through protagonists like a hot knife through butter and it's awesome.

I've read a few books where a character's death is not only defining of the book, but the series and world setting from that point on (for example, Sturm's death in the Dragonlance books).

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
It can be very good, it can also be really bad. Depends how it's done.

For example,
at least (I'm sleepy) one Iain M Banks novel has the protagonist die at the end, and it wouldn't work any other way imo.
In the film Legend, there are two different endings. One where he dies and one where he survives. It completely changes the film from awesome (dies) to mediocre (survives).

A bad example is as follows,
In the latest Lee Child Jack Reacher novel the book is left on a cliff hanger with the reader not knowing whether he's dead or alive. This is bad. I also think the news was spread before people had read the book so everyone knew it was going to happen. Also, the book includes, for the first time in the series, a "to be continued" page at the back. Marketing ploy or what? I mean, I want to know what happened, and anyone who's read that far in the series does too, but effectively telling me to buy the next book makes me want to not do so.

alexdulcianu

Apr 7, 2010
Hubilub said:
maninahat said:
Hubilub said:
alexdulcianu said:
No, it's

Winston dies at the end
Rats?
Sorry, but I don't understand your comment. What do you mean by "rats"?
1984 reference. I demand a cookie.
But the rats had nothing to do with Wilson's death. The comment doesn't make sense!

Unless they shot him with a rat-bullet
Who's this Wilson now? And of course he didn't die because of rats but if you read the book(like, reading every page of it ok?), the rats would surely remind you of him no matter what.
They were what Winston feared the most

Mr. Tibbles

Jun 9, 2009
Read the book called Swan Song, and dont forget to wear the stupid helmet because that book will blow your mind!

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
alexdulcianu said:
Hubilub said:
maninahat said:
Hubilub said:
alexdulcianu said:
No, it's

Winston dies at the end
Rats?
Sorry, but I don't understand your comment. What do you mean by "rats"?
1984 reference. I demand a cookie.
But the rats had nothing to do with Wilson's death. The comment doesn't make sense!

Unless they shot him with a rat-bullet
Who's this Wilson now? And of course he didn't die because of rats but if you read the book(like, reading every page of it ok?), the rats would surely remind you of him no matter what.
They were what Winston feared the most
Damn it, I'm too tired to even remember names. I need some coffee, and a ham-sandwich.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Hubilub said:
anthony87 said:
Hubilub said:
Depends if the book is good or not. I read a book (Which I can't say the name of, because that would spoil the entire fucking thing) that did it, and it was really, really good.
Is it
John Dies At The End?
No, it's

Winston dies at the end
It's

1984 isn't it? I love that book, just recently read it.

I only like when characters die when it makes sense for them to be killed, when it has major bearing on the plot, rather than just to get a cheap 'twist'.

EDIT: Damn ninjas.