Characters that would fill you with glee if they died?

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
What characters in games (or shows/movies/books for that matter, just stories in general) do you dislike in such a way that, if they met an untimely demise, you would just burst into laughter or grin from ear to ear?

My number one is Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. I don't even follow the show (my wife watches it), but damn is she isn't just the most despicable woman I've ever seen in fiction. I get that she's SUPPOSED to be that way, but that doesn't change the fact that if she died, especially if she were mercilessly backstabbed, I would burst into a fit of Joker-like laughter.

My number two would be Pokey from Earthbound. Seriously, screw that guy.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Rosh Penin, Carth Onasi, and Kaiden. Oh wait they all can die :D

But of those that can't... Reaver from Fable. God damn I wanted to kill him evem before his kill stealing moment.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
All the children characters that are meant to annoy the viewer, player, or reader. If they would just die, would be great. If you haven't guessed I don't like children much. Especially when their entire character is just annoying. Think the children in Skyrim for comparison and since I'm not one of those PC elitist and a console guy I can't my game to kill the f***ers.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Lymle from Star Ocean.

"'kay?"

"'kay?"

"'kay?"

She sounds like a stoner and she won't shut up.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Corporal Whitcomb from Catch-22. He's such a petty, passive-aggressive douchebag. He's not even funny or slightly endearing like some of the other antagonists are.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Oh God, Final Fantasy, you always provide. But there is one abomination far worse than any other.
This fucker right here ^^
Honestly, I don't understand, it's like they're really committed to making the most awful character in the history of fiction. He just keeps on getting WORSE.

Then there's the protagonist from possibly the worst anime I've ever seen. To my immense satisfaction, he actually DID die. One of the best scenes ever. The payoff was almost worth the pain. Almost. Fuck you School Days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmltlmSX53Y

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Do indie games count? Because I'd be jumping for joy if Balloon Boy in Five Nights at Freddy's exploded.

Ladylotus

Nov 1, 2014
"Hey! LISTEN!"

If you didn't get the reference (HOW?!?!?!) it's Navi from Legend of Zelda, OoT.

Oh, and if not her then Peter Griffon from Family Guy.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Fox12 said:
Oh God, Final Fantasy, you always provide. But there is one abomination far worse than any other.
This fucker right here ^^
Honestly, I don't understand, it's like they're really committed to making the most awful character in the history of fiction. He just keeps on getting WORSE.

Then there's the protagonist from possibly the worst anime I've ever seen. To my immense satisfaction, he actually DID die. One of the best scenes ever. The payoff was almost worth the pain. Almost. Fuck you School Days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmltlmSX53Y
Really I feel sorry for Makoto, he's obviously more of a plot device than an actual character past at least the halfway point. It's not his fault the writing was so ham-fistedly terrible. Makoto from the beginning had no reason to start all that cheating business to start with. Break up with whatsherface, wait a week for it to blow over, go out with Seikai job done.

I can only see School Days as a (badly) attempted deconstruction of the harem genre (yes, i'm one of those) but it was written as though the anti-harem message was the entire point of the anime, which it probably is to be fair since everybody only remembers the ending but the message was pushed so hard the characters, mainly Makoto were used as tools to show off that message rather than craft a convincing narrative with believable characters.

TL;DR School Days wanted to push an... interesting(?) deconstruction and subversion of the harem genre but the message overshadowed the plot and characters until nothing made sense. Then Seikai got her murder on and it was the best ending in years.

OT: Suzaku from Code Geass. Fuck you. I can sort of understand his reasoning up until Episode 5 but when he refuses to join up with Zero after all the proof that the current system is beyond repair, he's like "nah gonna go get myself beat up again because i'm into that kind of thing" only saved from execution by Zero's public confession of murder. What's worse Suzaku is REPEATEDLY shown to be utterly incompetent at making good choices when it matters, has suicidal tendencies and constantly contradicts himself, takes the moral high ground against Zero's violent actions while having no self-awareness that his power is also built upon a pile of corpses.

Fuck it, at least Zero has a plan. Yes Lelouch has struggles with his motivations and actions as a mass murdering terrorist/leader of an army but he gets over them quickly and gets shit done. Suzaku only has some vague goal and he'd ignore any questions of "so how exactly are you going to fix this again?"

R2 is so much worse as well...

mistercheese

Apr 20, 2013
Tina from Borderlands 2. She does nothing but annoy you and cry about Roland after the thing with the train, but has somehow been given disproportionate attention in the DLC and pre-sequel. I miss General Knoxx.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Entire Abstergo company from Assassin's creed.

remnant_phoenix said:
What characters in games (or shows/movies/books for that matter, just stories in general) do you dislike in such a way that, if they met an untimely demise, you would just burst into laughter or grin from ear to ear?

My number one is Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. I don't even follow the show (my wife watches it), but damn is she isn't just the most despicable woman I've ever seen in fiction. I get that she's SUPPOSED to be that way, but that doesn't change the fact that if she died, especially if she were mercilessly backstabbed, I would burst into a fit of Joker-like laughter.

My number two would be Pokey from Earthbound. Seriously, screw that guy.
I hope Cersei doesn't die. She is a POV character in the book and her thought process is very entertaining.

Since you mention Game of Thrones, I nominate Ramsay Bolton.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Secondhand Revenant said:
Rosh Penin, Carth Onasi, and Kaiden. Oh wait they all can die :D

But of those that can't... Reaver from Fable. God damn I wanted to kill him evem before his kill stealing moment.
but you can never kill Raphael Sbarge.

(ooh but it turns out that Jason Marsden, the voice of Rosh, also plays Carth's son, and you can kill him!)

And also have to agree with Reaver, and every single unkillable character in Fable 2 and 3, I don't think there are any redeemable ones in the bunch.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Hendrix from the first Red Faction game. I've never wanted to kill an NPC more than that fucking guy. Every time he sets out to "help" you, he fucking screws you over instead. Sure there is a point you *can* kill him, but it only makes you lose the game and thus is not satisfying in any way.
Oh gods I wanted to kill him so bad I spent at least an hour shooting him in the face and reloading the save just to get some minor pleasure of revenge for all the ways he'd fucked me over.... and it didn't matter because he still survived in the end.
Fuck. You. Hendrix.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
I'm only a few hours into Far Cry 4, but already I want Amita and Sabal to die. Let me join Pagan Min, for fucks sake! The dude's got more charisma and is far more entertaining than those two. I always hate rebel or resistance groups in games. I don't want to be allied with the scrappy civilians armed with cobbled-together weapons: I want to join the side with big guns, badass armor, and badass leaders. Originally, there was going to be a whole second storyline for Deus Ex where you side with UNATCO and MJ-12, going to war against the NSF and the Illuminati. I can imagine raiding the Hong Kong club alongside the MJ-12 commandos and doing cool shit like that, or putting down an uprising in Paris alongside some huge mechs. Does anyone know of any games where you're on the side of the bad guys, and stay on their side to the end of the game?

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
EmperorZinyak said:
Does anyone know of any games where you're on the side of the bad guys, and stay on their side to the end of the game?
The 2 Payday games have you in the role of the bad guy, big time. Not much of a story, mind you, but still.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
Really I feel sorry for Makoto, he's obviously more of a plot device than an actual character past at least the halfway point. It's not his fault the writing was so ham-fistedly terrible. Makoto from the beginning had no reason to start all that cheating business to start with. Break up with whatsherface, wait a week for it to blow over, go out with Seikai job done.

I can only see School Days as a (badly) attempted deconstruction of the harem genre (yes, i'm one of those) but it was written as though the anti-harem message was the entire point of the anime, which it probably is to be fair since everybody only remembers the ending but the message was pushed so hard the characters, mainly Makoto were used as tools to show off that message rather than craft a convincing narrative with believable characters.

TL;DR School Days wanted to push an... interesting(?) deconstruction and subversion of the harem genre but the message overshadowed the plot and characters until nothing made sense. Then Seikai got her murder on and it was the best ending in years.
I would say if there is any anti-harem sentiment in the School Days anime, it was added by the animation director. In the pseudo-visual-novel (the original is more of an interactive anime, which is also clunky and buggy as hell) it is a straight up dramatic love triangle situation with 20+ different endings, only 2 of which have one of the heroines go on a rampage like in the anime. It also has a harem ending, multiple endings for side-characters Makoto can also have sex with and a lot more opportunities for Makoto to be a horrible human being.

Also, when I finished the VN, the only character I felt even a tinge of sympathy for was Kotonoha, as she was pretty much toyed with from the beginning, but even she has a number of psycho-***** moments that keep her from being a straight-up tragic character. On the other hand Makoto is just an indecisive, horny asshole who can't keep his dick in his pants for five minutes and Sekai is just straight up one of the dumbest characters in the history of fiction for getting her crush together with another girl and the moping about how unfair life is because her love goes unrequited (a behavior which was defended on some forums as "realistic" because a user knew someone in real life who did something similar... no comment.)

So yeah, instead of Makoto I nominate the entire cast of School Days, but instead of just straight up wanting them dead I would rather like if they never existed and I could get a refund on the fifteen-something hours I wasted on it.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
Grottnikk said:
EmperorZinyak said:
Does anyone know of any games where you're on the side of the bad guys, and stay on their side to the end of the game?
The 2 Payday games have you in the role of the bad guy, big time. Not much of a story, mind you, but still.
I know about the Payday games. I was thinking of more a "soldier in an evil empire" kind of game. I know you can join with Caesar's Legion in the Fallout games, and they're pretty evil bastards, but are there any games where you're always on the force of evil and are allowed to crush the puny rebellion underfoot?