Characters you hate that everyone loves

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Evonisia said:
AccursedTheory said:
You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Stormbird actually is, and what 'It's alright, it's ok' typically means (Hint - It most common uttered small children when their in pain).
I know what the Songbird was, him being her "protector" of sorts and vowing to help her by bringing her food, books and stopping outsiders from getting to her. That's why he does what he does before well, erm, what I said after she orders him to ruin everything.

The whole scene might be a problem with the game's attitude to gore and brutality, but since it was Elizabeth that done it I either think that she's really broken in the head or she actually hated Songbird that much (which isn't really displayed in the game to be honest) to warrant it.
Stormbird was described by the Bioshock team as a kind of 'abusive boyfriend,' at least from Elizabeth's perspective. Which explains her mixed feelings towards the accursed thing. On one hand, its basically her only friend in the world; on the other, its her jailer, the very face of her subjugation. Regardless if its really Comstock that's the villain, Stormbird is the nightmare that's haunted her for her entire life, while at the same time making life even possible.

Killing Stormbird is a ridiculously brutal and painful act for Elizabeth, but ultimately necessity for her to be actually free.

That being said, I don't think Irrational Games advocates you murdering your ex-boyfriends/girlfriends just because they were a bit clingy.

I think.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
AccursedTheory said:
Stormbird was described by the Bioshock team as a kind of 'abusive boyfriend,' at least from Elizabeth's perspective. Which explains her mixed feelings towards the accursed thing. On one hand, its basically her only friend in the world; on the other, its her jailer, the very face of her subjugation. Regardless if its really Comstock that's the villain, Stormbird is the nightmare that's haunted her for her entire life, while at the same time making life even possible.

Killing Stormbird is a ridiculously brutal and painful act for Elizabeth, but ultimately necessity for her to be actually free.

That being said, I don't think Irrational Games advocates you murdering your ex-boyfriends/girlfriends just because they were a bit clingy.

I think.
See that would justify it more (well, slightly more anyway), but in the game itself all Elizabeth seems to say is that as a child she loved him and when she was older she hated him for keeping her trapped, which could symbolise something like getting sick of your partner as time goes on but eh, if it was explained better in game I'd be more sympathetic. Unfortunately this is the impression I'm left with her after playing it, unless I try to pay more attention when I do 1999 mode.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
Deathmageddon said:
Lannisters. Tyrion isn't cool enough to make me like that scumbag family.
but you aren't supposed to like the Lannisters, Tyrion is the only one who is suposed to be vaguely 'good', for a given value of good of course.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Evonisia said:
I despise Elizabeth from BioShock: Infinite, half the time she acts incredibly emotional, being upset and being well characterised. However in gameplay she becomes an arrogant, sadistic and cold woman who gives little to no care for any life except characters with names. This odd and often fast change irritated me and yes, she's well written and I enjoy her voice acting, and the relationship between her and Booker is something I hardly see in gaming (although the "Call me Booker" thing happens far too often) but it mystifies me why everyone loves her.

Oh and there's also one thing that really put me off her,

After the final mission when Songbird is summoned to help and she's letting him destroy everything in his path, the Songbird goes to retrieve Elizabeth so her first reaction is to teleport the three to Rapture and brutally kill him by allowing the pressures of the ocean to crush him. While creative I was incredibly baffled by this, she says she hates Songbird but during that last level the way she exploits and just kills him in such a manner while going "It's alright, it's ok" made me believe that she's a psychotic *****.
It does feel good when you're not the only person on Earth who has this opinion.

Nov 28, 2007
suitepee7 said:
thebobmaster said:
Kanova said:
Any anime and Game of Thrones. James Vega and Ashley.
Where's all the love for Ashley and Vega? I see far more hate for them than even tolerance.

Anyways, I'd have to go with Tywin Lannister. Well, not so much "love", but I see a lot of people pointing out the nice things he does to show that he's not that bad of a guy, but with what he did to Tyrion, and how he continues to treat Tyrion, I have nothing but contempt for him.
people think he does nice things? are you talking from book or tv perspective, because i can understand if from the TV, kind of, but the books make it damn clear that all he does is for power, for himself and the lannister house. nothing he does is out being nice or nasty.

OT: Daenerys Targaryen, because (Dance of Dragons spoilers coming up)

her damn obsession with being the mother just angers me. i get it, you have principles about slaves, but she is given so many opportunities to do something much better, like marry and then leave Hizdahr as king and continue on to westeros, or abandon meereen and marry quentyn martell and have all of dorne behind her, or just become an oppressive ruler with her dragons. but no, she's too nice and kind. plus she seems like such a little girl when she starts having sex with daario. i'm mainly bitter that she really doesn't do... anything in DoD, and it's frustrating to read.
TV series. The book is a lot more clear-cut, but even in the TV series he is nothing but contemptuous towards Tyrion. But people glance over that, because he plays with puppies. At least, that's what it seems like.

Edit:
Giest4life said:
Rick from the Walking Dead
Spiderman
Catelyn Stark (Game of Thrones)
Daenerys (Game of Thrones)

There are more, but these I can spout off the top of my head.

EDIT: You can lump most superheroes in that category. They are all terrible at life.
Myself, my brother-in-law, and my sister all agree with you about Catelyn. I don't think she made a single intelligent choice throughout her entire time in the series that didn't involve the Karstarks.

Forst1999

Mar 29, 2011
HK-47. Hardly any real personality, just "kill meatbags" jokes. And for me, his jokes got old really fast.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
Kratos. I can't fucking stand Kratos from the God of War series.

Kratos is an idealized mad man who kills anyone he comes across if they happen to have something he wants. Or even if they don't. Sometimes they'll be willing to fucking GIVE him an item he needs if he'll help them out, and he'll still just kill them anyway. They try to paint this picture that he is a fallen hero who only became a monster after becoming the Ghost of Sparta, but he was a terrible person when he was serving Ares and he was a war mongering asshole even before that.

In God of War III, the world is slowly being destroyed by his actions and he doesn't seem to care. All that matters to him is his revenge for something that happened specifically to him. The first game is okay because I can at least buy into his back story about how Ares tricked him into killing his family in the hopes that without that attachment, he would become a more hardened warrior, but in the second game, he's just out for revenge against Zeus. Anyone that won't help him gets killed by him.

I guess I hate him most of all because so many people try to convince me that he's a tragic hero and that he does try to save people, but he only really tries to save people if they happen to have tits. If you ask me, Kratos brought all of the suffering he has endured upon himself.

I don't want all of my characters in video games to be shining examples of what it means to be a hero, but Kratos is just so contradictory that I can feel my left eye start to twitch whenever people try to convince me he isn't an asshole.

/rant
This, so much this.
And by the second game, he literally becomes the bad guy of the first game.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Souplex said:
Revnak said:
I always hated Merrill from DA2, mostly because I have a big issue with making deals with soul eating demons. Bioware tried to pull it's normal bull about nice people using bad powers for good, but for some reason when it comes to blood magic I refuse to buy it. Probably because of all the soul devouring demons.
But to be fair, not many people liked Merrill. It's just that the people who did like her wouldn't shut up.
Hmmmm.... I didn't know. I just thought that since I kept seeing people who seemed to love her that she must have been popular.

Blade1130

Sep 25, 2011
Strain42 said:
I wouldn't say I hated Yosuke, but damn is he a dick. He was fine for the first third or so of the game, but once you end up on that camping trip he gets more and more perverted, starting when he gets the girls in bikinis that he bought. They did owe us for letting them sleep in our tent, but that's getting dangerously close to asking for sexual favors (if it isn't already).

Really though, he crossed then line when signing everyone up for that beauty pageant.
Putting all the other girls in it, ok he's just being his stupid self (though the no backing out was retarded, what school does that?). But why the hell would you sign up Naoto? Am I the only one who was bothered by this? I'm less than certain how much the school knows about her, but she did enter the school as a guy. She wears the guy's uniform the entire game! Presenting her as a chick to the entire school was totally irresponsible. How much more of a jerk can you get? He deserved their retaliation (though I didn't!).

OT: I really hated Miranda, James, and Ashley from Mass Effect (ME1 Ashley was alright, but ME3...). Side note, I really liked Samantha Traynor, but of course she turns out to be the lesbian!

I don't think there's much love for either, but I hate Connor and Desmond from Assassin's Creed. Connor is such an asshole and I think Yahtzee put it best with Desmond. "He's like a mopey teenager being dragged around a museum by his parents."

I quite liked Goku in Dragon Ball, in Z he was alright, but in GT I could not stand him. Their attempt to make him a lovable kid again failed so miserably...

Also, Superman is pretty lame, just not interesting (have not seen Man of Steel yet).

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
The Freeman, or Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life series.
The blank, untalking idiot, that apparently everyone on the planet know about and worships him as a hero.
Really any character who is supposed to be "you" (i.e the player) in video games just never works.
Master Chief is another one but at least he got more character and back story as the games went on.

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
DoctorObviously said:
I actually have another one: Tidus from Final Fantasy X. Actually, EVERYONE from Final Fantasy X.
Wait not everyone was terrible! That little Moogle that the black mage girl carried around with her was great. He would run up to any monster, and upper cut them. But everyone else sucked.

Mitsozuka

Dec 6, 2007
The American Military. (And yes, I'm an American.)

I mean for god's sake people, STOP BUYING GAMES ABOUT SOLDIERS SHOOTING PEOPLE!

I don't like playing as Soldiers even in World War 2, with the exception of BJ Blaskowicz in Wolfenstein 3D. This goes for Space Marine types as well.

Anybody working for a military, working for a government owned by private corporations and rich, greedy resource-hogs, can not be portrayed as anything other than tragically misguided AT BEST. Even back in the Deuce, things were a hell of a lot more fucked up under the surface than history would have us believe. Sure, we were attacked, and threatened, but going to war made a lot of influential people REALLY freaking wealthy, so it stands to be asked who really wanted us to fight.

Anyway, mini-rant over, I am just really freaking sick of playing another cardboard cutout soldier.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
DoctorObviously said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
I perfectly understand what you mean but I think we shouldn't see Kratos as a hero, fallen hero or even anti-hero. He was a bit of an asshole before the events of God of War 1, but I think Kratos is a shining example of a very aggressive (with a lean towards being a boss in a different game) man who became a god and then went absolutely totally fucking insane. His antics are the events you personally play in the (too many) games.

To be honest? I really like it. I hate the opinion that people have on Spec Ops: The Line: "If you like that game, you're a bad person." which is such an amazingly giant pile of bullshit. I play games to be entertained first, and experience a fictional world and storyline second. I don't mind my characters being antagonistic. I'm up for change.
Oh no, don't get me wrong - I love the God of War games. I'm really into mythology (and different takes on it) and the game play is fantastic, since it's pretty much what every other action game out there strives to be. I don't think that anyone that likes God of War (or Spec Ops: The Line, for that matter) is a bad person. The difference between the two protagonists is the writing. We're there for Walker's descent into madness, but Kratos is a bad egg from the start. Even if I think his desire for revenge is pretty legit in the first game, I still think he brought it upon himself with all of the terrible things he did.

I don't mind an antagonistic character myself, I just feel like Kratos is too one-dimensional because he never really seems to have a character arc like Walker did and every person I have talked with about the God of War series has tried to come at it from the perspective that Kratos is some kind of tragic character. I just don't see it like that. Like I said, love the game and it's setting, just don't like Kratos.

Plus, it's also just not for me. I could write an entire post about my preferences for playing good vs evil characters, but that's another thread in and of itself. =)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Johanthemonster666 said:
Brian Kinney from 'Queer as Folk' (US version)- This one baffles me because because everyone I've talked to seems to adore him. He's the embodiment of everything gay men supposedly aspire to be but didn't make his personality very likeable til later in the series. I just didn't see the appeal and I'm not exactly a shinning example of monogamy or marriage material.
It took me years, but I finally found someone who agrees with me. I feel a celebration should be in order.

vv85 said:
Deadpool
Wolverine
Superman
Batman

Fuck em all. I'd rather my superheros have some flaws.
Lack of character is a flaw. >.>

I don't like any of them but Batman, and I sometimes get annoyed by Batman because of the fanbase. And the fact that so many comic writers basically write glorified fanfic about how awesome he is.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Mario. What's to love? He's a stereotypical Italian with as much depth as thimble. I get that Story isn't exactly Nintendo's forte, but I don't fathom how people can adore what is basically a man in overalls who's landed on his head one to many times.

Frankly this could extend out to a lot of Nintendo properties.