Charlie Booker to Jon Snow on videos games as a medium

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
What happened in this is exactly why I hate both arguing in real life and watching people argue on tv, nobody ever fucking listens! It's a pure shouting match in which one person ferociously attacks the other and the other tries to explain but is constantly interrupted. If everyone did 2 simple things the world would be a much better place, listen more and be open minded.

Brooker must have finished about 2 sentences in the whole 14 minutes.

Lastly, talk about a broad range of game, of course showing games off on ps4 is hard 'cos of the lack of them. PS3 would have been good, though I think just showing game play from a selection of games would have better.... Would have eliminated the whole dog controlling a helicopter thing

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
The Plunk said:
This makes me wonder whether or not Jeremy Paxman would be more open to video games. Surely anyone that's capable of understanding Russel Brand's faux-anarchist nonsense would have to be quite open minded.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/charlie-brooker-videogames-changed-the-world/4od

Get thyself watching!
Aha thanks just finished watching it. I've said this before and I'll say it again but he's an annoying prick, thank god he's not in it a huge amount.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Well, to be fair... Is Jon Snow's perception of the medium of any real importance? He's well past the age when some people just stops learning new things. His opinion on a relatively new medium carries about as much importance as the opinion of my cat.

It's just not his sphere. He's probably lovely in person, but he drew his circles years ago, and he can't upset ours, so to speak. Things are better off steady as they go.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
blackrave said:
Am I only one who is convinced that if you want someone to get into gaming someone a bit older you give them something with clear enough controls and preferably turn-based
Hell, lets take latest X-Com as an example
99% of controls can be done with mouse only (well, you can use hotkeys, but you don't have to)
Battles are turn-based so it doesn't force you into taking reflex decisions
Everything gets precise description, so if you pay attention you know what does what
And at higher difficulty it is quite intellectually demanding
And you don't need ununpentium powered/nitrogen cooled rig to run the game

You know what? Someone should send copy of X-Com to Jon Snow
Did you seriously just use X-com as an example of a simplistic video game?

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
Not exactly the best way to represent an entire medium with a COD game and a Lego game. Why exactly do we need Jon Snow to tell us whether or not we can like games? He clearly doesn't want to play games and that's that, they aren't his thing. You all know that one day, we'll be saying the same thing about whatever it is our children do, so don't be saying that the older generation should "hurry up and die", because the younger generation will be saying that about us all one day.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
DaWaffledude said:
blackrave said:
Am I only one who is convinced that if you want someone to get into gaming someone a bit older you give them something with clear enough controls and preferably turn-based
Hell, lets take latest X-Com as an example
99% of controls can be done with mouse only (well, you can use hotkeys, but you don't have to)
Battles are turn-based so it doesn't force you into taking reflex decisions
Everything gets precise description, so if you pay attention you know what does what
And at higher difficulty it is quite intellectually demanding
And you don't need ununpentium powered/nitrogen cooled rig to run the game

You know what? Someone should send copy of X-Com to Jon Snow
Did you seriously just use X-com as an example of a simplistic video game?
Yes, why not?
X-Com isn't primitive or easy to master game, no
But it is really easy to get in and enjoy it
Besides the storyline is quite simple and easy to understand for any older person
Any person who is interested in science-fiction have read "The war of the worlds" at least once (If not you should feel ashamed of yourself- for fuck's sake it was written 100+ years ago)
And it's addictive as meth (how often after "just one more mission" I realized it is already morning)
If any game could sway Jon Snow towards computer games it would be X-Com

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
snappydog said:
It's a real shame that Snow kept all but shouting Brooker down - Brooker says at the end of the video that he feels he hasn't been given adequate opportunity to defend games and I totally agree. All his points were met with 'that's not true' or something equally insubstantial but determined. It's a shame but there are some people who won't ever change their minds.
That's what annoyed me through the whole video. The older fella just didn't seem to want to listen at all the moment the younger one was trying to tell him things that went against his misconceptions about something he admits to knowing nothing about.

That's the worst part of it, to me. When trying to explain to someone with no knowledge of it, yet they seem to think they do know things, like how "No women play these things." when it's simply not true.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
"What is the point of it? What am I meant to get out of it?"

You mean... what is the point in the entertainment media industry as a whole? You can ask that exact same question to any fan of films, music, tv, theater, literature and the exact same answer could be given as a response. The burning question Brooker didn't ask Snow was "What, in your opinion, is the point of films?" and frame the argument around that.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Ohhhhhh charlie, one day you'll be mine my love.....ehhhhhh.. hi, ignore that.

man, Snow is just set on portraying video games as serial killer production lines, i am pretty sure that if they had sent in somebody other than Brooker then he wouldn't even have given it a chance. They seem to have something of a mutual respect for each other.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Sleekit said:
hey, guys lay off Jon Snow a bit eh ?.
he may be grey and a noob but he's actually a good guy.
C4 news is often the second best politician roast on the mainstream telly after Newsnight with Paxo.
I think the fact they expected better of Jon snow is the reason so many people are a bit cheesed off at his disinterested behavior. It seriously reminded me of Bill Grundy's passive aggressive behavior during the infamous Sex Pistols interview. Charlie Booker is simply explaining a social phenomenon Mr. Snow. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean there isn't something there to understand.

Anyway I feel Jon Snow deserves whatever rancor comes his way as he acted like a completely effete snooty old tweedy tosspot.

Apr 17, 2009
Okay, I have nothing bad to say against Snow but Christ alive was he actively trying to be ignorant? He picks on a goddamn Lego game as being violent when Brooker was playing CoD moments before, won't let poor old Charlie get a word in edgewise to actually provide his side of the argument and feels he's qualified to judge something he freely admits he's never partaken of and doesn't understand. That would be like me barging into his news studio and just loudly shouting "Bad stuff is happening in the world!" over and over
Stick to stuff you can actually do Snow...

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
I feel like this was every conversation I have ever had with my wife to try and get her into gaming - she simpyl cannot see the value or simply think of it as another form of entertainment. Somehow mindlessly consuming a TV show or movie is considered a worthy use of time, but playing through the interactive experience of a game, making decisions that affect outcomes is a waste of time to her.