Chauvin Found Guilty of All Charges

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Apologies, but as the story is still breaking fully, the best I can do is a "live updates" article.

So, in the death of George Floyd, Derek Chauvin was found guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.

The maximum sentence for the second-degree charge is 40 years, while the third-degree murder charge could get him 25 years, and the manslaughter charge another 10 years or $20,000 fine. In other words, he is facing up to 75 years in prison.

Edit: I've been informed that the powers that be decided against consecutive sentencing (apparently due to legal stuff), so 40 years is his maximum penalty.

Last edited:

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Good fucking news for once.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That's surprising. I can see some counts but all. Interesting.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So, in the death of George Floyd, Derek Chauvin was found guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.
I would love to know how a justice system makes sense of convicting a guy on three homicide charges for committing only one homicide.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't know if this was televised everywhere else (I'm in Minnesota so for obvious reason this is kind of a big deal) but watching the verdict being read and watching the celebration in the street to it was just super.

It's also indirectly nice because we all know that if they would have let him skate from the charges, this place might have torn itself in half from protesting.

Eight weeks to find out what his exact punishment will be but with all three counts being GUILTY and a lot of the extenuating reasons for why it will be a harsher sentence (cop so a power role, children all over the place that witnessed it, etc), there's a decent chance that Chauvin will never be a free man again...

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I would love to know how a justice system makes sense of convicting a guy on three homicide charges for committing only one homicide.
Different burdens of proof/requirements for each count.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I was expecting him to be convicted on manslaughter. Thought the other two were tossups leaning towards guilty on at least one.

"The Curb Your Enthusiasm Theme": the picture.
I'm getting more a "sad trombone noises" vibe from that picture

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I look forward to Tucker Carlson declaring that he was some "sacrificial lamb on the altar of the left's agenda to destroy america. To appease the savage hordes prepared to riot in the streets."

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Different burdens of proof/requirements for each count.
Uh-huh. I guess that kind of makes sense, assuming the strongest invalidates (or renders moot) the weaker two.

In my country, however, the prosecution just pick the strongest that they think they'll get a conviction on.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I am pretty poor at recognising expressions just from the eyes, but that seems to me to be perplexed with a side-order of irritation. Like someone's just found a dead emu on their lawn and they're wondering how the hell it got there and how annoying it's going to be to clear it up.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
That's surprising. I can see some counts but all. Interesting.
I was expecting only one of the homicide counts to go through. Mostly because only one homicide occurred, and which one to be found guilty to depend on how the jury interpreted the evidence.

This.

It's also indirectly nice because we all know that if they would have let him skate from the charges, this place might have torn itself in half from protesting.
I mean, either he was going to be found guilty, or we were going to have more "peaceful protests" leading to massive property damage and possibly some deaths (likely starting with the defendant). He's probably better off being found guilty.

To appease the savage hordes prepared to riot in the streets."
What do you think would be happening in Minneapolis starting tonight and ongoing for at least a week had he been found not guilty?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chauvin deserves this verdict b/c he obviously killed Floyd and there is clear evidence of it but I doubt he would have gotten a second degree guilty charge if this wasn't such a media trial. I wonder how many police walked free in exact similar cases. Whatever way the wind blows I guess.

Reactions: Gergar12

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
In my country, however, the prosecution just pick the strongest that they think they'll get a conviction on.
That seems worse, actually; if they get off the stronger charge, but would've been found guilty on a lesser charge, then the defendant gets off even if the jury believes beyond reasonable doubt that they did it.