Cheating in Rainbow Six Siege, Even Once, to Result in Permabans

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Cheating in Rainbow Six Siege, Even Once, to Result in Permabans

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/957/957756.jpg

Ubisoft is pulling no punches with cheaters and hackers.

Ubisoft announced today that it is implementing a zero-tolerance policy for cheaters and hackers in Rainbow Six Siege, with first time offenders receiving a permanent ban.

"Today we are introducing a permanent ban on first offense for cheating or hacking in Rainbow Six Siege," a post on the Rainbow Six Siege website reads [http://rainbow6.ubi.com/siege/en-US/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-253722-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32]. "The presence of cheating in the game is something we take very seriously, and is a priority on the development team. This update is one step among many that we are working on to better engage with the community on this issue."

Per the post, here's what could land you a permanent ban:

"Cheating/Modding/Hacking: Player is running a modified or otherwise unauthorized version of the game client or a third party software which provides any sort of unfair advantage (wallhacks, aimhacks...) or causing detriment to other players' experience: Maximum penalty is permanent ban on first offense."
Ubisoft claims it is working to identify players coordinating with team members for information and legitimate occurrences of cheating and hacking. In addition, Ubisoft is "assessing and testing several client-side anti-cheat options in addition to FairFight" that will be implemented in the future, with more information coming.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
On one hand, fuck cheaters with a carbon rod. On the other hand, its really creepy that a company can just take away a game that you bought now.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Yes, because instead of making it at all difficult to cheat in the game, they instead will ban people... with zero recourse... being a company known to make extremely buggy software.

Also having very fucking nebulous definitions there. "unathorized version of the game client"; "detriment to other players' experience".

While their previous games have been rife with cheaters... and had absolutely zero mitigations against it. Preferring to ramble on about zero-tolerance policies and "commitment" to the issue while not committing any resources toward fixing or even mitigating the problem.

Ubithoff!

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Worgen said:
On one hand, fuck cheaters with a carbon rod. On the other hand, its really creepy that a company can just take away a game that you bought now.
When you install a game, you accept the EULA. Games with online play will usually have a section regarding cheating/using 3rd party programs. Didn't read them? That's your problem. At least Ubisoft are making it clear here, the consequences of cheating. As long as there is a reasonable appeal system for those who will inevitably be unjustly targeted, then there should be no problem.

Fuck cheaters with a carbon rod.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
DeepComet5581 said:
Worgen said:
When you install a game, you accept the EULA. Games with online play will usually have a section regarding cheating/using 3rd party programs. Didn't read them? That's your problem. At least Ubisoft are making it clear here, the consequences of cheating. As long as there is a reasonable appeal system for those who will inevitably be unjustly targeted, then there should be no problem.

I'm just sure we will soon see a game banning people for posting things the dev doesn't like in a forum. Really I wouldn't be surprised if some of the crapware on steam has tried pulling that.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Given that this is Ubisoft, half of people banned will be people suffering from Ubisoft bugs instead of cheating.

DeepComet5581 said:

EULA is never an argument. its not a legally binding agreement and even if it were it would not be able to override legal laws that state you own the game you purchased. They can refuse to provide services, and in multiplayer only games thats basically all there is thanks to murder of private servers, but thats about all Ubisoft can do, legally.

No, fuck developers that use netcode whitch makes it so easy to cheat instead.

SweetLemonTea

Dec 18, 2012
Its great I swear I keep getting players that are too good to even be human every 10 games or so. So yeah fuck cheaters im glad ubi is doing htis

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Worgen said:
Welcome to online gaming. I think what they're legally taking away is your right to use their servers to play the game you bought. Single player should remain playable imo, idk what the case is with this game though.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I still don't see how this is such a wild new revelation for people. Developers/publishers have always had the capability of doing this. People seem unaware of the fact that people have been getting banned from MMOs for years.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
kaizen2468 said:
Worgen said:
Welcome to online gaming. I think what they're legally taking away is your right to use their servers to play the game you bought. Single player should remain playable imo, idk what the case is with this game though.
I think its online only. So take that as you will. Blizzard is doing something worse I think, I think they might actually be banning blizzard accounts for cheating in overwatch. Im not sure if that means all your blizzard games are essentially removed too. Like banned from wow and multi starcraft or something.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Worgen said:
kaizen2468 said:
Worgen said:
I think its online only. So take that as you will. Blizzard is doing something worse I think, I think they might actually be banning blizzard accounts for cheating in overwatch. Im not sure if that means all your blizzard games are essentially removed too. Like banned from wow and multi starcraft or something.
For the record, unless there's new information I haven't seen yet, that's not actually confirmed. Someone who apparently only played Overwatch in the first place assumed that his entire Battle.net account was banned for cheating because of some slightly-vague wording in the e-mail he got. That then got picked up in the news articles that reported on this, and now it's being sent around as hard fact that being banned from Overwatch for cheating gets your entire Battle.net account suspended.

(I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard banned entire accounts, I just haven't been able to find anything that actually confirmed it.)

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
stopped playing this course none of my friends have it, but ive looked at its reddit page once in a while. People are saying the hackers are really rampant and killing the game, so i think its good.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Worgen said:
I'm just sure we will soon see a game banning people for posting things the dev doesn't like in a forum. Really I wouldn't be surprised if some of the crapware on steam has tried pulling that.
EA already went there with Battlefield years ago, tying people's forum and Origin/EA accounts so that forum bans resulted in account wide bans. Bearing in mind EA will ban players from it's forums for pointing out bugs or (not kidding now) filing reports of abuse that they suffered from other forum users.

The backlash was so hard they gave up on the policy quite quickly.

Ubisoft is so bad at detecting hackers I doubt this change in policy is going to to have any real effect, it's just another Ubisoft doing what they think will make them popular thing.

Apr 5, 2008
This is why people shouldn't spend money on online only games that don't offer private servers. Not just this, but turning off support for games, losing access to DLC...all issues now presented by letting publishers control full access. Before, we had shooters with dedicated servers, we could run them and join multiple lobbies. You couldn't ever be locked out of the game. Now, Ubisoft and Blizzard can take your money and turn off your access. It's worse than DRM.