Check Out 12 Minutes of Narrated Dawn of War III Gameplay

novem

Nov 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Concerning the eldar dying in droves, I'd say that's more down to RTS mechanics. Same reason why you can lose multiple Space Marines in a mission and not wipe out the chapter by sheer attrition.
Dawn of War II largely moved beyond this, in multiplayer at least. The retreat system meant that as soon as a squad was close to dying you could hit the retreat button and they would run back to base. While retreating, units took considerably less damage from range attacks and more from melee. This meant that flanking enemies with melee units was devastating and positioning became really important in the battle.

Fighting smart was more important than the number of units you brought to the fight. There were many games where I won games as Eldar where my death count was barely into double digits. I took great pride in keeping my deaths below 30.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Why am I getting a creeping WarCraft 3/Diablo 3 vibe from this? The animation and art style look goofy as fuck. It looks like a Cartoonish parody of 40k, or more accurately like an up-resed IOS port.

Like I've played every single 40k video game ever. All of them, so I like to think I can judge them pretty well, and this game continues to leave a very bad taste on my mouth. And it didn't even buy me dinner.
Butr I thought you like Cartoony and anything grim, dark, bloody, and serious sucks ;)
I know you're trying to be smarmy here, but instead just look like you don't understand nuance and can only see in black and white.

You can like cartoony and still be choosy about where you find it appropriate. Just because someone likes cartoony style it doesn't mean they think /everything/ should have it. They can also not like grimdark and still find it appropriate for something to /have/ a grimdark aesthetic if it fits the setting.

I like cartoony, and like grimdark to an extent(or at least I like 40ks style of Grimdark because it's somewhat selfaware) as long as it doesn't cross the line into being...well stupid and devoid of anything else other than grimdark, even The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen and Daredevil: Man Without Fear had moments of lightheartedness in them and they were the heralds of the age of grimdark for comics. I also like ultra realistic or grounded fiction.

40k isn't something I think a cartoony or stylized artstyle is appropriate for, regardless of its Grimdark being so over the top that it's not really supposed to be taken seriously. 40ks original artstyle isn't cartoony, it's over the top, there's a difference. It's grimdark, but its grimdark in a way that embraces its own OTT and asks everyone to come along for the ride, not to be hardcorez and scowl at kittens, but to just relish in giant men in ludicrous 20 ton suits punching aliens while yelling cheesy soundbites like a child.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Lore question: are the Imperial Knights just giant Mechs with pilots in them, or are they like Dreadnoughts, in that the pilot is basically fused inside the machine itself?

In other words, is Solaria just the the pilot of the Mech, or she IS the Mech?

Aug 31, 2012
Ihateregistering1 said:
Lore question: are the Imperial Knights just giant Mechs with pilots in them, or are they like Dreadnoughts, in that the pilot is basically fused inside the machine itself?

In other words, is Solaria just the the pilot of the Mech, or she IS the Mech?
They are cybernetically linked, but not fused. They can leave it. The mech does have it's own powerful machine spirit though that the pilot kind of bonds with.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
While this is Relic, I have begun to suspect that the devs are not the same ones who worked on the previous games.

The previous games held the fluff as important. DoW2 was very accurate to the feel and world of 40K. You could tell that they really cared and put a lot of effort into make the world believable.

As other have mentioned, the art style is far more Blizzard than 40K. That art style has its place in some games, but quite frankly, I do not want Hello Kitty in my Grimdark.

Currently, it feels like whoever it developing the game never wanted to make a DoW game. They had their own idea for a game and then tried and wrap a 40K skin around it and hope that the name 'Dawn of War' would make it sell.

This isn't a DoW game and this isn't a 40K game. It's something else that has just been squeezed into the 40K world. You can tell by the way they have absolutely no care or feeling for the source material. Terminators can't jump? They don't care. That want to create a Diablo3/Warcraft3 hero. Essentially, it feels like the devs are desperately trying to get noticed by Blizz. Perhaps Blizz pays more money and the Relic devs are hoping to make the transition, which is why they're essentially trying to make their own version of Stracraft. It just looks good on their portfolio when applying for work.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...You know, I know everyone is bitching up a storm about it being 'cartoony' or whatever, but it honestly just looks like a cleaner version of DoW II to me. Like they just took out the grit filter and made the colours neater. Ah well, to each their own.

OT: Groovy, I'm still keen for this and everything they've shown so far is looking good. Still all pre-alpha so literally everything shown could change at any point over the next year and a bit, but ehhh, they haven't fucked up so far. Well, unless you include the multiplayers... yeah. Listen, I've got a lot of faith they'll do the single player right, but when it comes to the Multiplayer for DoWIII... I mean, it can't be any worse than Soulstorm, right?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I feel like such a dirty heretic for saying this but... I REALLY don't like what I see.

No I'm not talking about the graphics, but the outright butchery of what made Relic rts stand out: the cover system.

Dow 1 introduced it and the CoH series perfected it, you would have troops naturally seeking cover in firefights as if they valued their own lives and battles looked dynamic and chaotic as opposed to static troops pew pewing at each other a la starcraft. Even melee troops don't have sync kills anymore, so there isn't quite the same level of viciousness when squads are engaged in melee.
First time I saw the bubbles, I thought was just some eldar gimmick, that it's the whole cover system is a massive step backwards and honestly, I'd rather they ditch the cover system all together if this is what they are going for.
Remember when you had to actually look at the terrain and analyze what there was (this was especially true in Coh)? Remember when battles could affect the terrain and cover could be destroyed/created?
Now you just look if there's a bubble or not and "capture" it...? Wut? Terrain doesn't matter for anything now it seems, you could be fighting in a crater littered mountainous landscape and would offer the same amount of cover (aka none) as a grassy plain.

I feel like they are trying to make this game esports friendly or something, they removed the rng aspects of battles that was previously relic's trademark in favor of something thats very much safe, and honestly is kinda derivative rather then it's own thing like relic rts games used to be.

Also I don't care what they say, those are NOT lascannons. If it's a continuous stream of super hot looking yellow beam that melts through armor , then it's a melta weapon. I mean there's a ton of lore inconsistencies which others here point out, but that one really bugs me for some reason, probably because up to now Relic always got the lascannons right, so why did they forget how they work now? xD

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Glad to see a new DoW game but this all really feels off. Cover system? Uh why not use the natural terrain? This cover dome thing only feels like a gimmick to get fights that become log jams and force scripted combat sequences in particular areas. When the cover was first introduced in the video I can see how quickly the troops became useless. They just stood there with enemies out of their weapon range while the rest of the army went on the move and pressed forward.

The Eldar are supposed to be a mobile army and going to cover against them makes no sense as they would and should dance around their enemies. Instead they just throw themselves at the reproduce fast as bunnies humans... ugh.

I do like seeing that base building is back and I assume the take and hold requisition point system is in place as well. Hmm well I will keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be a good game as we get more information about it. Bleh, well at least it is not one of those cheesy flash games riding on the WH40K license :p

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
it looks cool all this! may be the final game look a little closer to that DoW2 to the original game.