Check Out Five Minutes of the Halo Legends Anime

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Check Out Five Minutes of the Halo Legends Anime

Looking forward to the anime take on Master Chief, the Covenant, and the rest? Take a look at a five-minute preview of one of the Halo Legends shorts called "The Babysitter."

The five minutes' worth of footage was aired on Spike TV - accompanying a countdown to ODST - as a preview to the Halo Legends collection of anime shorts announced back in July [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93371-Halo-Legends-Anime-Miniseries-in-the-Works]. In case you're wondering, yes, these are just scenes pulled from the story, so if it feels a bit disjointed, that's why.

Considering that ODST hits stores this week, it's perhaps fitting that the story we get a sneak peek at is "The Babysitter," a short about a group of ODST Helljumpers and one lone Spartan sniper that focuses on the rivalries between the various branches of the UNSC military. I'm not sure which of the five studios involved in the project - Bones, Casio Entertainment, Production I.G., Studio4C, and Toei Animation - is behind this particular short, but it's looking fine from a visual standpoint at the moment (if not particularly inspired). I do have to say that the fight between the Brute and the Spartan (who may or may not be Master Chief) is pretty awesome, and I look forward to seeing more of that whenever it gets here.

Halo Legends is set to release in early 2010.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Subpar character animation
Terrible voice acting and script
and the Covenant look like Pokemon

And plus I can't really be expected to take this seriously when most of Japan doesn't give two shits about Halo.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
looke interesting.
i was talking to a buddy of mine on here about it and the thing i really like about it is the style of anime.
it reminds me of G Gundam and Big O.
The Characters have a ventige feel to me.
ill watch it, then ill pass judgment.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Ummm, lol. I have no idea what to say to that, to me it sucked. But then I hate that kind of animation

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Can't say I liked it, didn't feel very Halo.

I can't recall the last time I beat up a Brute with my generic anime fighting skills as opposed to shooting it dead.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
For people who don't like this animations style, there will be more, seeing as multiple studios are working on this (like "The Animatrix"). Truthfully, this makes more sense to me, in the same way that from what little we know about "Metroid: Other M" makes sense to me. Genetically enhanced supersoldiers (who, in the Spartans cases are also Cyborgs) are not going to just use guns. They're going to use everything, from their fists, to their knives, to, well, I said it already. Everything is used.

Heracles

Jul 14, 2009
i don't like that they aren't bothering to have the soldiers have short hair. no marine would have hair as long as that red haired... guy i think has.

overall, not exited about halo legends.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I dunno, maybe I'm crap at Halo...but can you actually sneak about like that in the game? Everything usually just starts shooting at me as soon as I'm in range...

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Generic_Dave said:
I dunno, maybe I'm crap at Halo...but can you actually sneak about like that in the game? Everything usually just starts shooting at me as soon as I'm in range...
Pretty much only a few key moments in Halo 1 if you're good enough. Most Grunts asleep with a couple of Elite patrols, though if you got too close and didn't kill them quick they'd alert everyone else. There were a couple moments in 2 and 3 that tried it, but it just didn't work as well.

As for the short, I agree the voice acting sucked and the dialogue was lame, but this is another culture's take on it. What do you expect a bunch of Japanese directors to do, write it to be as American as possible? That's not the point. The idea is to see what a few big name anime directors would do with it.

I'm hoping it turns out better than the Batman shorts, as I found maybe one or two of those interesting. It's too early to pass judgment on Halo Legends as a whole. It's possible that other shorts will end up being great.

Oh, and why does everyone make a big deal about Brutes? Elites were much more interesting to fight.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Generic_Dave said:
Do a degree, it's pointless though.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
looks interesting i would probably appreciate it more if it wasn't suppose to be halo.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The animation is rather bland-tastic, but then again, I had predicted that for this particular segment from the three second clip I'd seen in the mishmash trailer. I hope the other studios offer up some better options.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
notoriouslynx said:
Who the hell cares about the animation style. That wasn't halo at all. The characters in the beginning were the normal bad-dialogue clumzy characters from every anime and I never seen fist fighting in halo. That wasn't halo at all. It was a bland scifi anime that just happens to be in the halo universe.
I remember someone being able to punch a tank in one of the Halo games till it died or something.

So fist fighting is probably fully possible with the suits. Also seeing that they survived the drop from space just right into the ground makes me think the armor do enhance their ability quite a bit.

The cartoon looks ok. But I'd only see if it got Japanese voices. For me Anime with English voices only worked in Cromartie High School. In every other anime ish type of looking cartoon Japanese just works wonder.