Check Out Five Minutes of the Halo Legends Anime

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
After this, there is no possible way anyone can claim that Bungie IS NOT milking the franchise.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Scrythe said:
After this, there is no possible way anyone can claim that Bungie IS NOT milking the franchise.
Given that the marketing rights lie with MS (if memory serves)yes you can

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Scrythe said:
I think that right now they're in the process of geneticly enginering the original cow, so that they can start milking that.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Scrythe said:
Bungie's not even touching the franchise after Reach, or allegedly so. From here on it's pretty much Microsoft. They likely involve Bungie for story purposes, but eventually it's going to completely leave their hands.

Maybe then it'll finally die.

As for the reactions, really, here I thought I hated the modern state of Japanese entertainment, but at least I have an understanding of the culture. This is just outright ignorant.

No the ODST jumpers don't act like actual soldiers. Of course, that's part of the point in Japan. I've said this when discussing why Western games don't always sell. They want characters that they can relate to. Teenagers or young adults with attitude, for example. A real marine isn't someone your every day chud can relate to. The difference is, Americans like it when marines act properly because it makes them believable. We want a character we can understand, but if an 18 year old army recruit acts like an 18 year old College frat boy it breaks things for us.

It's a difference in culture. Instead of criticizing it, take it for what it is. Rent the damn DVD first when it releases, THEN make judgment. This is just one of many shorts.

I mean, holy crap. When I first started posting here most folks were of a decent maturity. Is everyone like 15 now?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Uh, dunno what people are on about when they say the animation is bad. That stuff is top notch, the kinda animation quality I'd expect from any high-end Anime studio these days. The art style seems a tad dated, there's no argument there, but animation wise it's absolutely fine.

Maybe you guys watched a different video to the one I just saw?

As for the actual subject: Meh. It's a five minute short, and a fairly disjointed one at that. As with the trailer, I'll be waiting until the full release before I pass final judgement on the Halo anime.

As of yet, it looks to be mildly entertaining. Might not WOW HOLY SHIT THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING THING EVER! me but it'll more than pass the time.

You know, just like the Halo Games.

Odd that.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
After Animatrix made me want to stick my head in the office paper shredder, I'm looking forward to this one. This looks cool enough to be interesting.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Awful. Just awful.

The animation makes everything look like, well, run-of-the-mill lame Japanese cartoon characters.
The characters are a bunch of whiny brats, which dishonours the UNSC and Sgt. Johnson's memory. No way would an ODST act like that.
The Spartan is way too agile for someone wearing a tonne of power armour. They might be stronger with it on, but there's no way they would hop around like that.
JRPG characters and their hair must die.
The voice acting is in the 'average' to 'terrible' realm.

Awful. Just awful.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
The actual helljumping bit was kinda cool, as well as the part where they snuck up on the grunts. Then Master Chief turned into fucking naruto and started doing somersaults over a 20 foot Brute. I could see this working if the animation studios tried to break away from typical, juvenile anime tropes such as this, but as it is, it just doesn't fucking work.

Oh, and someone needs to inform an officer that the one whiny ODST somehow missed the day when every soldier gets their heads shaved.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
I don't usually buy animes I usually let my friends who are more into anime buy them then I barrow them but this one might be good.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Halo is pretty shaky as a game, I really don't think it will work at all as an anime.

Edit: and what I just watched makes me feel this even stronger.

Well I aint watching it and that is final!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
ccesarano said:
Bungie's not even touching the franchise after Reach, or allegedly so. From here on it's pretty much Microsoft. They likely involve Bungie for story purposes, but eventually it's going to completely leave their hands.

Are you saying that Microsoft's spiritually-dead boardroom mentality would be likely to grind Halo down into irrelevance with ill-planned sequels and money-grab sellout franchise expansions?!

...because, honestly, if that's what you're saying, I'd have to agree with you.

Also, I find that particular clip relatively uninspiring. Especially the DBZ-type fight scene involving the Spartan (whose MJOLNIR armor, by the way, does literally weigh a ton). Unless they were on a world with exceedingly low gravity, that scene is nothing more than cutesy stereotypical anime crap. A medium that gave us a character who excelled in a REAL martial art (Spike Spiegel and Jeet Kune Do) should know better by now.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Heathrow said:
Except for, you know, the interesting characters, the compelling story, the excellent music and everything else that makes Cowboy Bebop a classic. Really there's no comparison at all except that the sniper in this apparently stole Spike's hair.
Aye, once that Spartan started fighting the big Digimon (to stick with that theme), I was immediately reminded of Spikes "broomfight" with Elektra in the Cowboy Bebop movie. Except that flowing style doesn't really suit a Spartan as well as it does someone like Spike.

If Halo Legends is going to end up as an Animatrix like project, I wonder what its "Beyond" equivalent will be, if it will even have such a thing.

raxer92

Aug 3, 2009
*twitch*
What...
the...
fuck...

I pretty much feel the same way as when I heard about that Star Wars spin-off series.

Except instead of Cartoon Network screwing around with good franchise, it's Japan.
Zefar said:
The cartoon looks ok. But I'd only see if it got Japanese voices. For me Anime with English voices only worked in Cromartie High School. In every other anime ish type of looking cartoon Japanese just works wonder.
Same (except with Cromartie High School, never heard of it so I have no opinion). Animes always feel cooler if the characters speak in Japanese.

I don't hate the idea of an anime Halo (on paper, it sounds like a glorious win), but this is just...

shock and awe.

Now that I think about it, its mainly the voices and the animation style (not the art style, but that too feels a little off to me).[/quote]

1: What you expect, Japan doesnt give a shit about Halo and neither does any gamer who likes substance over style
2: Remember Halo is the number one overrated videogame ever
3: Remember that anime has to have a damn good story for it to work with the type of style and plot point system that anime tends to use, and believe me Halo aint got two shits worth of a story in my book

raxer92

Aug 3, 2009
ccesarano said:
Scrythe said:

As for the reactions, really, here I thought I hated the modern state of Japanese entertainment, but at least I have an understanding of the culture. This is just outright ignorant.

No the ODST jumpers don't act like actual soldiers. Of course, that's part of the point in Japan. I've said this when discussing why Western games don't always sell. They want characters that they can relate to. Teenagers or young adults with attitude, for example. A real marine isn't someone your every day chud can relate to. The difference is, Americans like it when marines act properly because it makes them believable. We want a character we can understand, but if an 18 year old army recruit acts like an 18 year old College frat boy it breaks things for us.

It's a difference in culture. Instead of criticizing it, take it for what it is. Rent the damn DVD first when it releases, THEN make judgment. This is just one of many shorts.

I mean, holy crap. When I first started posting here most folks were of a decent maturity. Is everyone like 15 now?
ENOUGH WITH THE GODDAMN SPACE MARINES ALREADY, WE WANT BRAND NEW IDEAS LIKE BIOSHOCK AND PORTAL, THE "ALIEN" MOVIE HAS GIVEN US ENOUGH GAMES WITH SPACE MARINES, GOOD GOD I HOPE THAT THIS STUPID TREND DOESNT CONTINUE WITH THAT WEIRD AVATAR MOVIE COMING OUT WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH A COPY OF STUPID POCAHONTAS -_-

seraphmaclay

Nov 4, 2008
You know, maybe it's just me, but I like what I see. Then again, I want to see all of Blue Squad in action, rather than just John (if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about...turn off the multiplayer and go take a look at the expanded universe; it's the only reason I even play Halo). I mean, when you tell someone the idea that there's like 75 Spartans before the events at Reach, they no nothing about it. The fact that Master Chief's name is John and that Master Chief Petty Officer 3rd Class is his rank boggles peoples minds. God, it's supposed to be this epic phenomenon and no one knows anything about the story. It's ironically amusing, and I had hope that since the attempts at the movie thus far have failed miserably, that maybe this would shed some light on it. It looks like it will, but unfortunately, it comes down to people thinking Anime sucks rather than look at the story itself. Inspires such confidence in the human race.

Oh, and for the record, the best sniper in the Spartan II unit is Linda, which means, the one fighting that brute's a girl. Given that she's using a knife and relies more on stealth than full on charges backs this up. John is the charger of the bunch, Sam and Fred acted as his support with heavy weapons, Kelly with light, and Kurt as the secondary charger after Sam's death (I'm speaking mostly of Blue Squad as they're the main characters of all the expanded Universe outside of Dr. Halsey, who has only made appearances as Cortana thus far, Seargent Johnson, and Commander Keyes).

Also, I like the art style, and these are minor characters, so voice really isn't important. Also, the girl that was in the Halo 3 trailer with John looking at the stars as kids, that was most likely Linda, so I'd definitely like to see more, and explains the teddy bear in the first trailer.

-Sara

raxer92

Aug 3, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Doesn't look like Babysitter is the best choice for first impressions. This one looks decent but I hope that the other studios do better.
Agreed, remember that most halo players are inconsistent little shits who had whined and complained just because the damn show came from anime producers and not microsoft cartoonist people. I myself dont give a shit about Halo but if they truly wanted to impress Japan which thank god has the idea that the xbox is shit giving it low sales over their then they really needed to impress with something BIG right off the bat