Check Out The Escapist Awards 2015 Winners

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What a bizarre selection of categories. I like how games like Rocket League, Project CARS, and Super Mario Maker (my personal fave of 2015) are effectively disqualified simply because they don't fit into any of the oddly-specific categories.

P.S. Thanks

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hate to be "that guy," but I can't help but notice that there's a category for "best RPG" and "best open world," yet both Fallout 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles X are both RPGs also. I remember a debate awhile ago that Bethesda's games (Fallout/Elder Scrolls) weren't RPGs at all, but rather sandbox games with RPG elements.

I guess while I'm here I'll nominate Halo 5 for best FPS, Heroes of the Storm for best ARTS (or MOBA, or hero brawler, or whatever), and reflect that at some point I've got to try Grey Goo.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Covarr said:
What a bizarre selection of categories. I like how games like Rocket League, Project CARS, and Super Mario Maker (my personal fave of 2015) are effectively disqualified simply because they don't fit into any of the oddly-specific categories.

P.S. Thanks
Oh, cool, so I wasn't the only one. Good to know that it was apparently so weird that the first commenter brought it up.

No best platformer, no best puzzle, best racer, best fighter, best indie, best shooter, best new IP, nothin'. Does this come in multiple parts or something?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Having seen Yahtzee's tremendously glitchy run through Ark Survival, I'm shocked to see the game win "Best Early Access", of all things.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
If people missed it, the Reader's Choice GOTY is going on right now: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.932095-Poll-Vote-for-the-Readers-Choice-GOTY-for-2015

Johnny Novgorod said:
Having seen Yahtzee's tremendously glitchy run through Ark Survival, I'm shocked to see the game win "Best Early Access", of all things.
I think that says a lot about the state of Early Access titles more than it does about ARK.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Once again, Undertale gets snubbed.

Somebody must've had a bad time. #getdunkedon

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Hawki said:
I guess while I'm here I'll nominate Halo 5 for best FPS, Heroes of the Storm for best ARTS (or MOBA, or hero brawler, or whatever), and reflect that at some point I've got to try Grey Goo.
Yeah, quite a few categories missing.
I send Splat00n into the shooter cathegory

Then I have really enjoyed MarioMaker... just no idea what sort of game that is... puzzleplatformer?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
vallorn said:
If people missed it, the Reader's Choice GOTY is going on right now: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.932095-Poll-Vote-for-the-Readers-Choice-GOTY-for-2015

Johnny Novgorod said:
I think that says a lot about the state of Early Access titles more than it does about ARK.
If it does, then the award should be renamed "Less Shitty Early Access".

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Guffe said:
Hawki said:

Then I have really enjoyed MarioMaker... just no idea what sort of game that is... puzzleplatformer?
Development tool kit, more like.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Still haven't figured out or bothered to embed a link to the comment section in these kinds of list articles? At least the ones commenting here are the ones who figured out how to side-step that.

Regarding Ark Survival. Those games always excite me until I realize that they're just a race against other people. Rust really showed how dickish random players can be and how hard it is to stop cheaters. I would love a game like this that was legitimately single player. Minecraft was cute and all, but so far it's the closest thing that came to what I actually want. But maybe I'm one of the few people who don't like playing with people in any scenario where random people can kill me without any kind of attempt at a level playing field.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Guffe said:
Hawki said:

Development tool kit, more like.
I'm baffled so many people are praising what is essentially an official GECK for games that have the strongest ROM hack base I've ever seen. I also heard they used the NSMB engine for everything but I could have heard wrong. I certainly hope so.

OT: Just Cause 3 came out. That wasn't enough to compete with Fallout 4? I'm pretty sure the reason I'm so cut up about F4 is because I don't hate it because I think Fallout is a bad series. I hate it because it's terrible in comparison to 3 and NV.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
EHKOS said:
I also heard they used the NSMB engine for everything but I could have heard wrong. I certainly hope so.
It's based on the NSMBU engine, but with some changes. Unfortunately, all the games have NSMBU physics (apparently switching back and forth based on game style was causing trouble for players in testing), but beyond that it's pretty solid. NSMBU already had much less floaty physics than previous NSMB games, so that's really not a huge problem from what I've played.

P.S. Thanks