Check Out The UK Version Of Captain America 2's To-Do List

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Check Out The UK Version Of Captain America 2's To-Do List

Apparently, Captain America still hasn't listened to the biggest band in the history of forever.

Warning: Mild spoilers below.

It might be called Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but Marvel knows which side its bread is buttered on, and that side is of course "massive international ticket sales." So it is that as the critically lauded sequel makes its way through theaters worldwide, audiences will be treated to a subtle, localized version of the film tailored to a specific country's tastes.

Luckily, this won't be anything as absurd as the extraneous, plot-unrelated footage shot exclusively for Chinese audiences in Iron Man 3. Rather, it's a riff on the charming joke in which Steve Rogers pulls out a notebook to reveal a to-do list of things he needs to watch/listen to/eat in order to catch up with 21st century culture, first seen a few weeks back when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133054-Heres-The-First-10-Minutes-Of-Captain-America-2-Spoiler>the first 10 minutes of the film appeared online.

In the American version of The Winter Solider, his notebook entires are: I love Lucy; Moon Landing; Berlin Wall (up & down); Steve Jobs (Apple); Disco*; Thai Food; Star Wars/Trek; Nirvana (band); Rocky (Rocky II); and Troubleman (soundtrack). As you can see here, the UK version, voted on by British film fans, replaces I Love Lucy with Sherlock, Berlin Wall with The Beatles, Steve Jobs with the 1966 World Cup Final, and Disco with Sean Connery.

I kind of feel bad for British Captain America. Apparently he's only taking suggestions from people who have only the most pedestrian knowledge of recent cultural history. Specifically, while I love Sherlock, I find it impossible to believe someone recommended that to Steve before Doctor Who?. (Especially since the Doctor occupies a space in British pop culture similar to Star Trek in the US.) Don't worry Cap, if we run into each other I'll make sure you get a few deeper recommendations, I swear.

Other countries' lists are, obviously, similarly tailored - fans are already reporting that Korean audiences will see Oldboyin Cap's notebook. If you're outside the US and you've already seen The Winter Soldier let us know in comments how the list looks where you are. In the meantime, while we Americans wait for our chance to see it later this week, I'll ask again: do we think Captain America will end up being a Star Wars fanatic, or a trekkie?

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/statuses/450582471394865152>Empire.

* I still think it says "Pisco," not "Disco," but the consensus is that I'm wrong. I'll add that Disco is a perfectly cromulent recommendation - yes, har har, cheap laugh and all that, but disco was a far more diverse genre than we misremember it today. And besides, Giorgio Morder is a musical genius who was light years ahead of his time. If Steve Rogers ends up defending liberty to the tune of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone," then the world wins.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ahhh that explains a lot. I did wonder in the cinema why the '66 world cup final was on Caps list. Though it is pretty clever to do this kind of thing for each contry.

One question though....will the notebook be in each different countries language or just in English? I feel the joke might be lost on some places if this is the case.

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
Thanks for posting it, I wasn't able to read all the entries when I watched the movie. It may have different entries here, but I remember reading Rocky and Star Wars/Trek. :D

wooty said:
One question though....will the notebook be in each different countries language or just in English? I feel the joke might be lost on some places if this is the case.
It was in English here (Argentina), and it wasn't subtitled either, so probably not. They are mostly names though, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
wooty said:
Well, i somehow doubt that the Japanese version will feature a list of anime and idols.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Sherlock? Eh Fine. Don't see how this is of greater importance to the Cap then seeing the Berlin Wall but whatever.

1996 World Cup? Really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Football is not that popular in the states right? And it replaces Steve Jobs? I'm sorry, but that man has had a far greater cultural impact then the entire histroy of football (Soccer).

Berlin Wall is replaced by The Beatles? Could they not have fit both on the list? Take out Sherlock maybe? I'd imagine as a combatant in WW2, he'd be more interested in the aftermath of the war then pop bands.

It's an extremely minor gripe, but I think a list relevant to an american would make more sense within the context of this movie and at that, one tailored to someone who missed out on 70+ years of cultural and historical developments. This "nudge nudge wink wink" list feels like a missed opportunity for some subtle character development.

That isn't to say The Beatles couldn't be on the list.

EDIT: I just want to emphasise that this in no way will affect my judgement on the film. It just seems awkward.

EDIT EDIT: Looking back on it, maybe Sherlock works. If this was released some other time I'd get a chuckle if it said Breaking Bad or The Wire, so maybe it's just this particular reference is lost on me.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Watched it last night, in Norway, and the list here was the american since it had I love Lucy on it.

Neat little thing to do I guess. :p

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Not for me personally but for a brit the 66 world cup has way more relevance than Steve Jobs. That's not to say I have any time for Steve Jobs. One thing I did notice though was the...
quote on nick fury's gravestone "The path of the righteous man"
made me giggle a little.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
I think it's clever, from what we see of the version in "The Avengers" he wasn't getting out much. Just training for what little you saw of him before his talk with Fury so if after when the movie ended he decided to go out and see the world a bit, one page would hardly do for a few decades on ice.

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
1996 World Cup? Really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Football is not that popular in the states right? And it replaces Steve Jobs? I'm sorry, but that man has had a far greater cultural impact then the entire histroy of football (Soccer).
Really? I'm not that big on football myself, but are you seriously suggesting a man who is mostly known for overpriced hipster products* has had more cultural impact than a sport that among other things led to a (small) war [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_war], served as a symbol for a nation recovering from devastating defeat in WW2 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Bern] and in general is one of the most watched and visited sports in the world? Really?

*I'm aware he has had a big influence on several major developments in technology, but still...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Darth Sea Bass said:
Not for me personally but for a brit the 66 world cup has way more relevance than Steve Jobs. That's not to say I have any time for Steve Jobs. One thing I did notice though was the...
made me giggle a little.
Didn't notice the notebook, just that he wrote the soundtrack down.
Maybe that's a reason to go rewatch it? :p
nah, maybe not.
Finland reporting in by the way!

But just as my quoted friend here points out, be alerted for the easter egg in the cemetary!

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I guess Doctor Who would raise hopes of traveling back, then crush them when he finds out Santa the Doctor isn't real (though a crossover would be fun).

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Subatomic said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Really? I'm not that big on football myself, but are you seriously suggesting a man who is mostly known for overpriced hipster products* has had more cultural impact than a sport that among other things led to a (small) war [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_war], served as a symbol for a nation recovering from devastating defeat in WW2 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Bern] and in general is one of the most watched and visited sports in the world? Really?

*I'm aware he has had a big influence on several major developments in technology, but still...
Okay, it was bit too hyperbolic...

I still think Steve Jobs is more significant then the 1996 World Cup, and more relevant to an american then Football, but yeah, he's probably not that significant compared to the entire historical and cultural impact of Football.

So, point taken.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Guffe said:
Darth Sea Bass said:
made me giggle a little.
Didn't notice the notebook, just that he wrote the soundtrack down.
Maybe that's a reason to go rewatch it? :p
nah, maybe not.
Finland reporting in by the way!

But just as my quoted friend here points out, be alerted for the easter egg in the cemetary!
That bit alone probably not justification to go see again, the fact it's a bloody good film anyway definitely justification :D

Unless you didn't dig it.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
I'm French and we got the mighty Daft Punk on Cap's to-do list.
Such attention to detail and care for what the customer wants are part of what makes this movie great.

Dec 16, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
I still think Steve Jobs is more significant then the 1996 World Cup, and more relevant to an american then Football, but yeah, he's probably not that significant compared to the entire historical and cultural impact of Football.

So, point taken.
Assuming here, that it was 4 items picked for each region, then randomly inserted in the space, rather than A is equal to B is equal to C, so they all go in position 1 for thier region

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
'Especially since the Doctor occupies a space in British pop culture similar to Star Trek in the US' Where the hell did you get this from? Apart from for small children, the doctor is almost absent from pop culture here in the UK. Sherlock is more popular, but if you really want to talk about popular TV over here there's a long list of 'reality' programmes to choose from. I guess they're not in nerd culture though.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Hmm.

No Top Gear on that list. Cap, i am disappointed in you.

Obligatory Beatles of course though.

MegaGame

Sep 27, 2013
Top Gear woud not help him to get up to speed, 1 of them is stuck in a time before WW2, other hates any new things, and the last only cares about 911, the car.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
This makes no sense at all, he's an American man working for an American company in America helping Americans do American things in order to protect America. Why would American characters be giving him recommendations outside of their more common country specific widely agreed upon pop culture.

Just another example of dumb marketing gimmicks intruding on films where they don't belong. I hope the bluray version has the default American list at least.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I have to say that seeing '1966 World Cup' on the list did strike me as pretty odd. But it made a lot more sense when I considered that Agent Peggy Carter is English. Probably harder to apply similar logic to the other variants.

As an aside, Winter Soldier is my favourite MCU movie after the Avengers. Thoroughly enjoyed it.