"Chef" The Story of Jon Favreau getting screwed over by Marvel Studios

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I usually try not to spam links, but I wanted to make an exception because this is one of my favorite stories. For those that don't follow nerd gossip, Jon Favreau was the king of the world over at Marvel Studios after doing Iron Man and immediately dropped out after Iron Man 2. He then made an indie called "Chef" which was a thinly veiled story recalling his time at Marvel and why he dropped out as a director. To my knowledge I can't think of another writer/director not only quitting, but then going and making a movie about why he quit.

Anyway the editor over at Mr. Sunday Movies found this fascinating enough that he did a beat by beat run through of what the movie was conveying. Its a good watch if you're curious about all those details.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Can't be that much of a split. He's still got a steady gig phoning it in as Tony's comedy mook and directing Mandalorians.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Can't be that much of a split. He's still got a steady gig phoning it in as Tony's comedy mook and directing Mandalorians.
It wasn't. I'd say making Chef was more of blowing off some steam, a little expression of creativity before he went back to toeing the line. Also, Marvel Studios became much different after Disney bought them. I'm guessing Favreau had a much better relationship with the new management.

OT: Anyway, always love a video from Ben from Canada. This was a particularly good one. I loved this movie, quite fittingly I decided to watch it after getting tired of watching action movies all the time. It was breath of fresh air, and I didn't expect Favreau to be such a good actor.