Chernobyl Becoming a Tourist Destination Next Year

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
I've wanted to go for years now. There have been trips and tours before, usually by Universities (hence the various awesome collections of online photos). I doubt I'll convince the rest of the family to agree to my version of a fun vacation, though...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Hmm...I'll wait before I start booking my trip. I wanna make sure I'm not gonna become a mutant that feeds off of human flesh first.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I wish I could go, why take a vacation to Paris or Rome? Its just another city full of people. But a decrepit ghost town, a wasteland of bitter memories and ruin? Thats powerful stuff, far more fascinating. just mind the cancer.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
Hmm...I'll wait before I start booking my trip. I wanna make sure I'm not gonna become a mutant that feeds off of human flesh first.
Oh come on, you gotta lead the trends!

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R anyone? xDD

Anywho, it sounds fun. I might go
This. The amount of times I've wanted to travel the Soviet Wastes S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style, and now it can finally happen.

Roofless

Oct 12, 2009
I wonder what the officials actually meant. People go to Chernobyl on tours all the time, it's not something new for Ukrainians. We even have an annual STALKER-themed airsoft hoedown and some people, who returned to live in the restriction zone. BTW the capital, Kiev, is located in ~83km from the sight.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
*Raises hand*

I'm going there, first chance I ever get. Visiting Pripyat has been a goal of mine for a long time.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I so0 want to go but I have no money... just as long as it isn't at night... I'm not getting pounced by a chimera again...<.<

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
This does not really seem like a good idea.
i will not be getting on the plane to the ukraine to go to Chernobyl

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Is it wrong that the first thing that comes to mind when I look at those pictures is the level in the original Modern Warfare? :\

Seriously, I totally recognize the funfair with the buildings where the final stand took place and the swimming pool...

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
It already is. I've read about tourist guides that provide tours to the outskirts of Chernobyl (I remember reading about a dude that lay his hat on the ground and had to leave it behind because of radioactive contamination).

Here it is:

http://forums.filefront.com/s-t-l-k-e-r-soc-general-discussion/379832-my-trip-chernobyl-pictures-56k-ultra-death.html

mfG diebane

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Grayjack said:
I would definitely go. I just hope that we're attacked by zombies. Zombies + Chernobyl = Awesome.
That would be an excellent attraction! Either laser-tag or, a paint-ball arena with the radiated undead being the theme.

I'd go. I just need to steal me some money and, grab a passport.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Ok, I just packed my hoody, gasmask and a few cans of food.

TIME TO PLAY REAL LIFE STALKER!

woob^3

Aug 7, 2008
I visited Chernobyl about a year and a half ago on a day trip from Kiev. We drove through the Red Forest, past the buried village, and had lunch in Chernobyl itself. We got to about 100 metres from the sarcophagus, and had about 1 and a half hours of free time to explore Pripyat -- there are still May Day posters in the back of the community centre from the time of the disaster, untouched.

You have to be careful -- don't touch the moss, don't step on bare soil -- but while the area has an elevated level of background radiation, if you're not camping for days at a time right under the sarcophagus itself you're fine. The guides know the best places to go, where you can't go without being "removed" from the area, and where you shouldn't go for health reasons.

I'll be honest -- it was the best 8 hours of my 3 month tour, and I would say any travel i've done so far.

My photo blog: http://daveabroad.livejournal.com/7719.html

Additional photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Dave.P.Ellis/Chernobyl#