Chernobyl Diaries Takes a Scary Trip to a Familiar Place

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Chernobly Diaries, the new movie from Paranormal Activity [http://www.amazon.com/Paranormal-Activity/dp/B003204MQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332433069&sr=8-1] creator Orel Peli, is what.
I'm guessing you wanted to say "is that" at the end.

Also, seems interesting, but really off the charts regarding probability, which always ruins the horror in a movie for me. If the explosion which took place around 30 years ago actually did spawn mutants, the whole place would be surrounded by the military 24/7 and a bunch of hipsters wouldn't be able to go do "extreme" (really?) tourism.

Like I said, this kind of ruins the mood for me.

mmaruda

Apr 8, 2008
To me this seems just... disappointing. Another horror film based on the same exact scheme - bunch of kids going some place scary for the thrill and it suddenly goes bad (duh?). No surprise here. The only twist in this is that it's Chernobyl.

You know what is really scary? The amount of lives that catastrophe took to clean up, the guts and sacrifice of people who tried to contain it. But mostly the fact that the whole thing might happen again because the concrete block that covers what is left of the reactor is slowly degrading and Ukraine has no money to fix it.

As for the mutants... There were some cases of two-headed pigs (people still live in the area as they had no place to move) but radiation does not mutate things, it just kills them. Anyway, after the catastrophe USSR military did contain the area and shot all animals they found. You can actually go on a trip there, but the "extreme" part doesn't come from the fact that there are mutants, but because there are places around there with a still very high level of radiation.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
When you said 'Pocket digital Cameras' and 'Director of paranormal activity' my mind went to shaky cam and terrible. I was wrong, it actually looks to be a pretty decent flick.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Looks rubbish.

The Hills Have Eyes on Chernobyl. No S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s and the same dude from Paranormal Activity?

Might watch it and grow an ironic mustache. Or not.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
6SteW6 said:
When you said 'Pocket digital Cameras' and 'Director of paranormal activity' my mind went to shaky cam and terrible. I was wrong, it actually looks to be a pretty decent flick.
Yeh, if there's one thing the film may have going for it, it's that it's not using shaky cam.

Hard to decide what I actually think about this film. On the one hand, I'm up for a creepy horror film set in Chernobyl but on the other hand, it doesn't look like we'll get anything other than the standard running around scared while some unlucky soul gets dragged off into the darkness by some shadowy figure. Oh, and maybe a creepy kid thrown in for good measure, I suppose.

Speaking of Orel Peli, what happened to that tv series he was working on, The River. Should it not have started by now? Does it even exist anymore? Not that I was particularly interested in it or anything. Just curious.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
MarsProbe said:
6SteW6 said:
Yeh, if there's one thing the film may have going for it, it's that it's not using shaky cam.

Hard to decide what I actually think about this film. On the one hand, I'm up for a creepy horror film set in Chernobyl but on the other hand, it doesn't look like we'll get anything other than the standard running around scared while some unlucky soul gets dragged off into the darkness by some shadowy figure. Oh, and maybe a creepy kid thrown in for good measure, I suppose.

Speaking of Orel Peli, what happened to that tv series he was working on, The River. Should it not have started by now? Does it even exist anymore? Not that I was particularly interested in it or anything. Just curious.
Yeah it definetly seems a bit generic, but if nothing else it has a cool setting going for it.

I heard ABC is already talking about cancelling the river after this season airs and they are in talks with Netflix about picking it up. So if it's not on already then it doesn't look like the network has much confidence in it. If it is on already it must be bad because I haven't heard any promotions for it and no ones talking about it :S

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
After 3 seconds I started to hate the main characters. Not a good sign. Also, why is the guide dressed like Niko Bellic who was dressed like that guy from "Behind enemy lines"? Is it a new dress code for all Eastern/Southeastern Europeans? Do I have to wear that now?
Andy Chalk said:
but it will probably also be very familiar to STALKER veterans.
No it won't, because they didn't do their homework. I could've made a better set from memory.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
It doesn't look like it'll be a very good movie, but the setting might be enough to make it worth renting.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
There is a reason that STALKER literally made me lose sleep. It wasn't a movie with the standard "Dumb teens/young adults trapped in hellhole x" plot (actually, it was the bloodsuckers). And there were more Russians. Ukrainians. Whatever, they all had thick accents and spoke Russian when I wasn't looking.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I know the young-tourists-get-what-they're-asking-for cliché is tired, but that premise never gets any less scary. Damn Prypiat.

tlgAlaska

Dec 6, 2010
Tohuvabohu said:
I guess I say that because I'd rather see an actual film or something based on STALKER/Roadside Picnic instead. It's just, much more interesting than this... Wait, there's already a film about that? Time to watch it!
If you mean this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/ don't hold your breath. It's not interesting at all, if you watch it with the wrong expectations. It's over 2 hours of literally nothing happening. Just 3 men, walking through deserted buildings and playing Lava - "No no, don't go there, bad things will happen."
But NOTHING HAPPENS! The "Zone" does nothing, that frustrated the hell out of me when I watched it ^^

Userman57

Nov 26, 2009
For those pf you who still want to play the stalker games now, do it with this mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
tlgAlaska said:
Tohuvabohu said:
I guess I say that because I'd rather see an actual film or something based on STALKER/Roadside Picnic instead. It's just, much more interesting than this... Wait, there's already a film about that? Time to watch it!
If you mean this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/ don't hold your breath. It's not interesting at all, if you watch it with the wrong expectations. It's over 2 hours of literally nothing happening. Just 3 men, walking through deserted buildings and playing Lava - "No no, don't go there, bad things will happen."
But NOTHING HAPPENS! The "Zone" does nothing, that frustrated the hell out of me when I watched it ^^
One of my top three films of all time. Go figure.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Seems pretty unremarkable. I'm usually easily scared by horror films, but this one made me chuckle several times from trailer alone. Could be good, stupid fun.