Chernobyl Diaries Takes a Scary Trip to a Familiar Place

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
"Get out of here STALKER!"
They should have listened, and if those creatures are Clear Sky snorks they are all fucked.

bman804

Jan 20, 2011
Only 1/3 of all people who go into the Zone come out alive, and the radiation is the least of your problems. Just pack an AK-47 and a gasmask and you'll be good. Just avoid the Golden Ball and Dick the Tramp.

Valis88

Dec 16, 2008
Dfskelleton said:
I was interested until I saw "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF PARANORMAL ACTIVITY". If the trailer is an accurate representation of the film, then this is going to be one of those things with a brilliant setting for a horror film with a generic plotline that'll be incredibly easy to predict.
*sigh*, I can't remember the last time I saw a good horror movie. I honestly can't. I watch a lot of them, and they're all either complete crap or flatout mediocre. I love horror, it's just that nobody can get it right.
As far as I'm concerned, non-american filmmakers and writers have a far better grip on horror movies than american writers.

I don't know what it is about american horror films...they just can't seem to drop the 'stupid young people in situations that no one sane would ever do' premise from their films. American horror films, now a days, are just endless parades of jump scares, and excessive female nudity.

This looks like a good concept for a film, it's just a pity that it wont be half as good as it could be.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
6SteW6 said:
When you said 'Pocket digital Cameras' and 'Director of paranormal activity' my mind went to shaky cam and terrible. I was wrong, it actually looks to be a pretty decent flick.
MarsProbe said:
6SteW6 said:
When you said 'Pocket digital Cameras' and 'Director of paranormal activity' my mind went to shaky cam and terrible. I was wrong, it actually looks to be a pretty decent flick.
Yeh, if there's one thing the film may have going for it, it's that it's not using shaky cam.

Hard to decide what I actually think about this film. On the one hand, I'm up for a creepy horror film set in Chernobyl but on the other hand, it doesn't look like we'll get anything other than the standard running around scared while some unlucky soul gets dragged off into the darkness by some shadowy figure. Oh, and maybe a creepy kid thrown in for good measure, I suppose.

Speaking of Orel Peli, what happened to that tv series he was working on, The River. Should it not have started by now? Does it even exist anymore? Not that I was particularly interested in it or anything. Just curious.
You two do know that the original Paranormal Activity didn't use shaky cameras right? One of the main characters bought a camera that he carried around during the day sometimes which would be pretty still then would be put on a tripod at night to capture the things that were happening at night.

*Edit*
Oh and The River is onto its Season finale. I remember seeing a commercial for it.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Krion_Vark said:
You two do know that the original Paranormal Activity didn't use shaky cameras right? One of the main characters bought a camera that he carried around during the day sometimes which would be pretty still then would be put on a tripod at night to capture the things that were happening at night.

*Edit*
Oh and The River is onto its Season finale. I remember seeing a commercial for it.
Yep, I am aware Paranormal Activity didn't use shaky cam footage. I guess that as this film has a setup that will likely involve a lot of running around (whereas Paranormal Activity was set in a house), there's the fear that there would again be some person who decides to keep the recording the whole event on their handheld camera, despite there most likely being more pertinent things to concern oneself with.

Speaking of which, having watched the trailer for REC3, it seems they've finally caught an included a scene where one character seems to being doing the sensible thing and stopping the person who is still recording the footage mid-disastert.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
bman804 said:
Only 1/3 of all people who go into the Zone come out alive, and the radiation is the least of your problems. Just pack an AK-47 and a gasmask and you'll be good. Just avoid the Golden Ball and Dick the Tramp.
Also, never bring Witches Jelly out, and avoid anything which looks like a shiny spiderweb.
Edit: I want to see a good horror movie based on Pripyat. Not this shit. Give me something which isn't cliche as fuck and has a worthwhile plot.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Valis88 said:
Dfskelleton said:
I was interested until I saw "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF PARANORMAL ACTIVITY". If the trailer is an accurate representation of the film, then this is going to be one of those things with a brilliant setting for a horror film with a generic plotline that'll be incredibly easy to predict.
*sigh*, I can't remember the last time I saw a good horror movie. I honestly can't. I watch a lot of them, and they're all either complete crap or flatout mediocre. I love horror, it's just that nobody can get it right.
As far as I'm concerned, non-american filmmakers and writers have a far better grip on horror movies than american writers.

I don't know what it is about american horror films...they just can't seem to drop the 'stupid young people in situations that no one sane would ever do' premise from their films. American horror films, now a days, are just endless parades of jump scares, and excessive female nudity.

This looks like a good concept for a film, it's just a pity that it wont be half as good as it could be.
I agree. We have great ones every once in a while, but they're few and far inbetween. Only a handfull of directors (and writers) understand horror over here.
We did have Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft, but they're both long gone, and only so many people in the industry respect their respective brands of horror.
As far as writers go, I like Stephen King's ideas, it's just that he thinks we're more interested in tons of really small, unimportant details rather than the primary focus of the book.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Me likey STALKER, me might check out. It does look half decent though.. Although I didn't really like Paranormal Activity. Still, I'm open to new things, even though the new things might make me cry at night.

bman804

Jan 20, 2011
I just realized something. In one of the STALKER games, it is mentioned that the Zone was closed after a bus of American tourists disappeared.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
rhizhim said:
hey the blonde is from 5secondfilms!

I noticed that too, and since I would like to go to that place someday I want to see the movie (I usually am not a fan of horror, and the zombies/ghosts in the movie look kind of cheap, they could have gone further with some creatures closer to the bloodsuckers).

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
0:15 on the trailer

.... nuke-ular? Really... I though we learned our lesson there people.

0:53

No way that section was filmed at the CEZ because that retard would now have six different types of cancer...

All in all, pretty meh film mixed with some GRATING techno-babel.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
At :33 seconds, I'm almost positive that that is a screenshot from the game. And even though I hate that Paranormal Activity trash, I have to go see this since I'm obsessed with STALKER. :/

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Krion_Vark said:
6SteW6 said:
MarsProbe said:
6SteW6 said:
Yeh, if there's one thing the film may have going for it, it's that it's not using shaky cam.

Hard to decide what I actually think about this film. On the one hand, I'm up for a creepy horror film set in Chernobyl but on the other hand, it doesn't look like we'll get anything other than the standard running around scared while some unlucky soul gets dragged off into the darkness by some shadowy figure. Oh, and maybe a creepy kid thrown in for good measure, I suppose.

Speaking of Orel Peli, what happened to that tv series he was working on, The River. Should it not have started by now? Does it even exist anymore? Not that I was particularly interested in it or anything. Just curious.

*Edit*
Yeah I saw the first two PA's and I am aware they used a 'fixed' camera viewpoint. But it looks like a movie about teens being hunted in a city with pocket digital cameras I assumed it would be them holding it whilst moving. As I said this was my FIRST thought, I then went onto say it looked pretty decent.