Chew Your Way Through Tomba! on PSN

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Chew Your Way Through Tomba! on PSN

One the PS1's unsung classics arrives on PSN this summer.

Getting your hands on a copy of Whoopee Camp's excellent swine-chewing sim and platformer, Tomba! (Tombi! if you're European) is currently a bit of a pain in the rear. The lowest priced copy on eBay will set you back $50, while a new copy is selling for a crazy $250. Not only that, but Tomba! was one of the handful of PS1 games that wasn't compatible with the PS2, meaning the game never quite got the following it deserved.

Developed by Mega Man producer and Ghosts 'n Goblins director, Tokuro Fujiwara, Tomba! follows the adventures of the titular pink-haired cave man as he tries to retrieve his grandfather's bracelet from a horde of fascist bracelet-coveting pigs. The game is being released by Monkey Paw games, who also arranged the PSN release of Alundra and the Arc the Lad series. It took the company more than a year to acquire the rights to the title.

"We often have to chase down multiple right holders," said CEO, John Greiner. "In this case, Sony and Whoopee Camp had rights that needed to be negotiated." The deal didn't necessarily include the sequel, however. "Tomba! 2 is a possibility but we need to really sell Tomba! 1 well before we can extend our relationship. It's the first time to work with Fujiwara-san so we're trying to make a good impression. Good sales have a way opening doors a bit wider."

Since, like a lot of gamers, I keep my old consoles, I've never really seen the PSN re-releases of classic PS1 and PS2 games as particularly worthwhile. Nice, yes, but not something I'd consider essential to my gaming habit. Given Tomba!'s unique history, however, I think it may be the most significant classic release to date.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/23/tomba-comes-to-playstation-network-as-a-psone-classic-this-summ/]

piplink

Mar 11, 2011
Hell yeah! i still have my original copy, but no PS1. i need to get this when i get a ps3.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I think my original PS1 still works...I'm not sure. It's been years since I've seen the thing, hiding in a box in the garage. Though, having picked up a PS1 at the tail end of it's life, and needing my birthday money for other things, I never really had the extensive library of PS1 titles that I had for the N64. The re-releases on the PSN have actually given me the ability to play a few of the ones I missed.

Maybe I'll check this out. I've never even heard of it until this article. What's it comparable to?

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Finally! I've waited so long for this announcement and it's finally come true. This is one of the greatest hidden gems I ever played. I still have an old copy of Tombi, but hopefully this will spread the word of this wonderful title to people who haven't played it yet.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, my reaction. *cough* YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

That is all.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I've got my original copy of this and a functioning ps2 but I'm glad that others will get the chance to give it a go.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
This game was seven shades of awesome :D So looking forward to giving it a replay.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Solid and fun if definitely a game that doesn't quite match up with the praise it often receives. A very worthy buy if you like the genre though, and not just because it's a genre that's not often served these days.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Really excited about this, I remember having the demo and thinking HOW MUCH I WANTED THIS GAME!

Presumably this will work on PSP as well, right?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
"New Copy"? So they're still making this game, for a fifth generation console, and it costs $250?
I think it means its a old game that no-one ever opened hence 'new' I dont think it means there is a a factory somewhere putting out copies of Tomba on PS1

On topic I remember playing this, it had RPG elements right?

Dec 14, 2009
[sub]Yes...[/sub]

Yes...

Yes!

[HEADING=1]YES![/HEADING]

I fucking love this game, me and my friends often talk about how awesome a PSN release would be, and it's happening! It's actually happening.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I have this, in perfect condition. Bought it new back when it was $75.

I never tested it on my PS2, but it runs perfectly fine on the PS3 (fat and slim).

This game is amazing, and I can't wait to load that up on my PSP.

I swear I'm not a Sony fanboy.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Not only that, but Tomba! was one of the handful of PS1 games that wasn't compatible with the PS2...
What are you talking about? I've only ever played Tomba on a PS2, it works fine. So does the sequel.

Regardless, this is an awesome game and it's great more people will have access to it.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
I never had the chance to play this and all I can say is YESS YES YES YESsssssssssss. Take all my money!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Nice to hear (looks at mint condition copies of both games) but I think I'll pass.