Child Must Have Thought a Gun Was a Wii Remote, Mother Says

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
[HEADING=1]Gun[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]Wii Remote in Zapper[/HEADING]

I think that she saw something interesting, had no clue what a gun was, and started playing with it. But not as a Wiimote.

Also, before we get to the usual, and often deserved, Fox News bashing. Click the Fox News link. Fox News ITSELF isn't claiming this. Just the stupid mother.

PPS, to the mother:

Uhm, I couldn't agree more with you, especially the picture. A girl picking up a gun believing it is a wii zapper. Considering her age there's a slight possibility that that might possibly occur, but I would assume that's rare. I believe your reasoning with finding something interesting and picking it up more likely.
I would ask the mother about the following things:
1. If your daughter believed it to be a wii remote, wouldn't she point at the TV?
2. If she believed it to be a wii accessory shouldn't the TV be on and show the wii menu screen?
3. wouldn't a good mother or even the average, or maybe even the slightly stupid mother be able to think far enough to understand that a 3 year old with a gun is bad news? If she didn't see her playing with the gun, would she at least make sure guns are never put within reach? Maybe in a gun locker with a lock and stored without bullets and even have the safety on?
4: Maybe put some blame on the guy who put a loaded gun within the reach of his daughter before blaming it all on video games?

Assassin Xaero said:
Yeah, because some dumbass leaving a loaded pistol on a table within the reach of a 3 year old, and with the safety off, is really because of a Wii.
Well, of course it is. In all the games I have played I have never once ended the game by storing away my game safely with the safety on. Games should be more realistic and teach us that we have to do that! Games have failed to teach us thus they are guilty of murder!

Douk said:
We don't even know if they own a wii.

My thought exactly. I had to read the original article just because I wanted to know if they had one. The article didn't mention if they had one or not so that was half a minute I'm never getting back.

This is truly sad though. Both the death of a young girl caused by neglect from parents and another blow to video games. A sad case of neglect and carelessness is excused by blaming the thing that always get blamed when bad parenting is the cause to accidental kills or even intentional kills.

CivilWar

Dec 5, 2009
Cheesebob said:
I once tried to stab someone with a knife.

Turned out it was a wiimote. Damn did I have egg on my face that day.
A lot like that time I tried driving my car with a Mario Kart Steering Wheel.

thebackupfreak

Jan 25, 2010
GHMonkey said:
thebackupfreak said:
GHMonkey said:
tkioz said:
Okay I'm going to act like a bastard here, I feel sorry for the family, but honestly as a rare duck, a gun owner from childhood, and a gamer, I'm going to be blunt.

Fucking Idiots. That's it. They Are FUCKING IDIOTS. The Parents are FUCKING MORONS! Here is the rules of gun safety I learnt as a 5 year old.

1) Treat Every Firearm as if loaded, even when proven otherwise (that means don't point it at shit you moron)
2) Only aim at something you intend to shoot
3) When not using the firearm secure it safely in a locked gun cabinet of some kind, separate from the ammunition. YOU NEVER LEAVE THEM LOADED.

It's fucking simple, those are the core rules of gun safety, anyone who doesn't follow them in their own home is a fucking moron, I'm not blaming the kid, I'm blaming the stupid parents, you don't leave guns laying around you moronic twits, ever, you don't leave them loaded, ever, you don't let little kids touch them EVER.

The man should be locked away for life. fucking twit.
THANK YOU! IM NOT ALONE!!
thebackupfreak said:
How many more vulnerable people will have to die before gun controls will be tightened or even completely revoked? Speaking as a Brit, I just don't understand why this has been allowed to go on for so long. Blame may not lie with the parents, regardless of all the speculation on this thread, but with a government and a society that is too attatched to an old and outdated ideal about personal defence. Until more people in America wake up to why this problem exists, there will continue to be horrific and tragic accidents like this every day.
well since we are on the topic of generalizations. lets ban soccer while were at it since it seem that everytime there is a soccer match it britan there seems to be a riot.
Fine. It was a generalisation. But, whereas the problems behind rioting in football stadiums has been partially solved (tackling the social problems behind hooliganism, modification of policing policies, etc.), the gun problem in America has stagnated. Roughly 12000 people every year in America are killed by people with privately owned guns, working out to a little over 30 people every day. Hmm. Maybe I'm not generalising.

And really, where do you expect these people to be killed? Yes, some will be in tough inner-city districts, and yes, some will be isolated incidents with obscure details. But some will always happen in quiet little suburban neighbourhoods with tragic outcomes such as this. But what the fuck do I know? Very little evidently, but if you believe that it is a worthwhile trade-off to lose thousands of lives every year in return for the unrestricted right to own and carry a 9-millimetre semiautomatic handgun or an assault rifle, then I pity you and your backwards culture and train of thought. Oh, and tkioz, I hear that if you repeat your advice enough, then it will bring back the victims.
you are apparently unfamiliar with concealed carry laws as well purchasing laws of handguns. you cannot purchase pistols like your buying cookies. a 3 day waiting period is mandatory as well as local police and FBI background checks. not only that but you also have to register said firearms into ATF and HLS databases to be logged. your claim that thousands of lives lost to these firearms, did you take into account how many of those were illegal and smuggled. please also note the fully automatic weapons are extremely difficult to obtain, requiring permits that need to be updated yearly as well as more intensive background check required for hand guns.

hey, i also here if you get into more people faces and say shit to people like that last line, it makes you seem like less intolerant.

now i do respect your opinion in this matter as it is delicate, at least it was well put.
Yes, it was seriously uncool of me to say that, and I apologise. However, my wider point wasn't about laws on concealment and purchase (which I have to admit I'm woefully ignorant), just about it seemingly being a bad idea to be able to buy guns at all. If they are available and people buy them, it just seems like it is a foregone conclusion that people will die in unfortunate circumstances. Guns kill people, and no matter of controls on them will stop them from doing just what they are designed to do.

VoidEternal

Mar 2, 2010
WaterlessSnake said:
I'm sorry life doesn't matter to you void and I'm sorry for the things you say you have been through. But it does matter to me and it does effect people. And yes nazi's believe natural selection. I'm not saying people who believe that are Nazi's, I'm not some book burning preacher. But they thought they were superior and that gave them the right to decided who died or not. They made a joke of life and made others lives mean nothing. It was nothing for them to kill someone because that person didn't matter to them. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion either and some of the points you make I agree with. But dude, it's not that little girls fault. She didn't deserve to die because you say she wasn't smart enough to live. I'm not a religous person and I don't believe absolute anything good or evil. A little kid doesn't know any better though. I'm a big enough man to to admit I'm wrong. I hope you know though that your life matters too and yeah it won't effect the universe if you, me or anyone else died today but that is not important and that doesn't even matter because it would effect the people we are close to and that we love and all of us being alive IS all that matters.
It's very adult of you to come out like that. But I must point out a couple things that seem to confuse me. First off, you went on the complete offensive to begin with, throwing our names and insults like they were the daily paper, and now you decide it's time to take the neutral flower child stance? This really takes away from the words you're typing.

Secondly, on the Nazi subject. No one here chose that girl's fate. Nor do they think they're superior. On the same note, I'm sure no one here would go out and start killing just because they think they are better. But, sadly, in the end of all things, the only life that matters, is your own. You are the only person who can take care of yourself. Hospitals, and family aside, if those things didn't exist, you'd have only yourself. If you survive, you're alone. If you're dependent, then you will fall.

Thirdly, I never said that she deserved her fate. Nor did I agree with anyone else who might've said that. I said she paid the price for her parent's failings. HER parents. Natural Selection wasn't on her side, because her genetic care-takers didn't take into consideration the repercussions of such a simple mistake. Being in the military, I found out quickly how such a simple mistake like losing a bullet, or a wrench could turn out catastrophic at the very least.

Lastly, for someone who is now saying that even MY life is important, you certainly weren't preaching that piddle earlier when you said I would deserve my own death, and I'm the same kind of scum bag as the parents. I did say, when I die, my family would be sad. But, their lives will still go on. I highly doubt anyone close to me will end their own life because I died. And the same goes for around the world. Some people will kill themselves, others will live in denial, and the rest will eventually get over it to some, or a complete degree.

It's important to know that life is precious, including yours. If you can't go on with death all around you, then you're not fit to live. You have to learn, adapt, and survive. You can think that we're some superior species or race compared to other animals simply because we have "higher thought" and are capable of emotions, but at the core we're still animals. Self-preservation, reproduction, and continuing our existence. You can't change the world works. Unless you have the gull and ability to destroy everything we've known, and everything that's made us what we are. Accept reality for what it is.

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Guns don't kill people.

Videogames kill people.........with guns!
Excellent man.

On topic: That's tragic. Stupid parents. Also, stupid over-availability of guns.

WaterlessSnake

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah I shouldn't have attacked anyone or said some of the things I said. And as for you Void I wasn't even talking about you nessesarily. Sorry I took your words out of context. I've been reading these nasty comments people have posted all day long and some of them seem to take real pleasure in what happened to that kid and thats why I was so angry to begin with. It made me sick to my stomach, the whole fucked up situation. I actually copied and pasted what I typed earlier this morning so it wasn't even about you when I originly wrote it. I don't even usually type on these things because I hate getting drawn into these kind of arguments. I was just so angry about the comments this morning though, some people were saying she deserved it because she was stupid and that just enraged me. I know I'm a walking contridiction when I say all life is precious and then " kill the parents" I'm sorry for misjudging you Void, I can tell you got alot going on up there and that you do care after all. I knew I was wrong when I said I hope no one would care about you because thats not true, I hope you have alot of people that care about you. Take care fella.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
We haven't had the important question answered, do they even own a Wii?

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
If this is true, then everyone in this story is an idiot. The mother for not watching her kid, the stepfather for leaving a loaded gun on a table in the reach of the 3 yearold and the kid for not knowing the difference between a plastic remote and an actual gun.

But the father obviously shot the kid, mirite?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
tsb247 said:
Sovvolf said:
That or murder. I think they killed the girl and are trying to cover it up. I know it sounds paranoid but it's possible. Guns can be pretty heavy depending on the type of guns, even hand guns, A 3 year old would probably have difficulty picking one up let alone pulling the trigger. Setting a loaded gun with the safety turned off is also and impossibly dumb move, let alone setting it down on a table where a child can get there hands on it. Having a parent in the same room as the incident but not doing any thing about it?, come on how would you not?. Do you have kids?, would you let your child or any other three year old ever pick up a loaded gun?, even to be cute?. You wouldn't nor would any sane person on this planet. I'm reckoning a murder here.

Though I could be wrong and it could just be an accident.
I thought about that. However, the article specified a .380 caliber pistol was the weapon that ended the young girl's life. .380 is a typical caliber of 'pocket pistols' and sub-compact semi-auto handguns similar to this:

It is concievable that a child could mistake something this small and made of polymer (plastic) for a toy. Sub-compacts/pocket pistols also (generally) have a lighter trigger pull due to having smaller springs in them and smaller trigger mechanisms. This is yet another reason why handguns (especially small ones!) should be secured in some way.
True they could but I highly doubt as a Wii remote, 3 year old's aren't as stupid as people think. Trust me as a pseudo-father to a 3 year old girl, she knows the difference. I still wouldn't rule out murder I mean I just can't believe some one would be as stupid as to leave a loaded, cocked gun with safety off within arms reach of a child. Nor can I believe that the parents wouldn't have noticed the child with the gun. I may just be paranoid but it just doesn't seem like an accident.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
"It wasn't our fault that out kid shot herself, we're GREAT parents! She obviously thought it was a wii-remote, this is all videogames fault not ours!"

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Austin MacKenzie said:
Just remember, when you leave a gun unsecured and out on the table, and it ends in the death of your child, surely videogames are to blame.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Some people are just bad parents. Why on earth would you leave a loaded weapon on a table with a three year old around!

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Proteus214 said:
They left a gun...

On the table...

Loaded...

With a 3-year-old in the house...

How stupid could they possibly be?!
It was probably just laxity, not stupidity. Still a great example of why gun safety is important, though.

OT: Jeez, that's just terrible... I'd imagine the family doesn't want to deal with the possibility that they alone are responsible for their daughter's death, so they use video games as a scapegoat. Understandable, but not very smart.

Fenrir45

Mar 21, 2009
Why did the stepfather have a loaded gun on the table in the first place? Was the family playing russian roulette?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Fenrir45 said:
Why did the stepfather have a loaded gun on the table in the first place? Was the family playing russian roulette?
There actually was a Darwin Award issued to someone for playing Russian roulette with an automatic.

Fenrir45

Mar 21, 2009
Starke said:
Fenrir45 said:
There actually was a Darwin Award issued to someone for playing Russian roulette with an automatic.
Yeah I heard about that, a bit retarded aye?

May 6, 2009
Iron Mal said:
...you can cite 'self defense' all you want but then we should remember that you've still killed someone, you're just as bad as your 'attacker' even though you may not have intended it).
After you said this I realized that I was talking to such an idealistic pacifist you can't possibly qualify as a rational human being to me. If you think a woman shooting an attempted rapist or a father protecting his family from home invaders is morally equivalent to murder, we have nothing to discuss.

May 6, 2009
GHMonkey said:
thebackupfreak said:
GHMonkey said:
tkioz said:
Okay I'm going to act like a bastard here, I feel sorry for the family, but honestly as a rare duck, a gun owner from childhood, and a gamer, I'm going to be blunt.

Fucking Idiots. That's it. They Are FUCKING IDIOTS. The Parents are FUCKING MORONS! Here is the rules of gun safety I learnt as a 5 year old.

1) Treat Every Firearm as if loaded, even when proven otherwise (that means don't point it at shit you moron)
2) Only aim at something you intend to shoot
3) When not using the firearm secure it safely in a locked gun cabinet of some kind, separate from the ammunition. YOU NEVER LEAVE THEM LOADED.

It's fucking simple, those are the core rules of gun safety, anyone who doesn't follow them in their own home is a fucking moron, I'm not blaming the kid, I'm blaming the stupid parents, you don't leave guns laying around you moronic twits, ever, you don't leave them loaded, ever, you don't let little kids touch them EVER.

The man should be locked away for life. fucking twit.
THANK YOU! IM NOT ALONE!!
thebackupfreak said:
How many more vulnerable people will have to die before gun controls will be tightened or even completely revoked? Speaking as a Brit, I just don't understand why this has been allowed to go on for so long. Blame may not lie with the parents, regardless of all the speculation on this thread, but with a government and a society that is too attatched to an old and outdated ideal about personal defence. Until more people in America wake up to why this problem exists, there will continue to be horrific and tragic accidents like this every day.
well since we are on the topic of generalizations. lets ban soccer while were at it since it seem that everytime there is a soccer match it britan there seems to be a riot.
Fine. It was a generalisation. But, whereas the problems behind rioting in football stadiums has been partially solved (tackling the social problems behind hooliganism, modification of policing policies, etc.), the gun problem in America has stagnated. Roughly 12000 people every year in America are killed by people with privately owned guns, working out to a little over 30 people every day. Hmm. Maybe I'm not generalising.

And really, where do you expect these people to be killed? Yes, some will be in tough inner-city districts, and yes, some will be isolated incidents with obscure details. But some will always happen in quiet little suburban neighbourhoods with tragic outcomes such as this. But what the fuck do I know? Very little evidently, but if you believe that it is a worthwhile trade-off to lose thousands of lives every year in return for the unrestricted right to own and carry a 9-millimetre semiautomatic handgun or an assault rifle, then I pity you and your backwards culture and train of thought. Oh, and tkioz, I hear that if you repeat your advice enough, then it will bring back the victims.
you are apparently unfamiliar with concealed carry laws as well purchasing laws of handguns. you cannot purchase pistols like your buying cookies. a 3 day waiting period is mandatory as well as local police and FBI background checks. not only that but you also have to register said firearms into ATF and HLS databases to be logged. your claim that thousands of lives lost to these firearms, did you take into account how many of those were illegal and smuggled. please also note the fully automatic weapons are extremely difficult to obtain, requiring permits that need to be updated yearly as well as more intensive background check required for hand guns.

hey, i also here if you get into more people faces and say shit to people like that last line, it makes you seem like less intolerant.

now i do respect your opinion in this matter as it is delicate, at least it was well put.
I think you're extrapolating rules of your state as indicative of the whole. I used to be a Tennessean with 10 guns and I never waited a mandatory three days for any of them, nor are any registered. Background checks are instant in many states. The only time I ever failed to walk out of a gun store with the gun I wanted the first day was a time I wanted a different grip and had to wait for the store to order one with the option I wanted. I'm on your side here, but whenever either side of a debate puts forth inaccurate information it just leaves holes for the other side to exploit in future arguments.

And yes, anti-gun people conveniently forget that fully automatic weapons have been severely restricted since 1934. What they call "assault rifles" as we all know are called that based on purely cosmetic features that have no bearing on the machine's function.