Child of Eden Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Child of Eden Review

A finely-tuned shooter that's as lovely as it is challenging.

Read Full Article

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Wait, what? kinect is the better controller option? You know, I like the sound of that. the more I think about it that does seem better.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
This was the first game to justify the purchase of the Kinect for me and I've waited for it since Christmas, but I can promise you the wait was worth it. My living room always has curtains up so the recognition wasn't an issue for me, and the degree of control I felt I had was spectacular! The music is great, and once you understand that you have to play in time with the music your multiplier will start sky-rocketing.

My only problem was the tutorial. I had no idea I could lock on to multiple enemies at first, so I looked like I was having a seizure pumping my hand forward one at a time.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I just got my copy last night, and it is quite an experience. Kinect may be a little less accurate at first, but once you get the hang of it, it just feels like the right way to play it. Easily the best experience on Kinect, thought my wife may disagree (she loves Dance Central, which I put second to this). The hardest thing for me was resisting the urge to raise both hands at the same time. You basically have to keep the arm you're not using straight down. I had a few issues which it thinking that I switched to my left hand because it raised up a bit when I got excited naturally. It just feels really good to pump your hand in time with the beat when you get into it. I also really love the combination of live-action footage of the girl with the colourful cyberspace art of the game. I can only imagine what playing this on acid might be like...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dorkmaster Flek said:
I just got my copy last night, and it is quite an experience. Kinect may be a little less accurate at first, but once you get the hang of it, it just feels like the right way to play it. Easily the best experience on Kinect, thought my wife may disagree (she loves Dance Central, which I put second to this). The hardest thing for me was resisting the urge to raise both hands at the same time. You basically have to keep the arm you're not using straight down. I had a few issues which it thinking that I switched to my left hand because it raised up a bit when I got excited naturally. It just feels really good to pump your hand in time with the beat when you get into it. I also really love the combination of live-action footage of the girl with the colourful cyberspace art of the game. I can only imagine what playing this on acid might be like...
The secondary control scheme for Kinect is to clap to switch weapons, which works quite well, even though it feels a bit silly.

diggy140892

Jun 4, 2010
I've played it and it is good but it doesn't deserve 5 stars in my opinion, there just isn't enough content in the game to give it such a high score. But it is a very unique and fun experience.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
diggy140892 said:
I've played it and it is good but it doesn't deserve 5 stars in my opinion, there just isn't enough content in the game to give it such a high score. But it is a very unique and fun experience.
The replay value is immense, though.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I wish kinect would get more games like this and those dancing ones. Y'know, games specifically made with motion control in mind right from the start. It would certainly make more sense than Microsoft running about shoving it in unwelcome places.

'Cause I would happily buy this if I had a kinect.

And a Xbox360.

And a TV.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
OutrageousEmu said:
I tried using this with Kinect at a convention the other day. Horrendous experience. It felt like I was fighting against the controls. The Kinect feature really is the way to play this?
If you have the proper set up, yes, absolutely, no question. But if the calibration is off - if there's too much light, for example - then you wind up with an experience like the one you had. I was constantly wrestling with Kinect when I played this at home (in a room with too much sunlight), but once I tried it in a room with no windows, it was absolutely perfect and I had no problems at all. The distance you stand from the Kinect also seems to make a lot of difference - the closer the better, I find.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmmm... a game that could quite fairly be considered odd is released, and Susan is the one to review it. Funny how it always seems to work out that way. :)

If I had a Kinect, this would likely be a must buy for me. I, however, don't have a Kinect.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Is it wrong to admit that the main reason I want to get this game is that I was one of the people lucky enough to have their photo put in the final level?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vault Citizen said:
Is it wrong to admit that the main reason I want to get this game is that I was one of the people lucky enough to have their photo put in the final level?
Not wrong at all! Also, jealoussssssss....

StriderShinryu said:
Hmmm... a game that could quite fairly be considered odd is released, and Susan is the one to review it. Funny how it always seems to work out that way. :)

If I had a Kinect, this would likely be a must buy for me. I, however, don't have a Kinect.
I know. Crazy how that works out, innit? The game is still plenty fun with a regular controller, so while Kinect is the better way to play, a controller is by no means a bad way to play.

fabiosooner

Sep 3, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
I tried using this with Kinect at a convention
Kinect and conventions simply don't mix. Usually it's either too much or too little lightning when compared to the average living room. Not to mention the device isn't calibrated to recognize yourself specifically. While it does work in a way anyone can jump in front of it and play, I've noticed it always works better when it recognizes *you* as a registered user.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Vault Citizen said:
Not wrong at all! Also, jealoussssssss....
I'm currently searching the net for clips so I can see what they look like in game, do you know which bit the photos people submitted shows up in?

edit, found it, can't see mine but I got the email and sent all the forms so I should hopefully find it