Child of Eden Review

utopaline

Jan 28, 2011
I had been waiting for this game...bought it and absolutely love it. It was strange to get used to the controls, but once I did, totally addicted to it. Definitely 5/5 for me

uto

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
OutrageousEmu said:
I tried using this with Kinect at a convention the other day. Horrendous experience. It felt like I was fighting against the controls. The Kinect feature really is the way to play this?
If you have the proper set up, yes, absolutely, no question. But if the calibration is off - if there's too much light, for example - then you wind up with an experience like the one you had. I was constantly wrestling with Kinect when I played this at home (in a room with too much sunlight), but once I tried it in a room with no windows, it was absolutely perfect and I had no problems at all. The distance you stand from the Kinect also seems to make a lot of difference - the closer the better, I find.
I can also confirm this. There have been a couple times I haven't been able to play well with Kinect due to too much sunlight coming in (my living room blinds are kind of jacked up at the moment and don't work as well as they should) but later that evening it worked perfectly.

Also glad to see a review for this up finally. For some reason this game doesn't seem to be selling all that well which is a damn tragedy in my book. So it makes me that much happier to see it getting its due with critics :)

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Looks a bit like it would play as Panzer Dragoon; Orta. Which I loved.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Child of Eden Review

A finely-tuned shooter that's as lovely as it is challenging.

Read Full Article
While I can see how Kinect could add to this experience, surely we can appreciate the irony: Kinect has "liberated" us from controllers, yet so many of its game offerings are either stationary or on-the-rails. We've traded handcuffs for leg-irons, to my mind.

Games like this even further solidify the Kinect's status as "arcade gimmick," rather than "controller of the future."

(Unrelated: "...what all you need to be shooting?" Do I hear some North Carolina bleeding through?)

TomOfTheCross

Jun 23, 2009
SamuelT said:
Looks a bit like it would play as Panzer Dragoon; Orta. Which I loved.
The director used to work for Team Andromeda, who made the first 3 Panzer Dragoon games.

Also some people are complaining about the lack of content, the first two PD games could be played to completion in 3 hours.

Shooters like this are never meant to be long experiences, more something you do all at once.

Especially when it's very rhythm oriented like this or Rez.

I'm looking forward to Project Draco now.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dastardly said:
Susan Arendt said:
Child of Eden Review

A finely-tuned shooter that's as lovely as it is challenging.

Read Full Article
While I can see how Kinect could add to this experience, surely we can appreciate the irony: Kinect has "liberated" us from controllers, yet so many of its game offerings are either stationary or on-the-rails. We've traded handcuffs for leg-irons, to my mind.

Games like this even further solidify the Kinect's status as "arcade gimmick," rather than "controller of the future."

(Unrelated: "...what all you need to be shooting?" Do I hear some North Carolina bleeding through?)
Nah, I've always talked like that. :)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
You know you're in trouble when you get the "might could" comin' out. Or "used t'could." Or "fixin' to." As in, "We're fixin' t'go to the Wal-Mart. We might could get some McDonald's while we're there, but you used t'could get Subway."

(NC for most of my life. Never picked up the accent, but a few phrases leak out now and again.)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dastardly said:
Susan Arendt said:
You know you're in trouble when you get the "might could" comin' out. Or "used t'could." Or "fixin' to." As in, "We're fixin' t'go to the Wal-Mart. We might could get some McDonald's while we're there, but you used t'could get Subway."

(NC for most of my life. Never picked up the accent, but a few phrases leak out now and again.)
Yeahhhhh, I don't see that happening. Almost nobody who works here is actually from here, so it's more likely I'll pick up New York-isms or Texas-isms.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Dastardly said:
Susan Arendt said:

Yeahhhhh, I don't see that happening. Almost nobody who works here is actually from here, so it's more likely I'll pick up New York-isms or Texas-isms.
We might have to talk about your racist hiring practices. Yer stealin' arr jeeeerbs!

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Dastardly said:

It's not as if on rails games are a brand new restriction in games, it was just smart thinking to tailor the tech to a genre it could excel with ( like SaP 2 and HotD on wii.)

And if a controller is an "arcade gimmick" then you might as well say lite guns, joysticks and steering wheels are just as much "arcade gimmicks." Maybe a keyboard could be known as a "PC gimmick."

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
But does it work with the Trance Vibrator?

This actually looks kind of cool. If I saw a game like this in the arcade, I'd definitely play the hell out of it.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
Sheesh they could have called this Rez 2.0 and it would still rock. This is the closet to a sequel for that game and I for one may just by the kinect because is just that awesome of a game.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Wolfenbarg said:
But does it work with the Trance Vibrator?
There are drivers out there that make the Trance Vibrator work with a PC so maybe if you manage to have the sound output go through your computer you could do it.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I haven't played any such crazy music-related games, but i sure wish i had. This does look really interesting, and i have never got to try out Kinect. I could imagine this would be quite fun indeed...

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Seems they've brought over the one thing that really stood out for me in Rez: the fact that, no matter how long I watch it being played, I still have not the faintest clue of what's happening. Is that just me being really stupid, or is it the sort of thing that you need to play to understand?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ophiuchus said:
Seems they've brought over the one thing that really stood out for me in Rez: the fact that, no matter how long I watch it being played, I still have not the faintest clue of what's happening. Is that just me being really stupid, or is it the sort of thing that you need to play to understand?
Well, depends on what you're trying to understand. If it's the gameplay, doing it certainly helps you understand what's going on. If it's the story...yeah, nothing's helping with that.