Child of Eden Review

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
TomOfTheCross said:
SamuelT said:
Looks a bit like it would play as Panzer Dragoon; Orta. Which I loved.
The director used to work for Team Andromeda, who made the first 3 Panzer Dragoon games.

Also some people are complaining about the lack of content, the first two PD games could be played to completion in 3 hours.

Shooters like this are never meant to be long experiences, more something you do all at once.

Especially when it's very rhythm oriented like this or Rez.

I'm looking forward to Project Draco now.
I didn't know that about the Panzer Dragoon experience, in that case, I definitely want to give this a go.

What is Project Draco? The best Dragon game I've played lately is Divinity II.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Wolfenbarg said:
But does it work with the Trance Vibrator?

This actually looks kind of cool. If I saw a game like this in the arcade, I'd definitely play the hell out of it.
I remember reading that you can set extra controllers to be pretty much that, ala xbla version of Rez. I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet, though.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Dastardly said:
Susan Arendt said:
Child of Eden Review

A finely-tuned shooter that's as lovely as it is challenging.

Read Full Article
While I can see how Kinect could add to this experience, surely we can appreciate the irony: Kinect has "liberated" us from controllers, yet so many of its game offerings are either stationary or on-the-rails. We've traded handcuffs for leg-irons, to my mind.

Games like this even further solidify the Kinect's status as "arcade gimmick," rather than "controller of the future."

(Unrelated: "...what all you need to be shooting?" Do I hear some North Carolina bleeding through?)
eww, north carolina, why would anyone on want to live there?[/sarcasm as i am moving there next tuesday]

on topic, while i understand there in an audience for this game, i don't know if I could play it what with the disco lights and clapping my hands to shoot my music lasers at the internet whales. There is something very Ecco the Dolphin-esque about this game.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Halo Fanboy said:
It's not as if on rails games are a brand new restriction in games, it was just smart thinking to tailor the tech to a genre it could excel with ( like SaP 2 and HotD on wii.)
No doubt. On-the-rails gaming has a rich history, and it isn't a bad type of game. That's not at all the point I was making. My point is that the whole selling point of the Kinect was "freedom." And yet the majority of its game offerings work as on-the-rails experiences, so it's just trading one limitation (the controller) for another (the rails).

If it were marketed as "a new way to experience on-the-rails games," I wouldn't be saying a thing. But when it's marketed as the next big thing, and how it's freeing us for a whole new type of game experience? Well... it doesn't. It just gives us a new way to experience an old type of game.

And if a controller is an "arcade gimmick" then you might as well say lite guns, joysticks and steering wheels are just as much "arcade gimmicks." Maybe a keyboard could be known as a "PC gimmick."
Light guns and steering wheels are gimmicks. They are control devices specifically designed for a singular purpose, and the games that use them have some limitations inherent in the gameplay. Light gun = shooting game, and since it has no movement controls, you'll be on rails or stationary. Steering wheel = driving game, and since it has fewer buttons/knobs, you won't have as many different functions.

Keyboards, gamepads, and joysticks, on the other hand, are far more comprehensive controllers. They are highly adaptable, usable for nearly any type of game. They are universal interface devices, not "gimmicks."

I think the problem here is that you take some kind of offense at the use of the word "gimmick," as though it were an insult. In the common use, it's just a gadget designed to show off one particular trick, rather than a gadget designed to be universally useful. Nothing wrong with them... but they're hardly about "freedom," or the future of gaming.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Finally! A reason to use the Kinect! Now mine won't have sit around gathering dust anymore!

feauxx

Commandah
Sep 7, 2010
damn i need to get this one! great review. been loving the kinect already with dance central and fitness evolved and this seems like a great game.

Ryu890

May 28, 2011
Brutally honest review, ignore if you feel like it:

Ah, much better. This makes me both want to buy the game(if i owned a 360 and Kinect), as well as making me smile in reguards to the humor. It feels much less like 'Hey! Look at me! I'm funny!' then it does you making idle commentary. (I'm refferring specifically to your reaction to the storyline.)

*nods* Very well done.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
<3

It sucks that I have to wait for the PS3 release, but I think it'll be worth it.

Doesn't mean the wait isn't painful, though.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
l3o2828 said:
Could anyone tell me WHY this isn't being ported to PC? :V
Because it's a dirty console game which the PC master race does not want a part of ;)

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
it looks good and fun and susan arendt good and yes why not on that how you do what that's not what no more of that hope it's not too hard

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Shycte said:
l3o2828 said:
Could anyone tell me WHY this isn't being ported to PC? :V
Because it's a dirty console game which the PC master race does not want a part of ;)
but i want it! *cries like a Master Race Pc Gamer Baby*

Mr C

May 8, 2008
It seems game consumers continue to ignore all that is good and new in the world. 34,000 sold in the states in the first month. A bit of word of mouth guys. This game is one of the best I've played in a long time.

Spread the word, if Child of Eden continues to fall flat on it's face I've heard Tetsuya Mizuguchi will admit that all us dumb shits want to play is contemporary war simulators. He claims to have sent his CV to Bobby Kotick already.