Child of Light Review - Light Entertainment

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Child of Light Review - Light Entertainment

An overwhelmingly likable little RPG, even if it is a touch on the twee side.

Read Full Article

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
That combat sounds kind of like Grandia, by which I mean that whole shared action bar mechanic.
But man the game looks gorgeous. It could almost be worth buying for that alone.
I'm probably gonna get it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good to know that the game sound good for the most part as I had preorder this Wednesday as I was sold on the artstyle alone!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
you know, one has to appreciate ubisoft, yeah they are one of the bloated AAA publishers, but the are easily the least terrible

they care for their franchises, as demostrated by their revival of rayman (they didnt turn it into a shooter!), and are willing to experiment with unconventional ideas, as demostrated by this game and blood dragon

raikounen

Sep 8, 2010
Not to try to quote today's Jimquisition, but personally I'd love to play this game on the Vita.
Turn based RPG's are a really good fit for handhelds, just see "Fire Emblem: Awakening" and "Bravely Default".

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
Combat sounds exactly like the Grandia series. Grandia's system was clever, so technically so is Child of Light's, but giving no mention of Grandia makes it sound like this game invented it.

Heck, the developer just straight out says it comes from Grandia 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw7shkOpjZg&feature=youtu.be&t=2m25s

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I want this game a lot, someone gift it to me for I am poor.(That's a joke folks)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I had little doubt that this would be great, now just gotta wait till friday. Is this a full retail release or digital xbla style release?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm strapped for cash at the moment, so I'm torn between this and Blackwell Epiphany and have no idea what to choose D:

I had a feeling it would be great, though, I'll definitely get it at some point.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
It should be noted, I think, that Child of Light can be played co-op as well, with a second player controlling the firefly character. It was designed to let parents and small children play together, similar to (and better than, in my opinion) the co-op mechanics in the Super Mario Galaxy series. Given the game's themes, this mechanic adds an interesting bit of dimension and subtext to the characters without fundamentally altering them.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Yargh, both "Far Cry 3" and this make me reconsider my anti-UPlay stance. I just don't want yet ANOTHER DRM system on my computer.

Damn you Ubisoft for your good games and your anti-consumerist ways!

Jacob Wisner

Mar 10, 2012
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Yargh, both "Far Cry 3" and this make me reconsider my anti-UPlay stance. I just don't want yet ANOTHER DRM system on my computer.

Damn you Ubisoft for your good games and your anti-consumerist ways!
Seriously. I want to keep hating them... but they keep taking chances and/or making games I actually end up liking. It's not fair! Why can't they learn from EA and just commit to being evil and bad at what they do?