Chilean PS3 Ad Shows Gamer Giving Blood to Nazi Officer

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Maybe its Sonys way of saying the PS3 is so awesome that you will be willing to give your blood and heart for it.....I don't really know, but it is fun looking at these and trying to figure the ad out.

Nov 5, 2007
Sony Marketing Guy 1: Hey guys, you know who Chilean loves. Rommel and Jeanne of Arc.
Sony Marketing Guy 2: Totally, let's do this.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
George144 said:
Megacherv said:
No! It's about you being in the game. Think about it, your blood or heart being transferred into a person from the past, that could, ooh say, be featured in a FUCKING GAME! Besides, this is just Sony in that region, not all of Sony.
The transferring blood thing kinda makes sense, but why a Nazi? Surely an action hero/heroine would have made a lot more sense rather then what's likely to be the villain in a game if he ever appeared in one.
Who the fuck cares? Everyone knows that the consoles are nothing like that, it's common-fucking-sense.

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
You know, sometimes I think Sony's Ad department just gets bored and does stuff like this for shits and giggles. Either that or they're absolutely, irrevocably insane...

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
When I first saw these two ads I thought they were advertisements for the next Silent Hill game. The nurses looks a bit creepy and in the Joan-of-Arc pic notice that the gamers legs are locked down.

Also, in most WWII games, you are spilling Nazi blood, not donating it to them.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Megacherv said:
George144 said:
Megacherv said:
No! It's about you being in the game. Think about it, your blood or heart being transferred into a person from the past, that could, ooh say, be featured in a FUCKING GAME! Besides, this is just Sony in that region, not all of Sony.
The transferring blood thing kinda makes sense, but why a Nazi? Surely an action hero/heroine would have made a lot more sense rather then what's likely to be the villain in a game if he ever appeared in one.
Who the fuck cares? Everyone knows that the consoles are nothing like that, it's common-fucking-sense.
yes, but you must ask yourself, when mother's see that, will they use common sense.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
My first thought was that it's an artistic metaphor playing on the countless WW2 games on the market. Essentially that we've become fanatics of the genre. But the Jean d' Arc ad has me baffled. Not sure of the recurring theme other than donors for historic figures... let's make a rundown. CAUTION: The following is unadulterated rambling, and I don't know if it's going to go anywhere. I will put things I deem potentially relevant and not obvious in bold.

It's very apparent that in both pictures, two nurses are helping gamers donate heart and blood to these people. Both of these things are often spiritual in meaning and likely contribute to the message. For both players, the character portrayed is to their right. In gaming, the far left is relative to "Player 1" and the port on the right, next to it as "Player 2". Perhaps this is to portray a gamer-type camaraderie between the gamer and figure, which also explains the gamers looking at the figures and smiling. Also, you can see the same white bowl in each photo. I imagine this is an important fact. There's also a little bottle of oil (?) on the end tables in each photo On to the differences... In the Nazi photo, the nurses appear very attentive. One is looking at the bowl and the other at the patient, both with calm faces. In the Jean photo, they don't look as professional. The one holding the bloody rope is staring off into the distance, while the other seems to be looking at the bowl. This brings a new comparison: A nurse in each photo is looking at the white bowl. Now let's compare the figures themselves: Erwin Rommel and Joan d' Arc. Both Erwin and Joan were admirable military leaders in time of war. Both of them died at the hands of the courthouse, under less than fair circumstances.

So what we see is two very similar pictures of modern gamers making very fanatic/ affectionate donations to admirable commanders who met their ends in unjust courthouses. The white bowl and oil bottle are also likely has some significance, and is acknowledged by the nurses in both ads.

My theory is that it shows how gamers admire valiant commanders, since playing a game is also a form of controlling fighters. The bowl and glass are still in question to me, but it also means to portray gamers fueling their friends, the historic commanders. Why? I'm not sure. If anyone can add onto what I have or help piece this together, I'd appreciate it. I really think there's a hidden message in this.

EmeraldGreen

Professional Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Monshroud said:
Which is why my interpretation of the ad was: If you buy a PS3, the Nazis are going to need all the blood transfusions they can get!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Sony's trying to say that their product can immerse you in the game world, I do believe.

Besides that, what I read of Rommel, he was a genuinely decent fellow, more German than Nazi.
I can see how someone would object to those swastikas, though.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
EmeraldGreen said:
Monshroud said:
Which is why my interpretation of the ad was: If you buy a PS3, the Nazis are going to need all the blood transfusions they can get!
Well maybe, but they sure as hell wouldn't be getting them from me! =)

Jun 6, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
A little off-topic: I really respected Rommel as a commander. I'd love to study more on him in the future.

OT: What are they trying to say? I amreally confused here.
Oh thank god about the Erwin Rommel thing. I thought I was all alonw with that. Plus, I don't get it either.

sethwood

Sep 25, 2009
Ah come on guys. All Sony wanted to do was to raise sales among Nazis and KKK member customers. And for that, I applaud them. Because, if racists can't kill people they hate in games, they'll start doing it in real life. God, sony is dumb.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Did anyone over there bother to find out what kind of a man Erwin Rommel was?
A soldier, not a nazi. He cannot be called a nazi, as he was, at no point, a member of the nazi party. He had a clean recors as far as generals so. He was noted for treating POWs well, opposing old man Adolf both militaristcally and ideologically- HE WASN'T A DAMN NAZI!

Anyway, not sony nor the people complaining probably thought of that. I suppose the marketing department had a rather clever idea, which was screwed up by an overenthusiastic art director. Putting a swastika just anywhere is going to cause a stir.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Well Rommel is a Magnificent Bastard and all but uh...this is um...

...you know I don't actually have a comment about it. Sony's ad campaigns are so psychotic that I've become desensitized to anything they come up with.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
well wasn't Joan of arc supposedly a hero? at least for the french?. though I guess it still doesn't balance out with donating blood to a nazi, strange time to be a PS3 Owner.
ebenso lange, wie sie nicht denken, dass wir Nazistische Sympathisanten sind

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Sign I spend too much time on the internet: I instantly knew what page the Magnificent Bastard hyperlink was going to take me to.