Chilean PS3 Ad Shows Gamer Giving Blood to Nazi Officer

aebonhawk

Apr 29, 2009
Just to put it out there. Erwin Rommel actually wasn't a Nazi. He never joined Nazi party. He outright rejected the Third Reich policies against Jews and he deliberately defied Hitlers famous "commando order". He was a loyal German but not a Nazi.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Megacherv said:
No! It's about you being in the game. Think about it, your blood or heart being transferred into a person from the past, that could, ooh say, be featured in a FUCKING GAME! Besides, this is just Sony in that region, not all of Sony.
Yes, I see it... BUT IT STILL DOESN'T SELL THE BLOODY PRODUCT ARGH I THOUGHT THAT SONY KNEW WHAT THEY HAD BEEN DOING WRONG BUT NOOOO

...grr...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Crazzee said:
SODAssault said:
Well... I gotta admit... Erwin Rommel was a pretty cool guy.
eh was a Nazi respected by the allies and doesn't afraid of anything?

OT: Yeah, reading a bit about him just now, Rommel was awesome, but that's kind of beside the point. I kind of can tell what's going on here, but I'm sure most people won't instantly recognize the guy as Rommel, and, the Nazi commander would be the ENEMY if anything. The Joan of Ark one made more sense, but it was much more creepy.
Pretty much this. I wouldn't recognise the guy as Rommel if you showed me his picture. To me it's just another Nazi, which makes the advert quite perplexing.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Rommel......PS3......Rommel......PS3.......Rommel.....Waffles!

But seriously, what's the connection?

ryanharish

Sep 30, 2009
Who the hell is desing this game.I would meet him/her once a time in my life.They think the buyer are fools.fuck off

Acai Berry Detox

roethle

Jul 29, 2009
Yeah Patton would have been better, Chile ended up siding with the Allies during world war 2.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks that they're all brilliant adverts? Such striking images always stick in my head, I loved the "take a running jump here" advert for the PSP. Admittedly I didn't buy a PSP but that's besides the point.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
VanityGirl said:
Spitfire175 said:
Did anyone over there bother to find out what kind of a man Erwin Rommel was?
A soldier, not a nazi. He cannot be called a nazi, as he was, at no point, a member of the nazi party. He had a clean recors as far as generals so. He was noted for treating POWs well, opposing old man Adolf both militaristcally and ideologically- HE WASN'T A DAMN NAZI!

Anyway, not sony nor the people complaining probably thought of that. I suppose the marketing department had a rather clever idea, which was screwed up by an overenthusiastic art director. Putting a swastika just anywhere is going to cause a stir.
In all honesty, how many people would look at that advertisement and say, "Hey, that's Erwin Rommel, what a swell guy."
I took a glance at it, which is what many people do to advertisements, and if no one told me that was Erwin Rommel, I would have never known. In that picture, it does look like a gamer giving blood to a regular Nazi. That's why it's controversial.

To any mom or dad looking at the advert, they'll think that Sony's a bunch of loons. Parents might not buy it just because of that advertisement.

Off topic: I know he was never a Nazi. He was not even tried for war crimes because everyone knew he was a standup guy. He actually opposed Hitler. :)
In case you didn't read my post, you just said what I meant.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Spitfire175 said:
A soldier, not a nazi. He cannot be called a nazi, as he was, at no point, a member of the nazi party. He had a clean recors as far as generals so. He was noted for treating POWs well, opposing old man Adolf both militaristcally and ideologically- HE WASN'T A DAMN NAZI!

Anyway, not sony nor the people complaining probably thought of that. I suppose the marketing department had a rather clever idea, which was screwed up by an overenthusiastic art director. Putting a swastika just anywhere is going to cause a stir.
In all honesty, how many people would look at that advertisement and say, "Hey, that's Erwin Rommel, what a swell guy."
I took a glance at it, which is what many people do to advertisements, and if no one told me that was Erwin Rommel, I would have never known. In that picture, it does look like a gamer giving blood to a regular Nazi. That's why it's controversial.

To any mom or dad looking at the advert, they'll think that Sony's a bunch of loons. Parents might not buy it just because of that advertisement.

Off topic: I know he was never a Nazi. He was not even tried for war crimes because everyone knew he was a standup guy. He actually opposed Hitler. :)
Another reason he wasn't at Nuremberg was because he was dead for almost a year by then.

Another general theme is that completely unrealistic treatment of severe injuries. A blood transfusion won't neutralize a cyanide pill(or a point blank shot to the head with a K98, depending on which theory believe) Neither will a heart transplant undo burn damage. Skin grafts might make more sense but that's harder to portray without making both the donator and the recipient look like they were on the receiving end of a Necron Gauss Rifle.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
FROGGEman2 said:
Megacherv said:
No! It's about you being in the game. Think about it, your blood or heart being transferred into a person from the past, that could, ooh say, be featured in a FUCKING GAME! Besides, this is just Sony in that region, not all of Sony.
Yes, I see it... BUT IT STILL DOESN'T SELL THE BLOODY PRODUCT ARGH I THOUGHT THAT SONY KNEW WHAT THEY HAD BEEN DOING WRONG BUT NOOOO

...grr...
I didn't buy it because of the adverts, I bought it because it's a fucking games console

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Megacherv said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Megacherv said:

...grr...
I didn't buy it because of the adverts, I bought it because it's a fucking games console
Yes, but I want the PS3 to do well, because if it does well then more games will be made for it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
WAHEY! Ah Sony, you never cease to give me entertainment... whether intentionally with awesome games, or unintentionally with moronic marketing schemes :p

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that they're all brilliant adverts? Such striking images always stick in my head, I loved the "take a running jump here" advert for the PSP. Admittedly I didn't buy a PSP but that's besides the point.
No, I like Sony's ads too. At least they might be worth watching whereas the standard fare ad simply is not.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Megacherv said:
Yes because donated blood or a single organ to someone puts you in their body rather then.. say... swapping brainwave patterns, hell they could have suspended belief and showed the person having his brain swapped into the nazi or Joan of Arc instead, it would have gotten such a message across much better.. but heres the better question... IN WHAT GAME D YOU PLAY AS A NAZI!? Theres WWII games multiplayer.. but then you could honestly replace a nazi character at that moment with anything... like an american, british, african, french soldier... ANYTHING but a Nazi XD

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Asehujiko said:
VanityGirl said:
Spitfire175 said:

Another reason he wasn't at Nuremberg was because he was dead for almost a year by then.

Another general theme is that completely unrealistic treatment of severe injuries. A blood transfusion won't neutralize a cyanide pill(or a point blank shot to the head with a K98, depending on which theory believe) Neither will a heart transplant undo burn damage. Skin grafts might make more sense but that's harder to portray without making both the donator and the recipient look like they were on the receiving end of a Necron Gauss Rifle.
Well I love how people go "Rommel was a decent man" Yes... one who fought on the side of hitler. If he was such a great guy, why didn't he surrender, sell all the nazi secrets to the americans and british in exchange for freedom AND to be put under protection, and aid killing that mass murdering fuck head hitler?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
Asehujiko said:
VanityGirl said:
Spitfire175 said:

Well I love how people go "Rommel was a decent man" Yes... one who fought on the side of hitler. If he was such a great guy, why didn't he surrender, sell all the nazi secrets to the americans and british in exchange for freedom AND to be put under protection, and aid killing that mass murdering fuck head hitler?
"tried to assasinate" now means "working for"?