China and the World of Tradecraft

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Destal said:
Between lead toys and making it incredibly hard to due business there, China is just such a joy to trade with.
This is what they get for being out of the loop for so long, back before they fell out of the trading world (if they were really in it in the 20th Century) lead wasn't banned from most countries, and world trade was just becoming a real concept with advances in transportation.
Whether or not they get their head out of their butt remains to be seen.
And Chinese aren't the only big gold farmers out there...look across the street to see more.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
China: So you guys want to make a simple switch of local isp's do you?

Blizzard: We sure do and boy howdy are we excited, and we don't expect any interruption of service!

China: *snickers* Right, do you want me to show you the red tape, or just freeze you in carbonite and drop you in a vat of red paint?

Blizzard: Wait, wah?

China: Carbonite it is! :)

*trap door opens*

Blizzard: AHHHHHhhhh[small]hhhhhh[/small]!!!

On a more questioning note, I thought all this had been resolved? What gives with this new development?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Very interesting article, while I had heard about this somewhat this was much more informative than internet rumors and hearsay.

Just a note, check the link at the end, it goes to a nonexistent page on Escapist instead of an external link.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Well, it's awful business practise for China, and everything, but I'm finding it hard to feel sympathy for anyone. I mean, WoW players can go on a different server, Activision Blizzard aren't exactly strapped for cash, and China's, well... China. It's the Chinese governing bodies that are making it difficult.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
China's trying to have their cake and eat it. They really want to control the spread of information and how their people interact. Communists, but with capitalist investments.

Mojave

Jul 22, 2009
Lonan said:
I'm surprised that so many intend to stop playing WoW because of this. It looks like they view it merely as a form of entertainment created by white devils who should be grateful and in awe that genetically superior Han Chinese would play something made by children. Even though I said that, I love the attitude! It seems like it was just a phase for many in China to play it that much.

Remember, also, that China was essentially used as a place to get resources from for a long time. It's people were utterly disregarded by Europeans who stomped on them like nothing. The most drab of people could not even begin to comprehend their hatred for the Western world. China kicks ass, and I'm not Chinese! They played your game for a bit, but now it has been waved aside! That's the same way they feel about the Western World (the most patriotic, I'm guessing).
Really? Is this just pestering white hegemony? I don't think so. However i do think that having your switch of isp needing 2 pre aprovements from governement facilities (who can take as long as they like in any country) is just looking to be important. "GAPP will suspend the approval process for all games from the foreign company until the disputes are settled to the satisfaction of the Chinese company." That's just wrong.

Anybody checked out those trade deficit numbers? While China only seemed like the best place to trade for a couple of years, trade has actually been snowballing since 1997, i never knew that...

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
ubercow29 said:
Commies SUCK!!!!!!!
Is this 1970? :s Ah well, at least there'll be some alright music for the next decade, but I'm killing myself come the eighties...

As for the actual topic, it's a shame, but couldn't Blizzard just improve their Taiwanese servers and let the Chinese players play on them? Come to think of it, couldn't companies do much the same thing for Australia?