China... instead of Iran

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Brisbane
So one of the rumours coming out of the White House is using Iran, instead of The US, to peace keep in Afghanistan. It's was meant to encourage them to be more engaging with the real world... mainly because sanctions have failed. Biden is trying a... creative solution.

Now a new rumor has come out... China. Sanctions haven't worked. The trade war didn't either. And the Taliban attacks China... so...

The best thing I can say is - this is at least novel. We will see if it actuallt happens

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like Iran and China want to hunt dissidents hiding in Afghanistan.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 20, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, it seems kind of inevitable really. China has made very clear that it considers central Asia to be part of its sphere of influence.

Although it is incredibly depressing that we are moving back into an age where "spheres of influence" are a thing.

Gethsemani

Hardcore Feminazi
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
Sweden
Although it is incredibly depressing that we are moving back into an age where "spheres of influence" are a thing.
I am not sure it was ever not a thing. There was only a brief period of a decade or so when the USA and NATO where so hegemonic that no one else could realistically stake their sphere of influence. Russia was quick to begin again though, first in Georgia in 2008 and after that increasingly aggressively against its western neighbors. China has been ramping up its protection and expansion of its sphere of influence for the last decade too, especially in terms of contesting the South China Sea and pushing against the limitations imposed by Japan and the USA eastwards. China has also staked massive claims in many African countries, something that has only recently been picked up on by the West because no one really considered Africa outside of certain mineral rich areas to be much of note.

Like so many other things of the 90's and early 00's the idea that there were no spheres of influence seems an aberration caused by the absolute hegemony that the USA briefly achieved. The truth is that they where always there, those that exercised them just bided their time before reminding everyone about them.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I think Erik Prince was trying to pitch a project that would’ve literally made him viscount of Afghanistan, so we’re well into it.

Reactions: Seanchaidh