China Reveals Censorship Critera for Console Games

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
China Reveals Censorship Critera for Console Games

The Chinese government has released a list of censorship worthy offenses that pretty much gives it the power to ban any console game it wants.

Back in January the Chinese government lifted <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131078-China-Lifts-Ban-on-Sale-and-Production-of-Consoles>a 14-year old ban on the sale of foreign game consoles that would open the country's market to the likes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo for the first time in years. That being the case, people looking on the ban's end as a positive step forward may want to curb their optimism in the light of recently revealed restrictions Chinese state censors intend to place on console games entering the country.

According to a translated government release, video games entering the country will be subject to a long list of standards that they'll have to meet to be sold inside Chinese borders. The list of censor-worthy offenses includes the following:

Gambling Gambling-related content or game features.
Anything that violates China's constitution.
Anything that threatens China's national unity, sovereignty, or territorial integrity.
Anything that harms the nation's reputation, security, or interests.
Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures.
Anything that violates China's policy on religion by promoting cults or superstitions.
Anything that promotes or incites obscenity, drug use, violence, or gambling.
Anything that harms public ethics or China's culture and traditions.
Anything that insults, slanders, or violates the rights of others.
Other content that violates the law.

In other words the Chinese government will have the ability to censor pretty much every popular game currently on the market. Granted, it might not actually hold every game strictly up to these standards. That said, the broad and vague nature of the state's criteria makes it very clear that it wants to have the power and ability to ban whatever it wants whenever it feels like it.

Source: Games in Asia

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US

Oh, China? I think your censorships laws are in violation of your censorship laws. XD

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
In other words, EVERYTHING.
Well actually, I think puzzle games may have a 1/50 chance of making it through.

Wait no, "the game hates me" is a superstition.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Seems like effective law making to me. Make it broad and vague enough as to be manipulated in favor of any whim or plan.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
After "Anything that harms the nation's [...] interests." you really don't need anything else.
Because if you are in the goverment you can always yell: this runs against our interests!!! and no one can really say anything against that...

Second captcha that really works super well with my comment within 3 minutes!
"Ultimate power"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
MCerberus said:
Well actually, I think puzzle games may have a 1/50 chance of making it through.

It's religion, really:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/RNG-283x220.jpg

XD

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
MCerberus said:

It's religion, really:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/RNG-283x220.jpg

XD
Praise be RNGesus

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
So they lifted a ban on foreign games being sold. To only replace with the ability to censor pretty much anything they see fit.

Yea I doubt many, if any, game companies will even try to sell in China.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Welp, with this they can censor ANYTHING. Seriously. I'm talking thomas was alone being bannable levels of shit.

It makes U.S. obscenity laws look lawful and wholesome, and those are some really unethical laws.

I mean think about it, if you really want to, checkers and chess could be censored due to number 5.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Sleekit said:
I would agree more, but China's focus, the government, not the people, has been on information suppression and public subjugation. I get the feeling that a majority of games will not get through, just because of the way China operates. They wouldn't want anything related to human rights and such getting in there.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
The problem with censorship in this case is the same problem with alcohol consumption. They will have made many games taboo, as they currently are, and people will pirate all the banned, and censored versions like moonshine across the US.

These are too broad, and will be too liberally implemented.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
"Gambling Gambling-related content or game features.
Anything that violates China's constitution.
Anything that threatens China's national unity, sovereignty, or territorial integrity.
Anything that harms the nation's reputation, security, or interests.
Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures.
Anything that violates China's policy on religion by promoting cults or superstitions.
Anything that harms public ethics or China's culture and traditions.
Other content that violates the law"

So I guess playing Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires with the intent of taking over China as a custom made Japanese faction would be gigantic no-no?

"Anything that harms public ethics or China's culture and traditions."
"Anything that harms the nation's reputation, security, or interests."

Joy. I guess in that case I'll also make sure to execute every single officer I can in the game too. Well, you know, except for the ones I like.

'y'know if you go the most shocking thing is actually how much it is like America.'

Well, if we're being technical I can totally shoot Americans in basically any first person shooter that has multiplayer. And if we're talking about people that aren't half as polite as I am, we can also throw in teabagging, shooting up their dead corpse with bullets, and then calling them a ton of colorful names

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
Brian Tams said:
Basically Nintendo's entire library of First-Party games are good to go, no questions asked.
Oh, really?

So much for Mario using super mushrooms and stomping enemies. Or Pokemon battles. Or using Samus Aran's powersuit. Or swinging Link's sword...

...or the rest of the Legend of **censored**

I never played Animal Crossing, so that might be okay, I dunno.