China urged to tackle online racism targeting Black people

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Human Rights Watch has found racist content targeting Black people is becoming increasingly prevalent on China’s social media platforms where it is being used to attract traffic and generate profit.

The rights group reviewed hundreds of videos and posts from 2021 on platforms including Weibo, a short messaging app, and Douyin, the Chinese TikTok, and said it found that content often portrayed Black people through “offensive racial stereotypes”.

... “The Chinese government likes to tout China-Africa anti-colonial solidarity and unity, but at the same time, ignores pervasive hate speech against Black people on the Chinese internet,” Yaqiu Wang, senior China researcher at Human Rights Watch said in a statement. “Beijing should recognise that undertaking investments in Africa and embracing China-Africa friendship won’t undo harm caused by unaddressed racism.”

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It sucks, but the default for human society is that Racism is prevalent and tolerated or even encouraged. Even within Africa there's plenty of racism toward other African, iirc last year south Africa had race riot toward African from other country stealing jobs.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It sucks, but the default for human society is that Racism is prevalent and tolerated or even encouraged.
Current human society, yes. The amount of racism varies from time to time and place to place, however.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
While I cannot speak about being personally impacted by it, I have witnessed anti-black racism firsthand in China. To a rather shocking degree.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
There pretty much are no black people in China, it's not like China's got any real motivation to do anything about it. And it's not like their non-Han minorities have a great time of it even though there are plenty of them.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
There pretty much are no black people in China, it's not like China's got any real motivation to do anything about it. And it's not like their non-Han minorities have a great time of it even though there are plenty of them.
China unlike the US does not know how to weld soft power. Its minorities are a source of potential soft power, but they refuse to see it. Look at how African Americans create US culture everywhere across the globe with their food, music, dance, and dynamic culture.

Funny enough a Han Chinese or Chinese American scholar at my alma mater thinks every time a rising power rises they invade a smaller power next to them for whatever reason(s) like the US vs Mexico in the 1800s or soon-to-be China(PRC) v Taiwan/ROC.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Funny enough a Han Chinese or Chinese American scholar at my alma mater thinks every time a rising power rises they invade a smaller power next to them for whatever reason(s) like the US vs Mexico in the 1800s or soon-to-be China(PRC) v Taiwan/ROC.
It's not like I disagree, except that I think mature powers, or any country generally larger than those around them has a tendency to invade someone. Of course, China already has invaded several countries: Tibet, Vietnam, for instance.

Fundamentally, war is an extension of diplomacy. All countries seek to get their way, and those that believe they have the ability to get their way through war will tend to use war. So was inscribed on French cannons in the reign of Louis XIV "ultima ratio regum": "final argument of kings".

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
While I cannot speak about being personally impacted by it, I have witnessed anti-black racism firsthand in China. To a rather shocking degree.
Can confirm

They have also had race riots against African Chinese over the decades. No dearhs but a lot of beatings