China's Knockoff Gundam Gets a Hideous Makeover

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
China's Knockoff Gundam Gets a Hideous Makeover

The good news: China's knockoff life-sized Gundam statue no longer looks like a Gundam. The bad news: Now it just looks ugly.

A recap: First, an amusement part in China's Sichuan province built an took the statue down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105988-China-Pirates-Japans-Giant-Gundam-Statue] and pretended the statue had never existed.

Well, now it's back, and it has been extensively remodeled so that it no longer looks like a Gundam. Spikes and tubes have been added all over the place, the joints are different, and it's now apparently running on nuclear power. Wait a minute: Shoulder spikes and a weird extended nose with head tubing? It might not be a Gundam anymore, but now it bears more than a few similarities to the MS-07B Gouf [http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/ms-07b.htm].

Of course, superficial similarities aside, it doesn't really look that much like the Gouf anymore. In fact, it doesn't really look like that much of anything.

It's just hideous. If this is China's idea of what awesome fighting robots should look like, I don't think we have any reason to fear an invasion of stylish yet cheaply-mass-produced Chinese mecha anytime soon.

(Kotaku [http://blog.livedoor.jp/himasoku123/archives/51593850.html])

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Yellow is definitely not it's color. China should stick to childrens toys with dangerous chemicals in them, leave the mechs to Japan.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Uh... Wow. What can you say to this... Monstrosity?

Granted, I didn't like the look of a Gundam either, but this is just... Ouch.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Still looks like a Gundam.

But a Gundam designed by little kids who like yellow and think that spikes are cool!

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Awesome stuff from Japan.
Mass produced ugly stuff from China.

Yep, nothing has changed.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
My student recently did a research project on Real-G (The 1:1 Gundam in Japan). He was devastated when he saw this. Rightfully so. This is disgraceful.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Still waiting for the huge Kamina statue from TTGL to be built... If they can build a mecha statue they can build a Kamina statue goddammit!

And yea it still looks like a Gundam

Otaku13

Feb 4, 2010
Wow, it looks like someone tried to fuse a gundam, with a chaos space marine, and one of the power rangers monsters in all the worst ways possible.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
In a country where copyright is printed on toilet paper why did they even bother. They are the country known for pretty much just not giving a fuck about trying to mask their theft. I mean with brands like Avivas Cnoverse, pmua, The Iped, HIphone, They could have painted the thing up the same and called it a Dungam and called it a day.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
mb16 said:
well i think all gundams are stupid so....

MADCAT AND PROPER MECHS FTW!!!!
Take your pig disgusting Western-mecha-that-are-really-just-ripped-off-from-better-Japanese-designs and get out :p

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I cant wait till Japan sees this and gets offended by the Chinese appearantly thinking they're retarded or something.

I mean, even if it doesnt like like a gundam, it looks like the other MS model. I wonder how many times we'll see this story and how many different ways they design their... wait, what is China even calling this? Cause I'm honestly expecting it to be called something like a Tundam or something similar.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
I think I remember Amuro cutting a bunch of those in half.

Seriously, they should have replaced it with a Zaku. Then again, they probably wouldn't want to look like they were endorsing Zeon.

Chalksoup

Mar 6, 2009
probly would have been better if they did black, white, and yellow accent for a color scheme instead that horrible primary color mess w/green nuke symbol. least i don't have look at it everyday...also maybe it's just the lighting in the picture but the yellow parts of the legs and the shoulder pads look kinda lumpy like they're made of paper mache.